1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Supergirl" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 26, 2015.

?

"Supergirl" - Discuss and rate this all-new DC Comics television series!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

25.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

25.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Better Angels" Season Finale April 18, 2016

Season Finale! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on CBS.

[​IMG]
    "Better Angels" - Season Finale
    Monday, April 18, 2016 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on CBS
    Supergirl is forced to do battle with an unexpected foe and must risk everything – including her life – to prevent Non and Indigo from destroying every person on the planet.

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Ok, they broke the Myriad spell in under ten minutes----before the first commercial break. That made me think that they weren't going to do a cliffhanger finish. Then, there's the threat of Cronenberging everyone (if you've seen "Scanners", from the early 80's, you'll get the reference). Lame.

On the other hand, Sam Lane finally gets a clue---we think, which is more than can be said for what I've read of him in the books. The search for Jeremiah will fuel season 2, and CBS would be stupid not to green light it.

Another Harrison Ford reference, this time one of his non-genre movies, "Working Girl". Oh, like Cat & Kara are analogues for Sigourney Weaver & Melanie Griffith in that last scene?

Indigo is gone, finally breathing her last after J'onn broke her in half. I have a friend who will be SO disappointed.

Here's to hoping WB finally gets a clue and casts Superman for this series, since it would be better to differentiate the TV DCU from the DCCU.

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was actually a pretty good day for Supergirl, all things considered. She saves National City, she saves the world, she beat Non, J'onn and Alex are pardoned and rejoin the DEO, Lord actually seems to care about her a bit now, Clark is proud of her, she got a promotion, Cat finally pronounced her name correctly, and she got the guy to boot. Barry and Ollie wish they were as successful in the season 1 finale's of their show :D.

I think Melissa Benoist did a great job with that inspirational scene. She really put her heart into that, and even I was kinda feeling inspired by it. This girl was born to play Supergirl, and be the symbol and inspiration that S is supposed to stand for, and I hope she gets a lot more opportunity to continue doing so in the future :).

That's General Lane for you. Heartwarming father one scene, untrusting and unrelenting government official the next. At least he came around by the end, and when you get right down to it you can't deny he truly loves his daughter. Though Lucy mentioning Lois has reminded me how much I want to see the elder Lane, what she's like in this universe, and how she plays off the rest of the cast :cool:.

I think Kara unintentionally lobotomized Non, so he'll now have the grunting brute personality he traditionally has in the comics. The creators talked about doing their own take on the "Superman 2 mythology," so I assume this is their explaining how Non goes from the Zod-ish guy here to Superman 2 Non :eek:.

Indigo's love for Non ultimately proved her undoing, as she was distracted by Kara and Non's struggle long enough for J'onn to rip her apart. Though somehow I doubt that killed her :shrug:.

I wonder if they're ever going to cast someone to play Superman instead of showing us a CG version of him or just his boots. Probably not. But I can hope ;).

I am definitely curious to see what the DEO dynamic is going to be now. Will Lucy and J'onn both lead? Or will Martian Manhunter be a field agent like Supergirl? Is he going to go by J'onn J'onnz in public or start using John Jones? At least being back in the DEO will help Alex and J'onn with their investigation into Cadmus and their hunt for Jeremiah :proud:.

I wonder what Kara is going to do at CatCo now that she's basically given free reign to do whatever work she feels is right for her? Will she be an editor? An executive of some kind? How is she going to decorate her office? Is she going to dress less like a "working girl" secretary and more like a professional, powerful (yet kind and compassionate), businesswoman o_O?

Dear lord, who was in that pod? Krypto? Streaky the Supercat? Comet? Mon-El? Earth-2 Kara (Power Girl)? Some version of Superboy? Miss Martian :confused:?

Suffice it to say, I really, really hope this series makes it to season 2. I think it well-deserves deserves it at this point :proud:.

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For some reason I instantly thought maybe it's Matrix. Although that opens up a huge can of worms, but guess we'll have to wait and see if we get to know who it is.

Overall, an uneven first season for Supergirl. It's definitely got a lot of charm thanks to Melissa Benoist and Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant has been such a wonderful surprise and the best character not named Supergirl. It seems the show peaked with World's Finest and then just sputtered to the finish line. The action scenes, much like the other TV comic shows, needs work but I understand they only have so much time and money. I hope to see the show come back, it seemed like it was a decent lock to get a second season but the fact there still isn't word, seems like a cause for some concern.

And cast someone to be Superman already, the hoops they go through to not show him has reached silly levels.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The creators have talked about their plans for season 2, and being in the planning stages for it, so I think at this point it's a lock and we're just waiting on CBS to outright confirm it :sweat:.

6. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope so, I mean I'd be surprised if they cancelled it as its still doing decently enough. Just odd that it hasn't had an announcement yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jean74

Jean74 Ready for Autumn

Wonder why that CBS has not announced it yet. Since they have already announced 11 shows being renewed. Which did not come as a surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

At the start of the season I thought to myself "it's ok, but I don't think it will last a season." Mostly due to the subject matter, and if it's possible ratings would be good enough for CBS. The show grew on me since then. The show definitely succeeds in capturing the spirit of what I expect a Supergirl TV show should be. Now that this season is over, I want to get some kind of official confirmation whether or not there will be a second season. As of now, it feels like Constantine all over again when that season ended. I also think it's interesting that Supergirl beats Gotham in the ratings (both air same day and time). I think when deciding to renew, they should consider the fact that they are beating BATMAN (you know, the apparent greatest thing ever). Outdoing Batman is obviously a good thing when every other time it's seemingly impossible to do so.

In the last scene with the arrival of the ship I was thinking to myself "Krypto! Streaky!!!". Assuming this turns out to be the series finale, I would have rather it ended on that note instead of a cliffhanger.

• Like Like x 1
    #148 rggkjg1, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  9. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

For some reason I couldn't help but CHUCKLE seeing SUPERMAN laying on the slab in the DEA HQ while Supergirl is taking to Hank.

I thought the Supergirl-Martian Manhunt fight with Non and Indigo was good.
    The rest of story seem rather hokey to me.

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

11. hobbyfan

$3 million is also the licensing fee CBS has to pay WB for Supergirl. No wonder we have to wait two weeks 'til the upfronts before we get a final decision. Who's being a cheap jabroni @ CBS?

12. TFormersMarvel

TFormersMarvel Active Member

Here's an image of the budgets of most of the popular shows on network, internet streaming, and cable TV (as of 2015, with HBO's Game of Thrones and Sense 8 on Netflix skyrocketing the charts):
    [​IMG]

If the rumor about Supergirl's budget at 3 million is true, then it's pretty "fine" compared to the likes of The Flash (CW, split ownership between CBS and WB) and Gotham (FOX, with the licensing fee) with their pricer budgets (though their ratings thresholds, especially on The CW, maybe be lower than average). I don't think TV ratings tell the full story, as streaming for Supergirl has been pretty good too, according to: http://www.adweek.com/news/televisi...ist-streaming-these-10-tv-shows-winter-170655 .

But if budgeting truly is an issue, just reduce the episode count (less filler).

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. hobbyfan

I think that if Supergirl gets shifted over to CW from CBS, expect it to be a mid-season replacement series, since CW has already renewed all their shows. It'll also likely move to another night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rggkjg1

If the Flash's appearance in that one episode gave the show a significant boost (even for just one episode), wouldn't legitimately adding Superman as a regular minor character get people to tune in?

Let's say Supergirl is canceled. Could The Flash/Legends Of Tomorrow do something where both those universes "merge" which results in a rebooted/revamped Supergirl (keeping all the cast/characters, but their life situations altered and no memory of season 1 - similar to pre and post crisis DC).

15. hobbyfan

Even for their writers, that's a little too much to digest. I wonder if Berlanti got these scribblers from Vince McMahon's scrap heap......;)

16. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

Some of the DC shows on CW have too many episodes to fill up an entire 20+ episode season. With the case with Arrow, I wonder if a condensed season (13 episodes) would be better for the series because the quality of has dipped dramatically after season 2.

17. rggkjg1

I'm sure they don't want to turn the CW into "the DC Comics network", but having a network where the majority of it's programming is DC comics (with the possible addition of Supergirl), is this one (if not the ONLY) area WB can trump Marvel?

18. hobbyfan

Let's not forget that CW would actually be the "comic book network" if they also pick up Riverdale, still another Greg Berlanti entry.

That aside, I can see CW picking up Supergirl if CBS passes on a 2nd season, and, as I suggested before, it would be a mid-season entry, allowing Berlanti to tinker with the show such that it would be more integrated into the "Arrowverse". Personally, I'm looking at Supergirl & iZombie sharing the Tuesday 9 pm (ET) slot behind The Flash if that happens.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  20. hobbyfan

Got the word on that earlier via CBR and Newsarama and elsewhere. With the upfronts next week, we'll get a better gauge on when season 2 will begin and what night. Still think it could be a mid-season entry, along with Riverdale.