1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 28, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Superman"

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

50.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Superman faces off against Vandal Savage!

SUPERMAN ANNUAL #3

[​IMG]

Written by GEOFF JOHNS
    Art by DAN JURGENS and BILL SIENKIEWICZ

"Man of Tomorrow. Man of Yesterday." Superman and Vandal Savage have been on a collision course for centuries. As Kal-El struggles to survive against this barbarian’s attacking hordes, we reveal the events that led to Vandal Savage’s creation—and his unexpected connection to Krypton. Immortals gather to put an end to the Last Son of Krypton so Earth may live!

Discuss this Comic!

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

This annual was a pretty good start to the next Superman crossover story and it looks like this is the one that will restore his powers to normal. We all knew it was coming but stories like these are more about the journey and I've enjoyed it even if it's starting to drag just a little. Superman has been a bit more angsty than I'd like, and I'm hoping that'll be done with once he gets his powers back. But still this was a good issue. The artwork here was excellent and I like how the two different eras had two distinct styles. The look at Savage's origin was also well done. They tied it a bit closer to Superman's which I thought wasn't entirely successful but I like how they made him into someone who after gaining power after being denied it for years, is willing to do anything to hang on to it. An interesting parallel to Superman's current status.

3. James Harvey

Can Kryptonite save the Man of Steel's life?

SUPERMAN #48

[​IMG]

Written by GENE LUEN YANG
    Art and cover by HOWARD PORTER

“The Savage Dawn” continues! Time is running out, and Superman must make a fateful choice! Can he risk exposing himself to the one thing that could save him: Kryptonite?

Discuss this comic!

4. Wonder Woman

I was hoping we'd get to see more of "mortal" Superman but I don't mind that this issue just pushes that aside and continues with Superman looking to regain his power and the idea of using Kryptonite to trigger them it pretty interesting. That last page where he says "I just heave myself in" and the image of him slumped in that massive collection of krpytonite is an awesome image. A good issue even if it got bogged down a little with some sideplots.

What was also kinda weird was that cold open at a presidential debate (though any time someone makes fun of Trump is worth it) and the discussion between Steve Trevor and Clark about his relationship with Wonder Woman was also a bit awkward. The artist used for the first few pages also clashed with Porter's work later in the issue I thought.

5. James Harvey

The onslaught against Savage continues!

SUPERMAN #49

[​IMG]

"Savage Dawn" continues! Superman and Wonder Woman lead an army of gods and monsters against Vandal Savage and his deadly spawn!

Discuss this comic!

6. Wonder Woman

This is definitely starting to drag on way too long but thankfully it feels like we're getting to the end of it all. Vandal Savage has got the meteor headed to earth and Superman has used Metallo's kryptonite heart to give himself another boost. It was also great to see so many heroes come to the rescue to help once Savage's children started showing up. It was a great moment that felt like the old DC I remember. The art was great too. Still I'm ready to wrap this up already.

7. James Harvey

The finale "Savage Dawn" and Gene Luen Yang's final issue of Superman!

SUPERMAN #50

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"Savage Dawn" concludes! Superman returns in all his glory in this very special issue that sees the Man of Steel back to full power as he faces his greatest enemy and also comes face to face with the pre-Flashpoint Kal-El! At last, it’s the meeting of the Supermen you’ve been waiting for!

Discuss this comic!

8. Wonder Woman

So that's it for Yang on Superman. Man, DC Comics really wasted his talents on this book. The earlier part of his run was really great but the second half just became so muddled with the crossovers and stuff. This issue was a good wrap-up to the Vandal Savage arc even if it felt a little bit overstuffed. So much happened but it was good overall. They have a few things left they need to tackle like Superman and his secret identity but I guess this is a good place to end on. I wish Yang has more time to properly end his run since he didn't really get a send off here like Pak did on Action Comics.