1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 28, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Superman"

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

50.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

Ok, I admit not reading post Flashpoint Superman, or anything else sans Flash, but I read some angry descriptions about

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Superman's identity exposed...but how? The new DC Universe! Are you ready?

SUPERMAN #41

[​IMG]

Written by GENE LUEN YANG
    Art and cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR. and KLAUS JANSON

The epic new storyline “TRUTH” continues with the debut of the amazing new creative team of new writer Gene Luen Yang (American Born Chinese) and continuing artists John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson! What will happen when the big secret is revealed?

Comments? Discuss this comic!

4. rggkjg1

So, this arc is a prequel to "Truth"? I thought the MAIN "Truth" story was going to be here, so I was expecting this issue to have the Divergence content somewhere here. I just don't get every single Superman title having their own separate "Truth" arcs (Action Comics 41 was the first "Truth" story, which ends on a cliffhanger I assumed was going to be continued next week in Batman/Superman 21, etc etc). I guess its good we're getting a "prequel", because all this time we'd be asking why/how his identity got exposed if this issue opened up with the Divergence content (which is basically what I expected).

Just as the Geoff Johns arc did, this is looking to be another straight up Superman story. Not the pre crisis Superman, Not the post crisis Superman, not the New 52 Superman. Pretty solid debut for a new writer and new arc. I'm hoping this "prequel" story gets dragged out for awhile and continues to be straight up Superman.

5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

It seems like the different Superman books will deal with "Truth" in their own way. Superman/Wonder Woman will show how it impacts their (now former) relationship and Batman/Superman likely how the new status quo for each character is changed. I'm looking forward to learning how it all came to be and this issue was a great start I thought. I still find Action Comics to be the better of the two though. The Superman in Action Comcis feels more like Superman to me and interested to see how this affects him on a smaller level. It looks like Truth here in this book will go bigger. Romita is also getting much better and comfortable it seems. He did a great job with this issue. Yang also nailed it here I thought. I am interested to see what he will do once Truth is done based on his older works.

6. James Harvey

Learn how Lois uncovers the secret!

SUPERMAN #42

[​IMG]

The Superman epic you never expected – "TRUTH" continues! Has Lois Lane betrayed Superman with the truth?

7. Wonder Woman

So we have our first hint as to why Superman is depowered. Some mysterious person touched him and did something to him in his weakened state. I also like how Lois Lane came to discover his identity. She figured it out and I like how she put Superman in his place and dismantled his logic. Really makes their relationship interesting here. We all know they end up together in the end, they always will, but I like the different and interesting reaction. I still wonder what role Lois plays in Superman's ID going public since the circumstances everyone presumed was going to happen looks unlikely now. I know a bunch of people are crying foul over how DC is currently handling Superman and while it is something different I'm really interested in how this is playing out. They have a good story going on here I find.

I like the article Kotaku put up about this - http://kotaku.com/lois-lane-finally-figured-out-that-superman-is-clark-ke-1720872055

8. rggkjg1

I honestly haven't seen much in the new 52 where I would consider Lois & Clark "close friends" as I consider them in the pre crisis and post crisis (before engagement). Let alone see any kind of "relationship" with Superman or Clark which would be considered "love interest". So, I just don't get how she's really in a position to be this mad at Clark/Superman.

9. James Harvey

Is this how the world finds out about Superman's secret identity?

SUPERMAN #43

[​IMG]

Before "Truth": Superman’s very existence is threatened, and Lois Lane must make the toughest choice of her life!

10. Wonder Woman

Lois did the right thing but the way Superman just rips into her makes is come off as scummy when it shouldn't. He definitely owes her an apology. And since the ID of Clark doesn't seem as crucial to Superman's character as it did in previous continuities, I think it could actually be lost here and wouldn't do any real damage to the character. The story has been good but not as great as it could be. The villain, who will definitely be dated in no time, could use some more development too.

11. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

clark kent as always been the most real part of superman
    I don't understand the hate for his secret identity all the sudden

12. James Harvey

The fallout of Superman's exposed identity continues!

SUPERMAN #44

[​IMG]

The epic "Truth" arc reaches its finale as the Daily Planet and its staff may be the first casualties of Clark’s identity being revealed!

Discuss this comic!

13. Wonder Woman

The statement that Superman says at the end of the issue is interesting. I wonder if this will basically be enough for writers to not have to worry about villains going after his old colleagues and stuff now that his secret identity is out. And I actually don't mind it being out. I'm interested in seeing where it all goes with this. And this issue ends where the the arc began so it looks like we're all caught up. Probably the best issue since the status quo change.

14. rggkjg1

15. James Harvey

Superman continues to adjust to his new place in the world.

SUPERMAN #45

[​IMG]

After having his secret identity exposed, Superman vowed to bring to justice anyone who hurt those close to him. But when a villain calls his bluff, how far will the Man of Steel go?

Discuss this comic!

16. Wonder Woman

Even though I'm basically talking to myself here in all these talkbacks I'll still leave a comment. I'm enjoying the book even though I feel this arc is starting to drag a bit. I also get the feeling that Yang isn't really being utilized the best he could here but I suppose that is normal under editorially driven books. I wonder how much longer he'll last on the comic.

17. James Harvey

The first rule of Super-Fight Club is...

SUPERMAN #46

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Art and cover by HOWARD PORTER

Robbed of his identity, his loved ones and his home, a broken Superman is forced to join a super-fight club. The stakes? His life!

Discuss this comic!

18. Wonder Woman

While Jimmy clearly isn't dead the cliffhanger does give me hope that this story is shifting into the final stage. I still think the book is fine, but it seems to be dragging and this Mythbrawl thing seems to be filler at best. That said the fill-in art by Howard Porter is beautiful to look at. It's not as detailed as his work on JL 3000 but it's still fantastic. While I don't mind the whole thing about Superman's powers being toned down and his ID out I am starting to miss some of the more classic Superman tropes.

19. James Harvey

The countdown to the status-quo altering issue #50 begins!

SUPERMAN #47

[​IMG]

Art and cover by HOWARD PORTER

What would happen if the powers of all of Superman’s foes were contained in one villain? You’ll find out when you meet the Amalgam of Composite Superman Foes—and this is one nightmare a semi-powered Man of Steel may not survive! Join series writer Gene Luen Yang and guest artist Howard Porter for an unforgettable new epic!

Discuss this comic!

20. Wonder Woman

A lot happened here but the issue never felt overstuffed. Yang did a good job and the cliffhanger finale was pretty cool. It's nice to see DC Comics bringing back Vandal Savage. But I have a feeling the three or four epilogue pages with art done by fill-ins must've been rewrites or something. It's weird to have the whole issue done by Porter save for a handful near the end. The final page itself is done by Porter, which makes the proceeding fill-in pages all the more weird. It must've been a rewrite. I have a feeling that rumors of DC Comics trying to get their big heroes back at their usual status quo might be true and this would align with that.