Sunrise's "Valvrave the Liberator" Talkback

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by River26, Dec 13, 2012.

1. River26

River26 Active Member

Sunrise's next anime is not Gundam, but nonetheless is still of the mech genre. Via ANN

Trailer
    [video=youtube_share;z3vzEK4gcT0]http://youtu.be/z3vzEK4gcT0[/video]

Site (Valvrave the Liberator)
    TV???????????????????

Source
    Sunrise Makes Mecha Anime Valvrave the Liberator - News - Anime News Network

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Soooooo pretty. Hopefully they've got a story to match the design work.

Some people are already in regret mode over CG animation being used for the mecha, but I think it's kind of time to get over that as it seems to me we hit a turning point with Macross Frontier and seen it improve more and more to the point where it's an alternative method about on par with excellent 2D at its best. It's been blending in better and better, it's been used to enhance 2D, and we're well past the time where all CG models are garish and stick out in a bad way. Gundam UC, the Gundam 00 movie, what I've seen of the Macross F films & Code Geass Akito, Yamato 2199 & probably others are all examples that have me looking forward to tomorrow rather than worrying about changes to tradition.

3. River26

River26 Active Member

Here's a follow up to the commercial trailer.

Via ANN
    Trailer
    [video=youtube_share;vGZokL-tAbM]http://youtu.be/vGZokL-tAbM[/video]

source
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...on-the-verdurous-planet-teaser-promo-streamed

4. Mr. Anime

Mr. Anime Active Member

Here's hoping Valvrave becomes the next big non-Gundam mecha series success for Sunrise in the vein of Code Geass.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Mmmm. Sunrise knows how to design a mech, thats for sure. I hope someone simulcasts it.

With Bandai gone, I wonder who'll license this.

6. River26

River26 Active Member

It could be FUNimation. Speaking of Valvrave, got a new CM up.

Via ANN

synopsis
    "
    "

Trailer
    [video=youtube_share;QlJGzbAobgA]http://youtu.be/QlJGzbAobgA[/video]

7. River26

River26 Active Member

8. River26

River26 Active Member

Update
    Voice Cast Announced

Via ANN
    source
    New Valvrave the Liberator Ad Previews Voice Cast - News - Anime News Network

9. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

Doesn't exactly sound like the most original plot in the universe but those trailers are pretty awesome looking.

10. River26

River26 Active Member

Update on the anime
    - Cast members and their role
    - Theme Song artists

Via ANN
    source
    Sunrise's Valvrave Mecha Anime's Promo 1.5, Singers, More Cast Revealed - News - Anime News Network

11. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 New Member

Nice mech. Hope it comes in English someday.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using toonzone. And I'm a loner at heart.

12. River26

River26 Active Member

This anime will air on Crunchyroll

Via ANN
    source
    Crunchyroll to Stream Valvrave the Liberator TV Anime Series - News - Anime News Network

13. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

CR's first full-length non-sequel of the season, one of the few spring shows I'm really looking forward to, and a proper simulcast. Good start.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

An overview of the plot & lead characters was recently posted here. So, let's see...Haruto's the conflict-hating student who ends up piloting the mecha anyway. L-elf is basically a do-what-it-takes elite soldier. Shoko is the hero's nice childhood friend and probably his anchor to the life he knew. Saki is...a student at Haruto's school who is aloof and basically can't relate to others, notwithstanding that she's an idol singer. Presumably this is why that career is on hold. What I don't see is what she'd possibly have to do with the other three or the plot. Could be as simple as "second love interest", I suppose......a plausible guess, but relatively boring. Keh.

Seems to me the unknown factor here is how much of this show is about the conflict, mecha action, etc and how much of it spends time on high school life / youthful drama. I'm biased to hope for more of the former, if only because the latter can so easily get cliche...or risk taking a narrative too far off course, as happened with Sunrise anime Code Geass at times. Ichirou Ohkouchi did series composition for that before this, incidentally (and the well-regarded PlanetES too, FWIW).

15. River26

River26 Active Member

Yeah, this' one of my first spring animes. Attched with my live-action shows; NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles.

Though, on the videogame route. This'll probably be attached to a future Super Robot Taisen SRPG game and that we don't get the game, but rather becomes a Japan-only.

16. River26

River26 Active Member

3rd PV of Valvrave

[video=youtube_share;gG0rWMVpDwc]http://youtu.be/gG0rWMVpDwc[/video]

17. River26

River26 Active Member

Seems we'll be getting a second season.

By:ANN
    Valvrave the Liberator's 2nd Season to Start in October - News - Anime News Network

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

[​IMG]

The first episode of Valvrave the Liberator is now available for Crunchyroll subscribers and will become free to view starting April 19th. The show is available in the U.S., Canada, the UK and Ireland. The site's series description is below:

Comments?

19. River26

River26 Active Member

Gonna watch it now. But from seeing the promos, this seems to be living up to Gundam.

20. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Episode 1

A pretty good first episode, but nothing too special just yet. Lots of similarities to Gundam and Code Geass, although it's hardly fair to expect there to be too few of them, especially as the story is just being established. I'm hoping it finds its own path or at least a fresh and interesting way to present its story to us, because I still think there's plenty of potential to be had here.

Can't complain about the animation, though. Very strong in that regard, at the very least. And I'm pretty confident that they'll manage to keep that up, being a big new Sunrise property with Aniplex producing and a split-cour format.

Shoko's "death" was far too sudden for there to not be more to it than we, or at least Haruto and company, may have thought. It will be interesting to see how Haruto's new power may have affected his personality, and just how tough, possibly nearly immortal, it made him.

Nishikawa and Mizuki together is quite the treat. I always like the idea of collaborative efforts like this. I'm not as a huge fan of the song as I hoped I could be right off the bat, but I'm sure it won't be long before I've gotten really into it.