1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Supergirl (2015 TV series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by gmster, Sep 4, 2014.

1. gmster

gmster Active Member

[​IMG]

Supergirl TV Series: New Show From Greg Berlanti & Ali Adler | Deadline

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well considering this is being brought to us by the same people behind actual shows and actually about to be shows, there's more validity to this then say that rumor a couple of years back about the CW wanting a Raven series. And granted it has been 30 years since Helen Slater failure flop flick, the last time they really had Supergirl star in something herself outside of a comic. Still I don't know if bringing in Kara in her own series is a good idea. Granted I still don't think Gotham is a good idea but you can at least sort of sell it as "a batman series without Batman" which is unique enough and could make for potentially interesting crime drama. How exactly would a supergirl series work exactly? Especially since I assume this would be about a fairly young Kara so... what seperates this from Smaillville besides the fact the lead character's female? Which is granted a plus but... I would kind of want someone more deserving of starring in a series to get the chance to first. I also worry that if they're trying to push a very Zack Snyder direction in the films and that trickling down into this seires as well. I guess for fans of the character this is good as hey Arrow has been doing well and the Flash is getting good buzz but... this just seems like an oddball pick to me.

3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I don't know. I don't know because there's so many different options here. I thought I saw an article earlier that they weren't looking at the CW or having it part of that universe. If that's the case, maybe make this a direct Smallville spin off? Maybe make this show set in the cinematic DCU? I don't want to see a take on the character where she's learning everything for the first time. Have Supergirl already an established character with SOME experience. We have 10 years of Smallville if we want to see an unexperienced Kryptonian discovering their powers for the first time.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh... if this ends up being set in the Arrow-verse, we might finally have our own version of the Justice League Trinity. Green Arrow for Batman, Flash for Superman, and Supergirl for Wonder Woman. That is, if they end up being in continuity :sweat:.

I'm all for Kara getting more exposure, but I'm not sure about Supergirl series. It certainly runs the risk of being like Smallville, or inviting comparisons to that show, just with a female lead. Considering Kara's usually a teenager or generally young, I could definitely see them emphasizing or having a teen drama aspect in the show.

I think one way they could distinguish it from Smallville is by having Kara be actually active as Supergirl and not just learning to use her powers before donning her Superhero identity. More the last few seasons of Smallville than the first, I guess? Of course, she could still be getting used to her powers and not be an expert at superheroing, and that could work well if they go for the teen hero feel for the series :).

Though if she is a full-blown Superhero, I wonder if she'll have a secret identity? This is the Arrow-verse after all, so it would probably be pretty hard for her to have one without a mask and vocoder :p.

5. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

I don't watch Arrow. I need to catch up. Has Superman been referenced as part of that universe?

6. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Can they even afford a Supergirl series? If they try to keep her powers down to a "cheap" level there's a chance the show could draw even more comparisons to Buffy than Smallville did.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Aside from a restaurant that I think is ordinarily in Metropolis, no.

I'd at least hope she'd be able to fly :sweat:.

Though the budget for the Flash looks pretty impressive, even having only seen trailers for the pilot and not the full first season yet.

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if they'd try this without a previously established Superman in universe.

9. gmster

gmster Active Member

Berlanti confirms that development has started:

Berlanti Confirms "Supergirl" TV Series Reports - Comic Book Resources

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So I guess the chances of it being in continuity with Arrow and Flash are dependent on it airing on the CW?

11. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

12. honorableninja

so providing that gotham and constiane surive the upcoming season being the networks thier on are known for cancelled good shows if they dont pefrom all five major networks will be in the superhero game with dc running the majority and abc with marvel.

13. gmster

gmster Active Member

The pitch sounds very promising.

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So... Superman will already exist in this universe :sweat:?

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

That bites. It would be interesting if the situation was reversed for once.

16. gmster

gmster Active Member

Supergirl will be set in the Arrowverse.

SUPERGIRL May End Up Being Set In The Same World As ARROW And THE FLASH

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If this ends up being true, then the Arrow-verse finally has it's Wonder Woman equivalent for it's Trinity... and she's related to Superman :sweat:.

18. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

19. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I'm glad that the show is not in the Arrow/The Flash universe, I wouldn't mind if it was, but if Supergirl is in its own universe, that means there's more flexibility regarding the casting of Superman (in the inevitable episode). Bring back Brandon Routh or Dean Cain, or officially give Tom Welling a "promotion". Just because this show will have nothing to do with Superman Returns, Smallville, or Lois & Clark doesn't mean that's the reason to not bring someone back. As soon as this series premieres, people are going to be asking/thinking "Is this in the Arrow shared universe?" , "Is this the Smallville Supergirl?", "Is this in the Man Of Steel universe?" etc. The answer of course is going to be "No, this is it's own thing." And you can still have your own thing by having Brandon Routh, Tom Welling, and/or Dean Cain reprising the role of Superman.

20. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I just hope it's the genuine article and not a disguised drama with recognizable characters/a recognizable theme. Despite the whole "before he was Superman" thing, Smallville was really just a drama about an extraordinary person who tries to lead a "normal" life despite the fact that he's not "normal"; something that could easily be done as a slice-of-life series with original characters (and even then, my understanding is that they seriously considered the possibility of having this Clark Kent not become Superman...). I'm hoping this show doesn't turn out the same way. Just saying.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone