1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman: American Alien (2015 Mini-Seres)" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Nov 11, 2015.

?

Rate "Superman: American Alien" and join the Discussion below!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Explore the origins of the Man of Steel in this unique take on Superman's backstory.

SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN #1

[​IMG]

Written by MAX LANDIS
    Art by NICK DRAGOTTA

Hollywood screenwriter and Eisner Award nominee Max Landis joins forces with top comics artists including Jock, Francis Manapul and Jae Lee to bring you Superman: American Alien, a 7-issue miniseries chronicling the life of Clark Kent and his development into the archetypal hero he will eventually become. But these are not the stories of the iconic “Superman” as you know him, but of the soft-spoken, charming, often-funny Kansas farm-boy behind the Man of Steel. With the tone of each issue ranging from heartwarming and simple, to frighteningly gritty and violent, to sexy, sun-kissed and funny, Superman: American Alien is unlike anything you’ve seen before.

In this first issue, superstar artist Nick Dragotta illustrates the story of Jonathan and Martha Kent as they struggle to deal with their 12-year-old son’s latest quirk—he’s been floating up into the air, sometimes hundreds of feet!

Comments? Discuss this DC Comics mini-series!

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

A really great issue. Really really really good stuff here. This issue felt much more like "Superman" to me than the regular Superman titles and those are books I'm actually still drawing enjoyment from despite how much they've distanced themselves from what we expect in a traditional Superman comic. A really great story with some pretty touching moments. When they want to, DC Comics can really do things right.

3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I'm sure I sighed or rolled my eyes when the series was first solicited. "ANOTHER origin story??" I thought to myself. ANOTHER origin story that promises us it's unlike anything we've seen before? How much more can they keep doing this?

Anyway, keeping all that in mind. I was pleasantly surprised with this series. I don't think it brings anything to the table in terms of re-defining the mythos or origin story. The whole thing was different and unlike anything I've seen before, all in a good way. I wouldn't have minded American Alien to be the official New 52 Superman origin story, because I think this is way more better than the Morrison new 52 Action Comics origin arc. Heck, I think if American Alien came out years ago, I wonder if Man Of Steel would have just been a film version of this.

I hope we can give the Superman origin a rest for awhile now. It's been more than done to death, and I've already made up my mind for years now which I consider the definitive Superman origin story. I'm sure I'm not the only one.