1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Supergirl" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 10, 2016.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"That pod. It’s identical to mine. It’s from Krypton."
    "Supergirl, be careful. You don't know what's in there."
    "Oh my god."

Kara and company are staying on Mondays at 8 p.m. ET, but National City has moved to The CW (and Vancouver). Tonight, cousin Clark visits in the form of Teen Wolf's Tyler Hoechlin.

'Like' Supergirl on Facebook
    'Follow' Supergirl on Twitter

[​IMG]
    "The Adventures Of Supergirl"
    Monday, October 10, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    When a new threat emerges in National City, Kara/Supergirl teams up with her cousin, Clark Kent/Superman, to stop it.

Season One talkback

CWTV.com - Supergirl

2. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Fun premiere, it was good to see Superman team up with Supergirl. I haven't seen much difference from the move over from CBS to CW, though it was fun seeing a few Vancouver landmarks in the revolving restaurant and the Vancouver public library.

Fun Fact, they were filming an episode outside my studio last week. A friend took a pic of Melissa Benoist from far away. It was pretty neat :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked Hoechlin's Supes from what we saw of him here. I liked the lighter, brighter, optimistic, and fun feel he brought to the character and his take on the dichotomy between Clark and Superman. You got the clumsiness but effectiveness of mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent and the confidence and heroic personality of the Man of Steel. I also really liked his dynamic with Kara, and the fun, playful, little sibling relationship they have going on :anime:.

He sounded a little younger then I'm used to for a Superman voice, but I think he did a pretty good job overall. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of him on the show :).

So many Donner references. Goofy and clumsy Clark Kent, Miss Tessmacher, the "statistically speaking" line, Lex Luthor having an Earthquake machine...while it was apparent even back in season one, this episode definitely makes it obvious what the most defining interpretation of Superman is to the creators of Supergirl. Not that I mind ;).

Glad to hear that Clark and Lois are together and still going strong as a coupe. I really hope we can see Lois, and Perry too, on the show soon :D.

Poor Miss Tessmacher :sweat:.

I wonder how long before Mon-El starts getting effected by the lead content on Earth? I have to imagine his showing up on the show is, at least in part, meant to tie back to the Legion of Superheroes :proud:.

I get the point behind the name change, branding and all that, but L-Corp just doesn't feel as catchy or dynamic as LexCorp or LuthorCorp :shrug:.

Lena is certainly being setup as a very intriguing character this season, one who I imagine will have a very interesting relationship with Kara. She's an adopted Luthor, one who looked up to her brother before he became a Supervillain obsessed with killing Superman, and is seemingly truly genuine about reforming the Luthor name in the eyes of the people and doing good for the world. Though we also have hints that she's as willing to get her hands dirty just like her brother :ack:.

I wonder how long a prison can hold Lex Luthor in this universe? I guess long enough for the showrunners to decide whether to bring him in and who should play him :rolleyes2:.

Corben having a British accent reminded me of Malcom McDowell's take from Superman: The Animated Series. Can't wait to see him as Metallo :cool:.

I wonder if Lex is secretly working with Cadmus while he's behind bars, and helped them get access to Corben? It would make sense given their both distinctly anti-alien, and definitely anti-Super family :eek:.

I get the conflict between Clark and J'onn, but I hope they can resolve things and resume a closer friendship again in a later episode. At least it was apparent that there was nothing really personal in the tension.

Kara, even I could've told you that you and Jimmy worked better as friends, but given how the courtship between you took practically a whole season and was a pretty sizable, it's a little odd seeing it end so casually and with little fanfare. The least they could do is really try and give it a shot before calling it quits :rolleyes:.

Not that I don't get where they're going with Kara deciding to become a reporter, but I feel like they could have come up with something more original or different to do for her rather then just giving her the same job as Clark. I guess Jimmy's going to be her personal photographer o_O?

Winn working at the DEO is definitely a far more sensible job given his skill set then CatCo ever was. Also offers far more opportunities for him to geek out as well :p.

Looks like something is up with Cat, which will probably be what sets her onto semi-reccuring status on the show.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

You are officially the luckiest person on Earth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. hobbyfan

Tyler Hoechlin as Superman falls somewhere between Christopher Reeve & Dean Cain, and he certainly looks like the latter did 20+ years ago, especially with the specs. Seeing as how I've never invested in Teen Wolf, I'm impressed.

Winn joins the DEO. With Kara & James having split already, the field is open. Or is it?

Corben/Metallo winds up at Cadmus. What a shock. I guess Cadmus will be the "big bad" this season, but then I think we already knew that.

The issues between Supes and J'onn sounds like they're using a plotline that would've fit better with Batman in the books, since Batman had some green K he held in reserve as well.

The debut of Ms. Tessmacher does sound like a homage to the Donner movies, and that first film turns 40 in 2018.

I read a headline on Yahoo claiming that this isn't part of the Arrowverse. Please. It's inevitable.

6. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well I don't know about that, but it would be cool if I ran into Supergirl herself. i actually walked right past Emily Bett Rickards back in August but I didn't want to bother her, she was going to or from the gym and walking her tiny dog lol.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I'd like to know why everything before the first commercial break of season 2 episode 1, it get's everything right while two 2+ hour long films don't.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Tyler Hoechlin nailed it as Clark Kent and Superman.
    Superman and Supergirl looked awesome together: Flying, Saving the space plane, and just walking around the new DEO HQ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Supergirl down! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "The Last Children of Krypton"
    Monday, October 17, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    CADMUS attacks National City with a kryptonite powered villain who ends up seriously hurting Supergirl.

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So now we have an actual image of Superman and an new job for Kara to mention in the intro. Neat :).

It sounds like Cadmus actually has done something to Jeremiah in the time they've had him, possibly even brainwashed him to their side. That's probably going to cause a lot of drama once the Danvers sisters find out what happened to their father :eek:.

Seeing Clark and Kara teaming-up for some family bonding Superhero action was really fun to watch, and it's sweet to see how close these two still are despite the complicated circumstances surrounding them :anime:.

J'onn bringing up the DEO needing Kryptonite to deal with Non and Astra's army towards Clark felt especially poignant given how little Superman apparently did to stop them in season 1 o_O.

That homage to Supergirl's death in Crisis on Infinite Earth's was pretty cool :cool:.

So Snapper Carr goes from Justice League sidekick to to Kara's Perry White. Eh...he's certainly not the scene stealer Cat was, especially with how dour he is, and he's a little more subdued then you'd expect from this show, but maybe he'll grow on me. Though now I'm really curious to see firsthand what Perry in this universe is like by comparison, outside of phone calls with Clark and allusions from Cat :rolleyes2:.

Well, it seems Cadmus is going to be a far more public then I expected...though weren't they supposed to be a clandestine government group? Yet here they're practically full-blown terrorists :shrug:.

It's nice to know Lois gets top-billing when it comes to Clark's reasons for going back to Metropolis ;).

I'm glad we got see Kelex again at the Fortress. I was worried he'd just be conspicuously absent because of budget issues :sweat:.

It would've been nice to see Superman and Supergirl find ways to stop the Metallo's on their own, but seeing Supes team-up with Martian Manhunter and Kara team-up with Alex (which almost always happens on the show) was pretty awesome :D.

Is Jimmy really qualified to run a billion dollar company in Cat's absence? I mean, it's one thing to go from photography to head of the art department and then back to photography, but is he cut out for management? Not even Kara seemed to take him seriously as the "boss." But I guess it saves him from being relegated to Kara's photographer like he was to Clark and Lois back in the day.

It was kind of weird seeing Alex hug Clark after she let loose on Kara about Alex feeling like Clark abandoned Kara with the Danvers'. I feel like we needed to have these two talk that out to resolve any resentment on Alex's side, or Kara, Alex, and Clark together at least :ack:.

I really have to wonder what Superman is going to do with all that Kryptonite :confused:.

So I wonder what Cat is going to do from here on? Take care of her son at home? Read a good book? Insult Lois Lane? It's going to be tough having the show without her, but this was a pretty heartfelt sendoff between her scenes with Kara and Supergirl. Hopefully she's able to come back sooner rather then later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hobbyfan

Lucas "Snapper" Carr. Older, not exactly wiser, and definitely not what I had in mind when they wanted a Perry White type to be Kara's new boss. This is coming off more like Lou Grant-Mary Richards than Perry-Clark/Lois/Jimmy. First misfire of the new season, and we're just 2 weeks in.

Callista Flockhart has been dropped to a recurring player status due to the show now filming in Canada. She'll be back, but it's just a question of when. Superman will return, too, probably by the February sweeps, I would guess.

12. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Since they used Metallo, does this mean that the Superman rogues gallery of villains that he can physically fight are going to be seen on TV, and therefore won't be used on film?

Just with these 2 episodes, it looks to me like literally every complaint for Superman Returns and Man Of Steel/Dawn Of Justice were (legitimately) addressed, fixed, and gave everyone what they've (finally) wanted. Why do the TV people know what they're doing but the film people clearly don't?

13. hobbyfan

Not just Metallo. There are more second-or-third tier characters that can be used. Maxima should've gotten more screen time than she did last spring, but ended up with what amounted to a cup of coffee and a box of Rice-a-Roni for her troubles.;)

14. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Thought Maxima was supposed to show up again this season. Maybe she'll do more this time around :p

Also I noticed BC Place in this episode, it's hard to miss, it's that ugly ass stadium we have here that was in the background when they fought Corben on the viaducts :D

Edit: Other landmarks, I see during the Supergirl/ Metallo fight at the end, the Revolving Restaurant is seen, funny enough...I think where they are fighting is like a stone's throw away from the really bad part of town since I see the harbour that's near the railway. Can't be totally sure, I think that's near False Creek since I can see what I think is the Granville Street Bridge.

• Like Like x 1
    #14 Wonderwall, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  15. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. hobbyfan

Oh, so you're from Vancouver? I'd never have known.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Born and raised unfortunately ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Lynda Carter guest stars! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

[​IMG]
    "Welcome to Earth"
    Monday, October 24, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
    An attack is made on the President as hot-button, alien vs. human rights issues heat up in National City.

19. hobbyfan

That didn't take long.

Snapper gets put in his place. The reimagining of Snapper still isn't working for me. He is, as I alluded to last week, a Lou Grant wanna-be, but for now is a 1-dimensional character.

Lynda Carter as the President. Y'think maybe Team Berlanti has a wish for who will really be in the White House this time next year?

Maggie Sawyer debuts as a brunette instead of a blonde. Yes, she's gay, as was established in the books several years ago. I am interested in seeing where they'll go with her going forward.

Mon-El. Seems to me that the theme of the show was not judging a book by its cover. We found that out with Kara and Mon-El, as well as Alex & Maggie. An alien bar that has Dolly Parton on the jukebox? Totally boss. Now if they also play Loretta Lynn.....!

Miss Martian also debuts, much older than in the animated Young Justice, but not too much. Maybe this will make J'onn rethink his positions......!

I can't seem to get a make on our alien firebug. Anyone here got any ideas?

Next week: Roulette. As memory serves, she fought the JSA and the Titans in the books, and that fight club was her gimmick as recently as Batman: The Brave & the Bold. I had hinted that maybe the Legends could find themselves meeting the Wonder Twins, but I'd now think Zan & Jayna might be more comfortable meeting Supergirl.......

20. TFormersMarvel

TFormersMarvel Active Member

My instincts tell me they've taken another Canon Immigrant from Superman: TAS (like Livewire), this time Volcana. She's not originally alien in origin, but the Berlanti crew are no strange to making altered origins.

Due to time restraints, I'm going to quickly say that I've enjoyed this season so far (especially the Superman two-parter), even if today's episode was ver on the nose in regards to its messages as it will most likely going to get "certain outlets" ticked off). Lena and Maggie are intriguing so far in their positions, while Snapper has really become a "Scrappy-Doo" version of Grant. However, Kara was slightly out of character with her brief xenophobia centering around Mon-El.

Anyway, a preview of next week's "Survivors":

Quick Personal Fun Fact (A repost from my old draft for the Superman two-parter):
    If anyone is familiar with Michelle Obama's New York College Signing Day Event 2016 from a couple of months ago (it was hosted by MTV/Viacom, yes I know...), it has a couple of special guests that I was able to spot from the front role. I got to meet, get signatures and handshakes from the guest of honor (of course), but also surprise appearances of Robert DeNiro, Melissa McCarthy, and the Maid of Steel herself:

#20 TFormersMarvel, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016