1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Superman (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 28, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Superman"

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

50.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

A new foe comes to light as "The Men of Tomorrow" continues!

SUPERMAN #34

[​IMG]

Written by GEOFF JOHNS
    Art and wraparound cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR. and KLAUS JANSON

Introducing the bizarre villain known as The Machinist- the man behind the recent technological attacks on Metropolis. But what is his strange connection to Superman? Where is he from? And what does The Machinist want with The Daily Planet? Plus, the mystery behind the disaster at the Ulysses Research Lab sends Clark on an investigation that will reveal a dark secret from his past.

Comments? Discuss this comic!

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Just ebayed the Romita Sr cover. Lol. I love how for the themed (gimmick would be more appropriate) variants I have no interest in (bombshell, Batman 75, selfie, etc) I can buy at the cover price, yet variants I actually want to buy (Batman '66 and this cover), I have to pay MORE.

Since the release of Man Of Steel, has anyone else noticed an increase of Superman stories/plots/situations/scenarios/etc that reflect/address the issue of killing/not killing?

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually expected the killing/no killing issue to be a point of friction between Superman and Ulysses since the last issue where Ulysses fought those soldiers, but I guess you have a point about how it could be related to the Man of Steel controversy :sweat:.

I wonder if the Machinist is actually a new villain or if he's really the cloaked man who keeps appearing and knows who Superman is Clark Kent?

4. James Harvey

Not everything is what it seems...

SUPERMAN #35

[​IMG]

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

The hit SUPERMAN run by Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. continues with "THE MEN OF TOMORROW" Chapter four! Superman and Ulysses are still dealing with the traumatic revelations of last issue, but the hunt for The Machinist must continue before his would-be-victims fall into his hands. But what happens when the two heroes learn the truth behind The Machinist and the cost to stopping his mad plan?

5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

That was a bit if a disappointing resolution to last issue's cliffhanger. The guy was already dead but Ulysses would have killed him if he wasn't already. Well I guess it still does bring up the whole morality part of it without having him directly kill someone. And I can really see where people are getting the Supernan IV feelings from. The story seems to have stalled a little but the artwork is still amazing. I'm really getting used to how Romita does Superman and I cannot wait for his take on Batman in a few months. I remember his version of Batman from that Punisher/Batman one-shot years ago and I can't wait to see it again.

6. James Harvey

Who is going to save the earth?

SUPERMAN #36

[​IMG]

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. continue their stunning work on Superman with "THE MEN OF TOMORROW - Chapter Five!" Superman and Ulysses are an unstoppable team, thwarting the plot of one super-villain after another, but when Ulysses sees a larger menace threatening Earth why does the Man of Steel refuse to help him? Plus, Superman is about to undergo a metamorphosis...but what is it?

7. Wonder Woman

So it looks like Ulysses and his plan is not exactly what he was telling everyone. Not too surprised there. It actually feels a bit similar to what just happened over in Superman Unchained. With two issues left there is still plenty of different ways for this to play out but I am hoping that Johns just doesn't make this into another story where Ulysses turns out to be some reverse-Superman type villain.

8. James Harvey

What price will Superman pay?

SUPERMAN #37

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

Can there be peace and good will toward people without a price? Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. serve up some holiday shocks as they answer this question and more in this the penultimate chapter of “Men of Tomorrow”! And be warned – some significant changes are in store for the Man of Steel to ring in the New Year!

9. Wonder Woman

Well it looks like Ulysses is becoming the bad guy we all sort of expected him him to be. He doesn't want to save millions of people but instead use them to fuel the core of his planet. Looks like we still have a big slugfest to go, too. The story could be moving a little bit faster though and I would like to know who the mystery person is who is snooping on Superman. Aside from that this story has been a little ho-hum.

10. James Harvey

New costume! New power!

SUPERMAN #38

[​IMG]

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

An extra-sized special issue of the world's greatest hero brings in the New Year with a new costume, new powers and new friends and enemies! The epic team of Geoff Johns, John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson conclude their first arc with twist after twist that will send Superman onto a new path and force Clark Kent to making a shocking decision! Plus: John Romita Jr. draws Batman!

11. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

I hate the new costume And the pointless unneeded new power! Just what is going through DC's Minds? If this is what appeals to today's fans I weep

12. Wonder Woman

Given that your instant reaction to anything relating to The New 52 is immediately negative, this response is not a surprise. However, as someone who's read the comic, I found the issue good. The arc hasn't been blowing me away but it's still a treat to see Romita drawing Superman even if I think he'd be more suited to Batman (and that shows in this issue when Batman shows up). The new power is interesting and I like the implication of it. It's too dangerous to use and if he has to there are consequences. It's a neat idea. And the scene where his new power comes to light is actually pretty frightening and nicely handled. The fallout from the power is interesting too and it'll be neat to see how other writers use it. It makes Superman extremely vulnerable and human like the rest of us which could open up for some really neat story opportunities. It's a neat way to depower him but I'm sure it'll just get lambasted by everyone because it's "new 52" (eye roll).

The updated costume is a step in the right direction. The armor is gone and replaced with a more streamlined take on the New 52 costume. It's much better and is what the costume should've looked like from the start of the reboot. All in all it's a step in the right direction for the comic and I hope other characters start getting slight redesigns going forward.

And that fact that Superman revealed his identity to Jimmy is actually a great twist on what we come to expect from the character. All in all there were some good twists in this issue and it was a solid read.

13. rggkjg1

People who don't like Superman will always say "He's too powerful" as one of their reasons why they don't like the character. So my response to this new power is "Everyone complains about Superman being too powerful, WHY are they making him even MORE too powerful?" I mean, If Superman gets his powers from the sun, then I guess its not absurd to think that maybe if a being from Krypton absorbs enough sun rays they would be able to have a Super-flare power, and if it was used they would have no powers and have to wait 24 hours to get them back. It makes sense to me, but I'd rather Superman be "too powerful" because of the powers he already has (and traditionally associate with the character), not because of new powers. I don't know. I think they hyped this new power up too much, and it's going to be retconned (or he'll just lose this power) one day. So in the end, it doesn't even matter. What does these days?

No surprise, this has been an impressive arc and easily one of the best (if not THE best) offerings from New 52 since it began. The "new" suit looks a little better without the armor, considering I thought it looked the worst I ever saw it when Romita drew it, but it still the same format as the armor suit. We all know what Superman suit I want to come back.

14. Wonder Woman

15. James Harvey

The fallout from last month's cliffhanger ending!

SUPERMAN #39

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

This emotional story reveals a rarely seen side of The Man of Steel as an ordinary person, as the super-star team of Geoff Johns, John Romita, Jr. and Klaus Janson conclude their epic run on the series!

16. Wonder Woman

My favorite scene is definitely that short sequence in the alley where a powerless Superman stops a mugging gone bad. That scene is such a "Superman" scene. it's so well written and feels so right as a great Superman moment. The issue is a nice epilogue to the storyline and is a nice look at Superman as he deals with him being powerless. It's such a great great scene. A great issue for Johns to wrap up his story on.

17. rggkjg1

One of the things I found enjoyable with this arc is that it felt like a "straight up" Superman story. It feels like it follows a more normal/traditional Superman status quo, than it does the new 52 Superman status quo. Easily the best Superman arc (in ALL of the Superman titles) since the New 52 began.

18. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

So when Superman changes his mind is he going to have to kiss Jimmy Olsen now?

19. James Harvey

Superman explores his new power, and surprises are revealed, in a special tale written by John Romita Jr!

SUPERMAN #40

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Written by JOHN ROMITA, JR

The spotlight shines on John Romita, Jr. as he goes solo to tell the story of the testing of Superman’s new power against the Justice League! But the appearance of an unexpected enemy could end the Man of Steel’s life!

20. Wonder Woman

Well, this issue was a bit of a let down. It was a nice, small story but the writing really didn't work I thought. While I was glad to see the characters be a bit more lighthearted, they seemed almost too lighthearted here. Even Batman was cracking jokes for a good chunk of the issue. Now I like how friendly all the heroes seemed to each other but it seemed a bit too much in one direction. That said, Romita has really gotten better at drawing Superman. This issue probably had his best artwork to date. The coloring was also really beautiful too. It also looks like the issue ends with Lois figuring out that Superman is Clark Kent. We already knew that was coming based on the FCBD rumors but this issue starts it off.