1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid/Weird School Rules

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Rho, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Having gone to fairly strict Catholic schools, there were all kinds of repression going on. My brother's Prom was nearly canceled because of some suggestive dancing at another event, and even at my college, there were curfews at the dorm rooms. It was ridiculous, and it's one of the reasons that I'm now so confused: I have almost no life experiences, even mistakes, and I'm woefully lacking any kind of real-world smarts.

Just asinine. My female friends and I almost always greeted each other like that, then and now. There's nothing sexual about it. It's just a "hello." Heck, a couple of my guy friends do.
    That's just inane. I used to carry everything around with me at all times. I just threw up my hands and said "to hell with it." People may have laughed at me, but it was easier than the alternative, but even then I sometimes had to book through the halls to get there on time. I took everything home too. It was annoying, but at least then I knew that I had everything. Made that mistake once, and it was enough.

2. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I got out of high school over 12 years ago. Good lord, I'm glad I got out when I did. I feel sorry for a lot of you guys.

3. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

Some more middle school stuff:

-What you did or said to other students on sites like Myspace or on IM services had to follow school rules, apparently. Apparently, the principal would freakin' look up the Myspace profiles of students. That rule just makes no sense at all.

-Apparently a guy asking a girl out was sexual harassment. A teacher said it at the start of the year when the Student Handbook was being talked about.

-The Principal and yard monitors would always get iffy if guys and girls were hanging out together. Never anything to my knowledge of separation, but seriously, get with the time.

4. Jacob

Jacob Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You can make your profiles on social networking sites private, you know.

5. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If the information is public, your school principal has every right to look at it. Just because it's posted in a place (in this case, MySpace) that doesn't belong to the school doesn't mean it can't be used against you.

And they enforce these rules to prevent cyber bullying and possible harassment. Believe it or not, this is more of an issue than you think. A couple of years ago, I went with my Mother to a meeting at my brother's school where teachers discussed about this. They read some excerpts of what kids posted in their MySpace profiles (all of which are PUBLIC) and I honestly couldn't believe some of the words used, and we're talking about 12-15 year olds here. They're not forcing you what you should put in your MySpace/Facebook/Twitter/whatever profile, but they're kind of warning you that if you violate school rules through online means, you CAN get punished for it.

And I've said this before a million times: if you badmouth your teacher, your principal, or your school as a whole publicly on the Internet while using your real name, you deserve whatever punishment comes to you for being so dumb.

6. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

My middle school enforced this in the wake of Columbine. Mass-hysteria at its finest...

7. Kouji Tamino

Kouji Tamino You Understand Nothing

This. Even as an adult, this kind of thing can get you in trouble. People have lost their jobs for badmouthing their employers on social networking sites.

8. Plague Rat

Plague Rat Disease-ridden rodent

I'm used to that rule. Nobody follows it though, but the idea is to not use cell phones until the end of the day. But I'm not like attached to my phone so it doesn't bother me. Hell I hardly even use it.

... You do know that a lot of teachers and staff make fake profiles and add you? This is normally a college thing though, as it's used to determine if someone who's applying to their college is really a good candidate like i.e. if their status says things like "GETTING DRUNK AND HIGH TONIGHT LOLOL", that's obviously not who they want to accept.

But cyber bullying is pretty bad. My sister suffered it severely in middle school, getting death threats from AIM from one of her classmates. Luckily, my mom was clever enough to print out the chats and report them to the authorities. As far as I know, that person is in a juvenile correction facility.

9. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Let me guess. Hate crimes?

10. IgnoreMe

IgnoreMe New Member

In Junior High,the cafeteria had two doors. For some stupid reason, whenever you walked in trough the 'Wrong door', you got a detention.
    That's not even the worst of it. In elementary, our principal made a no smiling rule, because apparently, it was a form of communication.
    Later in the year too, the principal denied ever making the rule in the first place. He was fired.

11. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I remembered in Elementary school there was a rule of not exceeding a certain amount of noise level during lunch or no one would be able to talk at all. It was just unpleasant to see those days and be quiet.