"Superman (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Sep 28, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Superman"

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

50.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

What is Superman's shocking role in the new DC Universe?

SUPERMAN #1

[​IMG]

Written by GEORGE PEREZ
    Breakdowns and cover by GEORGE PEREZ
    Art by JESUS MERINO

The new adventures of Superman begin here! What is The Man of Steel’s startling new status quo? How does it affect Lois Lane and The Daily Planet? There’s no time for answers now, because Superman must stop a monstrous threat to Metropolis – one that he somehow is the cause of!

Comments?

2. Sunnydee

Sunnydee New Member

I really liked this first issue of Superman. I guess my main concern is that it would feel too much like Action Comics lite, but it felt like its own sort of comic. I was especially impressed with how much I enjoyed the narration. It felt like they were quotes taken directly out of the newspaper and I thought they explained the events pretty well. Most importantly i was impressed with how they were able to tell a full single story in Superman #1. It had a beginning, a middle, and an end. I enjoyed that more than say the cliff hanger at the end of Detective Comics (although i'm not saying that writing longer stories is a bad idea, it was just nice to experience an entire story). It felt more complete than a lot of the other stuff that i've read over these past 4 or 5 weeks (I think Green Arrow tried to tell a story on this level and didn't quite make it).

Granted there were a lot of words and that may have slowed down the story early, but the narration was a key part of battling the alien towards the end. For some reason I think that looking at this from the third person is both fresh in concept and old school in the way it was worded (again, it felt like it was lifted directly from a newspaper). It helped with the pacing. I really wanted this book to be different from Action Comics and a slightly slower book with a different type of storytelling technique was exactly what I was looking for.

Although I think people might be turned off by the amount of words, the second half of the book is really solid and i'll definitely get issue 2.

3. suss2it

suss2it New Member

4. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond New Member

5. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

I read this issue this week, and enjoyed it. Thought Supes here was fun, and liked seeing the nature of Clark's job (working in print newspapers) updated for a more modern media age (and the change in print newspapers' role), even if the Twitter references will seem dated in a decade or so. (Longtime readers, of course, will recall Galaxy owned the "Daily Planet" between the early 70s and up through "Crisis," during which time Clark Kent worked as a news anchor for the WGBS evening news... a previous attempt at updating Clark's job for the then-modern world of TV news).

More remarks on my blog...

6. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

Damn, that was quick! I'm bummed that Perez is leaving Superman because I'm such a big fan of George's art and I was so happy to see him on Superman's relaunched title, I'm hoping that this next guy is going to be good because I think a lot of people were happy to see Perez on the book, he's a damn good creatve talent and it's a shame he's leaving so soon.

7. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i think i enjoyed this first issue more than the first issue of action comics. i'm really looking forward to future issues. i hope perez at least has a finished story arc and giffen wont be picking up where he left off.

8. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

As for the book itself, I really loved the first issue, especially the last page where Clark was leaving for the elevator while listening to everything Lois was saying about him, I have to admit that it made me kind of sad for him. Gotta love how the guy was zipping himself up when he came to the door, lol, DC's getting a tad bit edgy this time around, I kind of like it.

Fun battle and interesting story in issue #1, I liked the fire alien, it was a light and easy way to introduce new readers to Superman and I felt that DC did their job well through the story they told. Bravo DC, bravo!

9. James Harvey

What is Clark Kent's new role in the new at The Daily Planet?

SUPERMAN #2

[​IMG]

Written by GEORGE PEREZ
    Breakdowns and cover by GEORGE PEREZ
    Art by JESUS MERINO

The all-new adventures of Superman continue! Everyone can see the new villain who’s attacking Superman – except The Man of Steel! How can he stop a threat that none of his super-senses can detect? Meanwhile, a Daily Planet reporter starts digging up some dirt on Superman, including a secret that could ruin him forever!

Comments?

10. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Nicola Scott will be drawing #3, 5 and 6! Sweet, I thought she was just doing #3. The previews look really good, but I still think that Lee does the best armour Superman look, and the rest look weak in comparison. However her jeans and tee Superman looks awesome! So much so that I wish she was having a guest stint on Action​ instead.

11. James Harvey

Can Superman save Metropolis from an all-new threat?

SUPERMAN #3

[​IMG]

Written by GEORGE PEREZ
    Art by NICOLA SCOTT and TREVOR SCOTT

Superman finds himself beset as a TV reporter at the new Daily Planet makes a case that Superman brings Metropolis more harm than good, while a vicious new foe attacks those nearest and dearest to Clark Kent! Who are all these new villains attacking Metropolis lately, and what deadly secret connects them? Superman’s not going to like the answer!

Comments?

12. suss2it

suss2it New Member

I don't regularly read this book since I decided to only read one solo for characters that have multiple books, and Action Comics is the Superman one I'm already buying, but since Nicola Scott drew #3, I definitely plan to pick it up next month with the $1 off digital discount. I already looked at the previews, and it looks so good! She draws both the jeans look and armour look really well, and I really wish that she was the one drawing Action instead of Morales.

13. James Harvey

Origins and secrets revealed!

SUPERMAN #4

[​IMG]

Written by GEORGE PEREZ
    Art by JESUS MERINO

Discover the origin of the new foes who have been making The Man of Steel’s life so painful and chaotic lately. What are their ties to the current Action Comics epic? Plus, Lois Lane uncovers a tragic secret from Superman’s past!

Comments?

14. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

So it seems like Superman is himself responsible for the creatures he's been fighting over the past few months but can't remember it. This actually seems pretty interesting and has brought a little spark back to the book. And with Superman apparently having memory problems himself I am interested to see how this pans out over the next two issues. This issue is pushing the plot ahead and I was worried we'd just be getting plain 'villain of the month' stories but this adds a cool twist.

15. James Harvey

Is Superman the cause of Metropolis' destruction?

SUPERMAN #5

[​IMG]

Written by GEORGE PEREZ
    Art by NICOLA SCOTT

There is a malignancy in Metropolis that is ruining the city, and its name is Superman! The aliens who have been attacking The Man of Steel these past few issues unite to purge the Earth of Superman! The worst part? The people of Metropolis seem to agree with the aliens!

Comments?

16. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

I am really perferring Nicola Scott's artwork over the work done by Merino and Perez. She has a great clean style that I think really suits the classic style this book is going for. I am looking forward to seeing what the new writing team on the book will do once Perez wraps up his run next issue. This book does feel a bit stale sometimes compared to others.

17. James Harvey

The first story-arc wraps up!

SUPERMAN #6

[​IMG]

Written by GEORGE PEREZ
    Art by NICOLA SCOTT

Recently, an onslaught of creatures has targeted Superman, nearly destroying Metropolis in the process. And now...Superman is helping them finish the job?! Guest-starring Supergirl!

Comments?

18. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

A nice end to the first arc. This is definitely one of the more 'old-fashioned' of the new 52 books in terms of story and writing. So Superman faces off against a clone and as a result we get some great action. I like how Scott draws Supergirl's costume. It definitely fixes some of the issues I have with it. It looks nicer here I find. The arc does make sense of some of the earlier stuff too like all the creatures attacking. It all makes sense here and actually makes me want to reread the first entire arc again. There is even a cool nod to the Action Comics stuff with the Collector.

Is anyone else dropping the book with the end of this arc or is there anyone trying the book when the new team starts next month?

19. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

i'm staying since i consider keith giffen and dan jurgens "big name" writers and artists. i'm kind of looking forward to the new creative team since i think the perez run might have dragged if he stayed on longer.

20. James Harvey

The new story-arc begins!

SUPERMAN #7

[​IMG]

Written by KEITH GIFFEN and DAN JURGENS
    Art by DAN JURGENS and JESUS MERINO

The start of an insanely epic arc from the new writing team of Keith Giffen and Dan Jurgens! New love interests, new roommates, and a new foe: the wicked Helspont! What does this monster want with Superman, and how does it all connect to the Daemonites?

Comments?