1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Supergirl" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 26, 2015.

?

"Supergirl" - Discuss and rate this all-new DC Comics television series!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

25.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

25.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Supergirl joins the DC Comics TV universe tonight at 8:30 p.m. ET on CBS. Next week, the show will settle into its normal timeslot at 8 p.m. ET on Mondays.

'Like' Supergirl on Facebook
    'Follow' Supergirl on Twitter

[​IMG]

SUPERGIRL is an action-adventure drama based on the DC Comics character Kara Zor-El, Superman’s (Kal-El) cousin who, after 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Twelve-year-old Kara escaped the doomed planet Krypton with her parents’ help at the same time as the infant Kal-El. Protected and raised on Earth by her foster family, the Danvers, Kara grew up in the shadow of her foster sister, Alex, and learned to conceal the phenomenal powers she shares with her famous cousin in order to keep her identity a secret. Years later at 24, Kara lives in National City assisting media mogul and fierce taskmaster Cat Grant. She works alongside her friend and IT technician Winn Schott and famous photographer James Olsen, who Grant just hired away from the Daily Planet to serve as her new art director. However, Kara’s days of keeping her talents a secret are over when Hank Henshaw, head of a super-secret agency where her sister also works, enlists her to help them protect the citizens of National City from sinister threats. Though Kara will need to find a way to manage her newfound empowerment with her very human relationships, her heart soars as she takes to the skies as Supergirl to fight crime.

Tonight's episode...

"Pilot" - Series Premiere
    Monday, October 26, 2015 @ 8:30 p.m. ET/7:30 CT on CBS
    After 12 years of keeping her powers a secret on Earth, Kara Zor-El, Superman’s cousin, decides to finally embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

CBS.com - Supergirl

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Kara's origin is the 2004 reboot, not the original story from the Silver Age. Ok, fine. I've noted before that the reason James (Jimmy) Olsen is African-American is because they're merging Jimmy with Ron Troupe, the African-American reporter introduced in the Superbooks in the 80's.

Catherine Grant was a gossip columnist when she was introduced in the 80's. Berlanti's team has rebooted her as a Anna Wintour-meets-Rupert Murdoch media mogul. I think Kara's sister is a made-for-TV creation because she didn't have an adoptive sister in the books. Vartox as a villain here? He was never always a bad guy in the books, IIRC, and I believe a different itineration is appearing currently in the Harley Quinn/Power Girl miniseries. I'll be content watching Gotham On Demand going forward.

3. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Very disappointed this didn't live up to the hype. My base issue is that it's more or less The Flash (all its tropes) without the writing to keep it afloat. The cringe of having to see this awkward script unfold...Both CW superhero shows were also directed by the same guy and it's unfortunate he couldn't do this one as well since there was a clear distinction between the two, yet still good premieres.

Outside of flying most of the time, the special effects look good.
    I'll stick to Agent Carter and iZombie for my "shows centered about a female hero" fix, but a few more ep of this hopefully doesn't hurt or bore me to tears.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Why is Cat Grant, of all people, the only one on this show who pronounces Kara's name the same way it's been pronounced for years :confused:?

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a very CBS take on superheroes, meaning it's gonna stick to some very well-worn areas of storytelling and please mainly the elderly and the uneducated. This show is also the reason your mother is going to be watching a Superman movie five years from now and say "That can't be Jimmy Olsen, he's a six-foot black guy."

There's nothing else on Mondays, so I'll keep watching, but I know the likelihood of having my mind blown by some spectacular twist is very low. I like Cat Grant.

6. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

The 5 minute trailer that was shown several months ago was a cliff notes version of the pilot, so the events in this episode didn’t seem "new". The next few episodes will be a better indicator of the direction of the show.

Comparisons with the other super hero shows already in place is a given. I was a late follower of Arrow. I completely missed the first two seasons of Arrow when it aired did not follow it regularly until season 3. Similar with Flash, I only started following it in the middle of the first season. For both shows, I went back and caught the previous episodes. It wouldn't be "fair" of me to compare both shows to Supergirl's pilot because I caught Arrow and Flash at later stages of their respective shows.

I will say that the Supergirl (the show and the lead, Melissa Benoist) is nice to look at. She is a likeable character so that is important as the protagonist of the show.

Similar to the poster above, I don't have anything to watch on Mondays so I will catch the next few episodes.

On a different note, CBS ran an ad for The Flash during the Supergirl pilot. Similarly, CW ran an ad for Supergirl during last week's airing of Flash/Arrow. Cross station promotion - neat.

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Never have I seen a show be so obnoxious about women empowerment. I mean we've had strong leading women playing heroes before (animated and live-action) and they were beloved by viewers without needing to hammer in that "Finally, a hero my little girl can look up to!"

The show was also riddled with corny clichés and writing, and extremely exposition heavy. But I too should wait to see a couple of more episodes to form a better opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Supergirl's debut episode pulled in 12.9 million viewers, according to Neilsen, making it the top-rated new drama of the season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

So did they fix anything from the leaked pilot months ago or was it still as shakey and so-so as it was back then?

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Define "shakey and so-so."

11. Mostezli

I didn't notice any technical issues with that leak, @MDawg. This is the exact same "so-so" ep.

12. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Weak script, didn't feel like a production from a team who have two other series that are tightly run and don't feel weak.

13. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Stronger Together" November 2, 2015

Supergirl moves to her regular time, right now at 8 p.m. ET on CBS.

[​IMG]
    "Stronger Together"
    Monday, November 2, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on CBS
    When Kara’s attempts to help National City don’t go according to plan, she must put aside the doubts that she – and the city’s media – has about her abilities in order to capture an escapee from the Kryptonian prison, Fort Rozz. Also, Cat pressures James to use his connection to Superman to get her an interview with Supergirl.

14. hobbyfan

A little about Hellgrammite, one of this week's villains. First appeared in Brave & the Bold (1st series), opposing Batman & the Creeper, all the way back in 1968. 1st appearance drawn by no less than Neal Adams. The producers didn't bother giving this version an insectoid appearance, which might confuse folks who've seen him battle Superman in recent years.

I wrote last week about Cat Grant's comics past, and it gets referenced oh so slightly here when she talks about having been a gossip reporter.

Based on the teaser for next week, it seems as though Cat's interview with Supergirl didn't go so well........

15. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I think the show catches the spirit of what a Supergirl show should be, but I'm not blown away here.

After seeing this episode, my main question is this: How is that Supergirl keeps the collateral damage to a minimum when she fights her aunt, yet Superman in Man Of Steel disregards collateral damage as he battles the Zod gang? Since both share the same exact lack of experience at those points in their lives.

16. Mostezli

The obvious being different interpretations of different characters with similar power sets and back stories.
    Supergirl also exists in a universe where Superman has been well established, so there's that additional learned code of conduct to go with the fabricated upbringing (no telling how often Clark dropped by to check on his cousin).
    I haven't seen this episode, so I can't really speak for the aunt compared to Zod. If she's any bit as ruthless or has this twisted savior of the race complex as MoS's Zod, I'll maybe catch up.

17. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

I missed episode two and it is only available on cbs website via "all access." Will it become a "free to watch" after a certain time frame?

18. hobbyfan

If your cable company has On Demand, it should be there. On Time Warner Cable, for example, it'll be under Primetime On Demand, via CBS.

19. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"Fight Or Flight" November 9, 2015

Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on CBS.

[​IMG]
    "Fight Or Flight"
    Monday, November 9, 2015 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on CBS
    Cat plans to run an exposé on Supergirl,

20. hobbyfan

Max Lord comes off on this show, to me, anyway, as a poor man's Luthor. Seems there's a history between him and Cat, which again suggests that they're borrowing heavily from Superman's comics history. Reactron is a product of the pre-Crisis 80's, and IIRC, hasn't been used in the "New 52" era yet, though I could be wrong.

If you've ever imagined "Dumb" Donald Trump as a media mogul, well, the closest analogue might be Cat. Unrepentant and defiant about her ethical hypocrisy in re.: her "expose" on Supergirl. The writing really needs to step up a few more notches, though, as this is getting tiresome already.