1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Smash Bros. BRAWL! Official Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Tanooki, Jan 31, 2008.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

For a theoretical new Brawl game, I propose a 50 character roster. It's a good and even number, and it would be an expansion consistent with what's come before. Melee's roster increased by 14, and Brawl's increased by 11.

All Brawl characters return. In addition, Zero Suit Samus is made a separate character. I realize the current setup makes Samus unique, but I can't help feeling that she's just Zelda's concept nerfed since transformations rely on smash balls. Short of this, I propose a compromise: after Samus uses a smash ball you can regain your power suit with a special move, but only after a set amount of time. This choice would be totally optional. Either way, Zero Suit Samus would need a new final smash. I propose a fusion of sorts between Zelda's light arrow and Marth's critical strike, where she stuns you with her gun and then charges at you, using some lightning quick ninja-esque moves to send you flying. This wouldn't be an assured kill, but it would be powerful.

For my purposes, I'll assume my first suggestion happens and that ZSS becomes playable on her own. With 14 slots left, here's who I propose:
    • Krystal (Star Fox). Fans apparently want her, so give her to em. Besides, it'd be nice to have a Star Fox character with a fundamentally different moveset from Fox and Falco.
    • A new Pokemon from whatever the newest generation is. Sorry for not being specific, I'm no expert on the franchise. Pokemon's a persistently popular franchise, so this is probably inevitable.
    • Mewtwo (Pokemon). I'm not particularly eager for Melee throwbacks, but he was apparently unique and fans missed him. If he doesn't return, at least make him an assist trophy. I mean, seriously.
    • Saki Amamiya (Sin and Punishment). Saki apparently could've been playable, but wasn't. I think Saki's one of the best possibilities for an ugprade.
    • Mega Man. If Capcom is willing, why not? He'd be like a fast version of Samus, complete with a charging weapon and a diverse arsenal. Sounds good to me. I'd prefer it if they find ways to pay homage to the character's entire history, without making it clear if this is supposed to be classic Mega Man or Mega Man X.
    • Iaasac (Golden Sun). Another intriguing possible upgrade from the assist trophy gallery.
    • Little Mac (Punch Out). Come on. Seriously. If any assist trophy gets upgraded, it should be this guy. They're even remaking Punch-Out for the Wii. He's from one of the most classic games on the NES. He's a natural fighter. What more reason do we need?
    • Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy). I know, Smash is full of Mario characters. But she's good one, she'd add another girl to the roster, and she's such an open book that designers could do whatever they want with her. Besides, how amusing would it be for Ganandorf to get his butt kicked by Lumas?
    • K. Rool (Donkey Kong). If Donkey Kong ever gets any more characters, it should be an antagonist and not another monkey. Hence this guy.
    • Micaiah (Fire Emblem). What can I say, she may be unlikely but I'd still like her to get her due. If some other Lord character from another game makes it instead, then so be it.
    • Bomberman. Eh, why not. Seems unlikely, but it'd be cool if they could bring in another retro character from some place. A fourth game would need a new Pit, so to speak.
    • Zant (Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess). True, he is but Ganandorf's Underling in Twilight Princess, but he's still a menace. There aren't that many evil overlords in the Nintendo roster, and I figure that asking for somebody like Ashnard or the Black Knight from Fire Emblem is just a pipe dream.
    • Black Shadow (F-Zero). Skimmed over F-Zero characters. Might as well put in a nemesis, and he seems more formidable than Samurai Goroh. Keep Goroh as an assist trophy.
    • And the final slot should go to something really random and fun that I could probably never think of. Sort of like what happened when R.O.B. got picked.
    • Dark Samus (Metroid Prime). A good idea if, and only if, ZSS is not made her own character. As the big nemesis in the recent trilogy, I think this makes a lot of sense. Yes, to an extent it'd be a mild clone, but we'll probably never be completely rid of that in Smash.
    I would also drastically expand the assist trophy list. Some brainstorming:
    • Blood Falcon (F-Zero)
    • Baby Bowser (Mario franchise)
    • Princess Elincia (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
    • Apostle Sanaki (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
    • Sothe (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
    • Garet (Golden Sun)
    • Ridley (Metroid)
    • Slippy Toad (Star Fox)
    • Dark Link (Legend of Zelda)
    • Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda)
    • Mewtwo (if not a playable character)
    • Army of randomized Miis
    • Captain Rainbow
    • Protoman or Zero (Mega Man/Mega Man X)
    • Knuckles the Echinda (Sonic the Hedgehog)
    • Tabuu (Smash Brawl: Subspace Emissary)

2. R-Taco

R-Taco Just A Little Bit Crazy

3. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Finally, another place to post my mediocre hopes and dreams of the top 5 characters that should be in SSB4! Info, movesets, pictures, all that jazz. They're fairly... well, they're massive, so, spoiler tag'd.

...but, for now, I am content. :sweat:

4. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Top 5 characters I think would rock in the next Smash:

5. Mewtwo

Obviously. Same moveset as before, just balance him so that he isn't total garbage this time.

4. Little Mac

Come on, there's no excuse for him to sit the next one out. And sure he only uses punches, but so does Balrog in Street Fighter. You could easily have his special moves based around his opponents moves from the game. His Side-B would be a dash like Ike or Fox's, His Up-B would be his super uppercut, and his down B could be a counter. But unlike other counters in the game, this one merely stuns your opponent to allow you a free hit. His final smash should abviously be a punch rush into a super knockout punch. He might be a bit plain of a fighter, but he still belongs in the game

3. Mike Jones

This will obviously never happen, but this is a wishlist so he makes it on here. Mike has a few techniques that would be simillar to Ness, so he'd have to be switched up a bit. His b-moves would be based on moves does in the games, and his A-moves would be based around the yo-yo. His final smash would either involve the sub. Again, he might be a bit close to Ness with what he has, but the lack of PSI powers would hopefully make him a more unique character.

2. King K. Rool

I was so disappointed that he didn't make Brawl. It's pretty obvious he would fit this game very well as I have not found a person yet he does not want him in the series. Also, we really need more villains as characters.

1. A new F-Zero/Metroid rep

I don't really care which one gets a new rep, but I think these series, above the others, deserve another character. I personally don't even care who, they just need more.

Also, a bonus list of the top 10 things I personally want in the next game that will probably never happen. These are things other than characters, though.

10. A new Earthbound stage
    9. More than 4 players
    8. Kirby/Ness/Luigi do not get nerfed
    7. FLUDD is made an item
    6. Individual stories are made for Subspace Emissary
    5. Mega Man is brought in as a 3rd party character
    4. Captain Rainbow somehow makes an appearance
    3. The Dragoon is removed from existence
    2. Stages return from Brawl, Melee, AND 64 Brawl
    1. Online is no longer broken

5. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

In all seriousness, 3rd party characters should be limited to 1 to 2 per company unless we are to go all-out and do something like this.

Smash Bros. vs Everyone

* = unlockable characters

30 starters / 20 unlockable

Mario
    Luigi *
    Peach
    Bowser
    Yoshi
    Wario
    Donkey Kong
    Fox
    Samus
    Kirby
    Meta Knight
    Pit
    R.O.B.
    Captain Falcon
    Ness
    Pikachu
    Pokemon Trainer * (this time female)
    Jigglypuff *
    Lucario
    Mr. Game & Watch
    Link
    Zelda
    Ganondorf *
    Isaac *
    Marth
    Ike
    Little Mac *
    Saki *

Sonic
    Knuckles *
    Vectorman *
    Billy Hatcher *

Pac-Man
    Llyod *
    Knightmare *

Mega Man
    Viewtiful Joe *
    Phoenix Wright *

Sora
    Geno *

Snake
    Simon Belmont *

Bomberman
    Rayman
    Travis Touchdown *
    Ryu Hayabusa *
    Bub and Bob *
    Laura Croft
    Crash Bandicoot
    Marina Lightyears *

Reasonably...

Sonic and Knuckles from SEGA, Snake from KONAMI, Mega Man and Viewtiful Joe from CAPCOM, Bomberman from HUDSON, Geno from SQUARE-ENIX, Pac-Man from NAMCO, Travis Touchdown from UBISOFT, Marina Lightyears from TREASURE.

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Travis Touchdown would be a great 3rd party character.

At the very least, an assist trophy would be cool.

7. Mikintosh

Mikintosh Active Member

If they're still doing 3rd parties and Nintendo will have made up with Capcom over Resident Evil 4 for the PS2, then I insist they include Phoenix Wright, who is will hit people with his lawyer's briefcase and destroy them with his Objection Final Smash. It'll be delightful.

8. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

It's times like this I wish Rare wasn't bought out by Microsoft. If only because Banjo and Kazooie would make for an awesome Smash Bros. character.

They're Final Smash could be the JINJONATOR.

9. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Well Rare could feasibly have guest characters in a PORTABLE Smash Bros. so Nintendo should get on that.

10. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

But Rare didn't use Banjo or Conker in DKRDS, Conker I can understand since he now has that "Mature" image, but Banjo I couldn't until I saw Nuts and Bolt, new art style might have had something to do with it.

11. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

DS Smash is the next obvious choice. I think that may be what we get next.

Super Smash Bros. Double Smash?

12. Charles Chimag

Charles Chimag I also find this amusing!

At the risk of repeating what other people have said, here's my proposed roster.

All Brawl Characters
    Mewtwo
    Little Mac
    Mii (select a Mii through alternate colors)
    King K. Rool
    Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario
    Dr. Eggman/Robotnik
    Waluigi
    Pac-Man
    Mega Man
    Bomberman
    Simon Belmont
    Balloon Fighter
    Samurai Goroh
    Ridley
    Krystal

Total: 50 characters

I also second a DS Smash Bros., as basically a remake of the original Smash Bros., but with trophies.

13. R-Taco

It has to be a word that means "fight", so what about SmackDown (it's reversed, but hey)?

14. Eddy

Getting trophies of the bosses in this game is the most annoying thing ever. So far I've gotten Petey Piranha and Rayquaza and that's it. I've been trying to get Porky next but to no avail. I've tried playing it on Intense using Mr. Game & Watch (since he has a Big Boss sticker which increases trophy drop counts) and one of the following happens: (a) a trophy stand appears while Porky still has far too much health to get him, (b) I kill Porky accidentally after waiting forever for a trophy stand to appear, or (c) he kills me after waiting forever for a trophy stand to appear since the slightest tap in SSE sends characters flying.

And it doesn't help that it takes three years for you to actually throw the damn thing. I really hate the whole trophy stand concept.

15. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Smackdown might be trademarked. How about Decisive Scuffle?

16. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I've gotten all except Taboo and the two Ridleys. Meta Ridley is hard as hell because you can only throw the stand when he's stationary, and that means the trophy falls through the gap. The fact that he's at the end of the longest stage ever doesn't help.

I almost regret getting the Porky trophy. The description is one HUGE spoiler for Mother 3.

17. Demonic Raven

Demonic Raven Active Member

Super Smash Bros Duel.

Duel....dual (screen)...that's the best I could come up with.

18. R-Taco

But doesn't "duel" imply one-on-one?

19. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Mr Sonic thought it was time those lousy plumbers learned some respect

[​IMG]

20. Eddy

I finally got the Porky trophy. Ugh. Now to get all the other bosses. :|