1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Superman DVD

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, May 4, 2001.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

So, who else has picked this up? Aside from the snapper case and the side a/side b thing, this is a really great DVD!

2. Nass

Nass Newsman Nass

Yeah! DVD of the year

I agree with you, and IGN, the presentation is a bit .....under-quality. But everything on it is terrific, Superman is ten times better than X-men (to me! let the criticism begin!). But I can't beleive they cut Fire and Ice from the movie...plus Lois' mom is the original Lois Lane from the old George Reeves Superman show! A great addition! "Superman 2000" as it was supposedly gonna be called is great, looks better.....if they released in theaters, I wouldn't be surprised to see it top Titanic...(I get too excited). Who cares if its incredibly long? Your cramming America's hero into a movie...the ideal savior of truth, justice, and the American way (and Canadian way for you canucks. Cuz if someone took over America, Canada would be next, so we'll say its both). So, yeah I agree. :)

3. Robin III

Robin III WF Co-Founder

Superman

This has to be one of the best DVDs I've picked up recently. While I agree on the snapcase and flip side points, I also agree with the fact that it's amazing! The colour and sound restoration is fabulous, and those added scenes are great! Especially the longer ones like the Kryptonian Council, Young Lois and bar none -- Fire and Ice! Why? WHY? Did they cut that out of the first one! (I haven't listened to the director's comments yet, so I don't know if they explain, but still that scene was amazing!)

I really wish they do something like this for the Batman movies, even if they just do the first one, but I'd like to see Forever as well, especially all those cut scenes from there! (Arkham Asylum escape anyone? The stills from that are sweet!)

4. James Harvey

I definatly agree!

It is a beautiful DVD with one of the nicest menus, transfers, etc, I've ever seen. My only quams are the ones I listed. This is definatly up there on the best DVDs ever made. I consider FIGHT CLUB to be the best DVD ever made, followed by TOY STORY TOY BOX SET. I watched this movie for the first real time probably, and loved it. I couldn't help giggle when I saw young Clark run aside that train with limbs flailing. Now, RobinIII, you mentioned stills from the Arkham escape (actually seen in U2's video for BATMAN FOREVER, "Hold me, Touch me, Kiss me, Kill me"). Can you post up some of those stills somehow, or point us in the direction? I've gotten 2 more emails which say WB is doing an SPECIAL EDITION which I'll slap up on the newspage this weekend. It's funny how they keep going out of their way to deny this, something they NEVER regularly do. Overall, SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE is beautiful DVD and worthy of the 4 stars the MPAA gives it. The remaining DVDs in the set are dissapointing, but that's only expected. I haven't seen this DVD for more than $25 anywhere's, so it's a great price! Now what about some animated episodes...?

5. Domino

Domino Active Member

I got the whole four pack at Best Buy for $50, and it was well worth it to me. Superman-The Movie's special features were excellent. The commentary track with Richard Donner and Tom Manciewicz (I'm sure I barbecued his name there) was informative, but I especially liked seeing the screen test of Christopher Reeve and all of the tryouts for Lois. Don't forget on that scene on the train, that not only is Lois' mother played by Noel Neill, who played Lois on the TV show, but her father is played by Kirk Alyn, who played Superman in the movie serials. He also played Blackhawk, for those of you who are older comic book fans!

I have to say that the sequels are very weak in many places, but that's what is so great about DVDs. I can skip right to the part in Superman II where Supes pulls up to the window of the Daily Planet and hurls forth the challenge, "General, would you care to step outside?" Still makes me want to cheer 20 years later!

6. Vigo Sprax

Vigo Sprax Member

I find "Father's Farewell" to be a bit boring, and "Can You Read My Mind" to be...funny. Besides that, great film. The transfer is superb and so is the sound. I was really impressed and glad I bought it.

I agree that packaging stinks, they didn't even label the what sides what! Does anyone here own JFK? Its the nicest setup I've ever seen for one of those snap cases. The front folds out (Like Matrix) and ALSO has a slot in it to hold a 2nd disc in a paper sleeve. This would have been ideal since they could have then given the main movie DVD some artwork (Which it deserves).

I bought the entire box set & while I knew the first movie was going to be loaded I expected the others, at least the second, to have some features. Supposedly the second film had A LOT cut from it.

7. Joker85

Joker85 Clown Prince

I picked up the Superman DVD on Friday and thought it was Excellent!! I loved all the added scenes and really enjoyed seeing the original TV spot. The packaging wasn't the best, but then again what can you expect from WB? I didn't buy the others because, well, they sucked. Superman 2 was pretty good but after that they went downhill. Kind of like the Batman movies.

8. RAMPAGE

RAMPAGE Member

Forever and Fire and Ice

What DID happen in this Fire and Ice scene ya'll talking about? And details on the Forever Arkham Breakout? Can soemone give me details?

Oh, it looks like the Batman DVD's won't be made. I heard it somewhere, I forget. They'll do like only the first movie if any.

9. James Harvey

I think the SUPERMAN DVD could've been WB's answer to Fox's ASTONISHING FIGHT CLUB DVD. Both have an amazing looking DVD (in many ways) and are emersed in extras. Superman would've made a beautiful two disc set instead of a double sized (hiss!) DVD 18. I would've loved to have seen something done at least in the style of Fox's X-MEN DVD. Hell, the Superman DVD was way better than that DVD. WB missed out big time on a possible gigantic, beautiful DVD set, but why am I not suprised? And as for those "missing" scenes...

The "Fire & Ice" scene in SUPERMAN was when Superman heads into Luthor's lair and has to fight against his defenses, which are an automatic weapon, a fire machine, and an ice machine. Simple as that, but well done.

The "Arkham Breakout" scene is how BATMAN FOREVER was supposed to begin. We see Dr. Burton walk down the hall to Dent's cell. He asks for Dent, but there is no response. He opens the door and sees on of the orderlies unconcscious on the floor and "THE BAT MUST DIE" written on the wall, either in paint or blood and the roof window is shattered. This was supposed to lead into the scene where Bruce is introduced to Nygma, and THEN we get the bank break-in. Those scenes were re-arranged and chopped to make the pace quicker and emphasize Jim Carrey's role more.

A website, not too long ago, had a list of all the deleted scenes, 17, I think. If they remained in, this movie would've been much more darker.

10. Christo

Christo Member

The inexpensive (cheap) packaging is my only quibble with Superman , but, having bought the box set, I was disappointed the other 3 movies had no extras. Some commentary on the Donner vs. Lester scenes in Superman II, the scenes with Marlon Brando that were cut for SII come immediately to mind. And Superman IV was origianlly two hours long and cut to 90 minutes -- maybe that extra footage might have helped the movie make sense!

I also kinda wish you could watch Superman the original way OR with the extra footage. Still, these are tiny, tiny faults in what is a great rendition of one of the greatest movies of all time. Well worth the money.

11. James Harvey

Agreed!

I would've liked to have seen both versions on the disc. INDEPENDANCE DAY 2 DSIC SET did it, and it was pulled off nicely. I think, again, WB missed out on a big package becuase of the horribly cheap packaging. The WB discs are hard to put away becuase they're more clunkier than the regular normal DVDs. Still, I will praise WB for a helluva beautiful transfer and great extras. The three documentaries were first rate. Since the re-issue of THE MUMMY DVD hit #1 in DVD sales, I'm eager to see if SUPERMAN will do the same.

12. DR.MID-NITE

DR.MID-NITE The Original

Superman looks and sounds great. Now, if we can only get Warner to redo the Batman(1989) movie as a Special Edition.

ps-Along with the Supers & Bats cartoons.

13. Domino

Domino Active Member

Now that I compare it to the quality of my VHS copy, it really is the ultimate reproduction. I would have paid $50 for just the first one, let alone all four.

14. Robin III

Robin III WF Co-Founder

Forever Edits

I've been going through countless floppy disks to find the few pics that I saved of the cut scene, but to no avail so far. I have 2 pictures of it that I could scan. They're noting special, just Dr. Burton looking up in a shaft of light, and the words on the wall. I'll post them immediately if I find them. I actually saw the scene as a bootleg ages ago. Someone had a copy of just that scene back in 1996 (a year after Forever) and it was extremely dark. Also, it was emphasized that Two-Face didn't knock out the guard, but cut his throat and used some handy nearby 'red paint' to put "THE BAT MUST DIE" on the wall.

I should also get out the original draft of the screenplay that I have somewhere (150 some odd printed pages) that has a lot more edits in it (never known if they were filmed or not). Some are in the trading card set too, like Riddler using a huge golden cyringe on Chase's eck (after the "like my Jacket...?" scene) another with scenes of Bruce and Alfred exploring the destroyed cave trying to get Bruce's memories back, and naturally, the long lost Bruce meets the giant Bat of his nightmares scene.

15. James Harvey

Two-Face

That would've been a perfect opening! I see clips of those all the time. I remember seeing it in the trailer and in the 'MAKING OF BATMAN FOREVER' That book, tabloid size, gave a lot of interesting pics and info about the movie. And since we're providing movie FYIs, did you know in the original SUPERMAN 1978 movie script, he was supposed to fly to New York and say "Who loves ya, baby?" to Kojak! Kojak was the title character of a popular 70's show. Anyone else know any movie lost scenes of FYIs?