1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Bowl Past-Blast

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by twilicorn, Feb 6, 2016.

1. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

Just wondering since it's Super Bowl Weekend, will you be posting a new Super Bowl Past-Blast article?

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Working on it. It'll be late like everything else I do. At least I'm consistent.

3. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Whoop -- you thought it couldn't happen but it DID happen! I was surprised too.

http://www.platypuscomix.net/darkvault/superbowl19.html

You know why there's a "10 1/2" in the lineup? Because I skipped over a video somehow and didn't realize it until they were all up. I had to spend the first quarter (and some of the second) cutting out that video in between commercials. Not happy about it.

4. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Scattered thoughts regarding the commercials:
    • Kind of surreal to see all those ABC promos not long after my brother and I discussed how sharing a parent company with ESPN appears to have prevented ABC from ever showing the Super Bowl again.
    • It didn't take me long to think of one reason for a guy like him to dump a mermaid, but I guess it still doesn't make a good reason to dump her for a Filet O'Fish.
    • Modern viewers mistaking Charlie Chaplin for Hitler sounds sadly plausible after reading YouTube commenters interpret Snickers' Seven Year Itch parody as a metaphor for transsexualism.
    • I still remember that before we owned a microwave with a turntable, Hot Pockets boxes would remind you to turn the Hot Pockets yourself halfway through.
    • Your description of Halftime shows in the '80s made me feel even more disappointed that Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man didn't hold their wedding at the Super Bowl.
    • The creepy Macintosh Office commercial left me feeling unsurprised that my MacBook Pro doesn't have Macintosh Office - though I have trouble endorsing Apple Pages until at least when I figure out how to make it automatically display the number of lines on each page.
    • Did the Super Bowl usually have no movie ads during the '80s, or just that year?

#4 Dsneybuf, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Movie ads didn't become a thing until the 90's. But I could be wrong since I haven't seen all the 80's Bowls yet.

6. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

also, celebrity ads for the bowl were there as early as 1973. Remember the Farrah Fawcett Noxema commercial?

also, I swear I have that mcdonalds mermaid ad on a dvd. Possibly on a macys parade. Dont remember that ending though

#6 twilicorn, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  7. Alex Sarosi

Alex Sarosi Member

The Tandy 1000 was a pretty good computer, with 16 color graphics and 3 channel sound (At a time when 4 color CGA graphics and a 1 channel PC speaker were standard in PCs) and PC compatibility at a good price (At a time when the PC Jr. had bombed hard due to not being completely compatible with the PC and being pricy) See this video for more details

#7 Alex Sarosi, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016