"Super NES Classic Edition" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Mandouga, Jun 26, 2017.

1. James Bester

James Bester Screaming for Vengeance

Thanks for the heads up! It really looks like it's all a guessing game at this point. Let's just hope we happen to all be refreshing that amazon page when they finally decide to open up pre-orders.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

3. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

And...it's gone.

(sigh...)

4. Action!

Action! Active Member

12 hours later. Out of stock.

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

So Walmart sent an email to everyone, me included, attributing the SNES Classic listing to a "technical glitch" and invalidating all orders that were made. No word at all on when (or if) preorders will open prior to the September 29 release date. So far as I know, no retailer has given such details.

Nothing to do except stay watchful....

6. Mandouga

I don't know. This "technical glitch" was too specific. However, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I'm ruling out the possibility of a publicity stunt. After all Nintendo would never do such things (at least these kinds of things). It wouldn't be like them to troll everyone like that, and Wal-Mart wouldn't go over Nintendo's head like that (if they knew what was good for them).

7. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

I work in retail. I won't name for who (cough cough). I fully believe the glitch story (if you only knew how badly things are run behind the scenes...). The only surprising bit is them actually canceling the pre-orders as usually they bend over backwards and beyond to appease customers, even when they're being scammed.

8. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

The way I see it, it was the best move for everyone to just cancel the whole lot and start over. Imagine how people would get towards each other if say Joe got to keep his pre-order but Jimmy didn't, when Jimmy was the one who told Joe about the pre-orders in the first place.

The whole thing could have been avoided in the first place if Nintendo didn't pull this low supply crap, but who knows what they're thinking. They could have made up all their Wii U losses if they just sold more NES classics, amiibos (especially the Zelda anniversary ones), and these SNES classics.

9. Mandouga

I don't like your choice of words, defunctzombie, but Nintendo isn't doing that on purpose. They've had to fight (for lack of a better word) with other companies to get the parts they need, and often those other companies win out. Even Nintendo can't avoid that. I don't like it either, but this is Nintendo we're talking about. They make it a point to make it so that there are enough of their products to go around, but unfortunately, these things happen sometimes. I really don't think they would do this on purpose. That's not the kind of company they are (yes, they've made mistakes in the past, but still).

That being said, the previous NES Classic was never meant to be a long-term product (as I said in other posts). I imagine that the Super NES classic may likely be no different (note how I said "may")...

10. Pacman7821

Pacman7821 Member

The SNES is one of my favorite console. But, seeing what happen with the miniNES, I have a feeling they won't have enough to go around. So, I'm not hyped for this, as its going to be a pain to get and I'm not paying scalpers's prices, or waiting in line for hours for a store to open that has them in stock. Congratulation Nintendo, I just don't care.

11. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Jim Sterling kind of said it best; Nintendo has the mentality of a toy company, not an electronics company.

Sony and Microsoft want to sell as many systems as possible to as many people as possible. Nintendo, OTOH, wants to create CRAZES that get reported on the evening news. The kind of crazes that cause parents to fight over limited supplies, like they did with Tickle Me Elmo, Beanie Babies and Furby.

They have no credibility when they say they misread the demand of a plug-and-play console that has the original Mario and Zelda on it.

#31 Leviathan, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Apparently some preordering came up today. By the time I'd heard about it, no good. You can try your local Gamestop or Target or whatever now, but good luck.

My Gamestop told me they were sold out, had no new information on when they'd take more orders, and would not wait list anyone. Fun.

Spotted a Toys R' Us tweet saying they wouldn't do preorders for SNES Classic. You just walk in on 9/29 and trust your luck.

Nintendo's official page continues to list no list of retailers, preorder links, etc. This thing is out in 5 weeks.

13. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I tried today when I heard about it but I was too late to take advantage of any of them. I missed the Best Buy pre-order by just a couple minutes. I know they said they are upping the production for the SNES compared to the NES but I'm still worried I won't get one. I really want this as so many of my favorite games are on there.

14. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I was actually fortunate to catch Best Buy's listing for it when preorders went up for it around 1am, and I pounced, and hoped it wouldn't turn out to be like that Wal-Mart fiasco when preorders went up on their site, and then the preorders people put in were then canceled. I made it so they'd ship it to my residence. So hopefully they'll have enough for those who did preorder.

Despite my success of preordering from Best Buy's site, I still checked Wal-Mart's site and Amazon's site to see if they might have also started taking preorders. Someone at my job wants one too, and I thought of ordering two from Best Buy, but then I wondered if my order would get canceled for that later on. So at work, I told the person at my job to be on the lookout for preorders on retail sites. Then I got this text from GameStop around 1pm saying that you can preorder from them. That's when I went on my lunch break and went home to try to preorder at their site, since it's about a 10 minute drive from my building to my job. I did a search on their site, and no listing came up. All that would come up was the same page where you submit your name and e-mail address so you can get updates, and there was no place there to click so you can preorder. Fortunately, there's a GameStop close enough to my building for me to walk to. When I got there, I might have been the sixth person to get on the line to preorder the SNES Classic. They started taking our information down for preorders in moments. They also said that they'd only be taking about ten preorders. So I should be good.

Since I live in New York, my other option would have been to go down to the Nintendo NY store in Manhattan very early, on the day of its release, and I'd have probably gotten one. I'm actually still prepared to do that if one of the orders I placed doesn't go through. Somehow, I think GameStop is more likely to make good on my preorder. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both.

I actually arrived back at work from my break 30 minutes late. I texted my supervisor to tell her that I have an emergency, to which she replied "No problem, take your time". I read it to the guys standing next to me, and they told me I have a cool supervisor.

I knew the preorders were supposed to go live later this month, but I didn't think they'd start as early as they did. I lucked out since I'll be going out of town this Saturday, and I don't know how the wi-fi is at the hotel where I'll be staying.

To everyone else who may want one of these, I wish you luck. I may have gotten two preorders in, but I won't be surprised if either Best Buy or GameStop pulls some Lucy Van Pelt football nonsense on me.

15. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

I informed my mother about the pre-orders while at work, and she was able to get one at Gamestop (with us trying to find at least four systems for me, my brothers, and a friend of my mother's).

16. Storm Eagle

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Toys R' Us stock intel:

19. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Thanks for the intel. My mother and I need to pick a few of the these systems for my family.

20. Storm Eagle

I just saw a notification from Best Buy that they shipped out my SNES Classic. Now I wait until Friday to see if GameStop makes good on my preorder with them.