1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid/Weird School Rules

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Rho, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They banned Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! cards in my elementary and middle school for that reason too. They wanted to prevent the cards from being stolen, as well as arguments that would result from these cards.

2. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

ONE teacher last year at my school did that - Because he was paranoid kids would find out test questions, find out the answers, and make an audio recording of them on their iPod, then sneak their iPod by wearing their hood.
    And this is a bit irrelevant, but I still recall how he spelled it out in the rule listings:

"i allow students to where hats but not hoods"

...Before you ask, no, he was not a great teacher.

That.. that just can't be legal.

The reason at my school was that they'd apparently start fights. :/

Oh.. and suddenly in middle school, Soda was supposedly not allowed. I found out when at one point during Lunch I was drinking a Sprite, and the assistant principal came up to me and told me to throw it away because it apparently wasn't allowed. I asked "Since when?" and she told me it was in the Student Handbook - I looked high and low later, there was no rule regarding Soda.

Also, bandanas of ANY color were apparently banned. -shrug-

There was also a track that students could walk on during break, and it was around a field - For some odd reason, you could ONLY go on the side of the field that was facing the main campus. The other half was off limits. Why? They said they couldn't keep it supervised. Yet apparently, they could keep that end of the track supervised.

3. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

We were allowed to listen to music in computer lab, but "parental advisory" cd's werent allowed, but it wasnt really enforced as i remember listening to Goldfingers debut and Reel Big Fish's "Turn the Radio Off" in computer lab and not getting into trouble.

4. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Well, most people identify bandanas as "gang stuff" and most schools don't want to hold responsibility over it since for all the schools know a kid in a gang can mistake one student as a rival gang member when he is just some kid wearing his favorite color bandana. Besides, bandanas also fall under hat, and wearing them inside is a sign of disrespect. I may not be the holiest man out there, but even when I walk into a church, I remove my hat, just as a sign of respect.

5. .bg

.bg Active Member

How exactly did they plan on enforcing this rule? Any possible means of actually inspecting said thongs would automatically become the subject of a sexual-harrassment lawsuit and the ruination of the school's reputation.

Besides, even without that, it's actually very skeevy. Why should the school be concerned with girl's thongs? Don't they have bigger problems?

It's rules like these that are making private schools, charter schools, and homeschooling more attractive and popular in this country. Unbelievable. What lesson is being taught here - that you should be punished severely for someone else not liking you?

6. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

When I was a junior in high school, the principal told us she didn't want to see couples walking around holding hands, and doing all that mushy crap. They didn't seem to enforce it heavily though, since nobody seemed to follow that rule.

7. cartoonguy96

cartoonguy96 "Hey Eddy?"

Someone told me once it was "illegal to wear hoodies in a public building". It was because of 9/11 and people could be "hiding stuff" under their hoodies.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The only extremely weird rules I can remember were from my high school. After the Homecoming Dance in my senior year, they put up these new rules. No one could enter the gym with any bag larger than our school handbook, which wasn't that big to begin with. The staff would also carry around those flashlights that detected a person's alcohol level, kind of like the ones police use, during the dance and if any person wad detected with alcohol, even if it was just from mouthwash, they would be in trouble.

Granted, the only weird rule to me was the handbag one, since most small bags that girls carry were bigger than our handbook, but I could still understand why there were more strict with the dance regulation. That same Homecoming Dance involved people getting drunk and drugs, which also led to police showing up at our school for a couple of weeks. Interestingly enough, I went to a private religious high school. The rules didn't even really bother me that much since I never went to any of the high school dances anyway.

9. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

Nah, I don't think that's true. I've worn my hood throughout Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer many times, and I've never been told that I shouldn't.

10. Plague Rat

Plague Rat Disease-ridden rodent

Some of you may have already heard this complaint before... but my school does not allow the use of USBs. Yep. A Career and Technical Institute that relies heavily on professional work training will not allow you to use a USB. THAT DOESN'T HELP ME AT ALL FFFFF.

But... the cell phone and iPod rules... jeez, lighten up people. Trust me, kids try to get away with it all the time, and when they do, it's really pathetic/annoying. Kids just text each other "lol i'm bored" under their desk and listen to their iPods at high volume instead of concentrating on work. I think it's pretty fair, and I don't even get any type of 'break'. The half hour ride up and back is enough time for the electronics.

We actually aren't allowed to wear hoodies because they supposedly make us look like 'hoodlums' and we need to dress more professional. Which reminds me... uniforms soon... yay. -.-

Same here with me, except they didn't enforce it until I held hands with a girl... then we got sent to the office and the vice principal screamed at us like it was the worst thing in the world. She claimed it was a safety issue.

11. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't you just love it when they do crap like that?

12. podznvines

podznvines Lost in the Internet

Not so much high school, but elementary/middle school had plenty of stupid rules. At the first elementary school I went to, there was no talking allowed in the mornings before class and at lunch, there were two cups strapped to each other at the edge of each table. The red cup = be quiet, and the yellow cup = talk amongst your table. I'm not sure about other elementary schools, but we were only allowed to sit with our classmates and couldn't get up without permission.

Middle school went downhill. At lunch there was assigned seating (yes, assigned seating)-->you only sat with your homeroom class and in alphabetical order. My seventh grade year, they introduced a standardized dress code (euphemism for uniforms). Of course, the parents thought it was a good idea, but they had no idea how brutally they enforced it. Most of the time, they were really picking on the students--> some students got away with an infraction (in plain sight) while others were written up.

Life's full of stupid rules; there'll be plenty more when I enter the workforce.

13. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

That reminds me.. Pretty much ALL "public displays of affection" were banned at my middle school. I recall hearing something about a kid almost being expelled for hugging his girlfriend on campus.

The yard monitors would gripe at people holding hands or even hi-fiving each other.

The principal highly enforced the dress code, which didn't affect me, but I had seen an instance where a girl was wearing a short skirt over pants, and was pulled into the office and apparently given detention.
    That's just ridiculous.

14. LightSpeedBlast

Bleh, I don't go to Public Schools. HomeSchool could cheer up even Charles Manson.

15. JasonFox

JasonFox The Maniacal Movie Critic

Weird school rules, is how the American Consitution parts apply at my University.

The right to bare arms.
    People at my University have the right to bring a concealed weapon to school. Their obv not aloud to shoot it, but its when I come in and say The Constitution needs some redefining.

Maybe get a Canadian to write it? :anime:

16. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Man, I would KILL for school uniforms. Do you have any idea how simple that would make things? I mean, I'd think I'm somewhat picky as far as shirts and such go (no buttons no pockets no zippers no collars no large lettering no pictures other than small logos no colors brighter than green-brown so on so forth), but just handing out the clothes to wear every day? It'd clear up my mornings, that's for sure. And I only own, like, four shirts and four pairs of jeans.

Plus, if the uniforms had those fancy little suit jackets, score. I love suit jackets. They're so snappy. But they, like muttonchops and bowler caps, can't be worn without an excuse of some kind, lest you look like a sociopath. And not the good kind of sociopath.

17. Plague Rat

Plague Rat Disease-ridden rodent

lol our uniforms would just be a t-shirt over our clothes that says what kind of lab we're in. THAT'S IT.

18. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Another one of my [strike]prison[/strike] school's ridiculous rules came to mind:

In junior high we weren't allowed to have BACKPACKS.

This one was utter nonsense. If you have a locker at one end and all your classes at the other, they really expected you to haul all your stuff around all day. We girls got around that, though, by using purses or messenger bags to carry things in. When I had surgery in 9th grade, I had to get special permission to have a backpack. :shrug:

19. Urusei Yatsura

Urusei Yatsura The Revolutionist

^ Same thing when I was in middle school. :sad:

In 7th grade during Spring, they banned jackets from school... Because they said that was how drugs were being spread. :shrug:

In Middle School during the Book Fair, you had to take off your jackets before you entered there, cause they said you would steal stuff. I understand where they're coming from... But it's sad that they can't trust us. :sweat:

20. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Our school just started enforcing this...my best friend almost got reported a few weeks ago for hugging one of her other friends (they're both girls and it was only a friendly "I haven't seen you in a while" hug :shrug:).

Oh god, this is how it's always been for me, ESPECIALLY when they started shortening the time between classes from 10 minutes to 7 minutes (and starting this year, it's only FIVE minutes). This is why I have permanent back pains that'll follow me for the rest of my life... :sad:

Plus, they're seriously thinking of enforcing that rule of not bringing backpacks to class, so I'm really willing to bet that 95% of the students are destined for suspensions due to tardiness.

Another stupid rule that my school has begun enforcing this year is no cell phones at all. Now, okay, the rule up till now has been "no cell phones during class", which makes absolute sense. But no, they mean NO CELL PHONES ANYWHERE ON SCHOOL GROUNDS.

The school is in a lockdown because of a gunman and you want to let your parents know you're safe? Nope (this really happened last year, btw). Missed the late bus and you have to get a ride from your parents? You're stuck there overnight. They don't even let us use any of the school phones, so it's impossible to make emergency contacts with the outside world while you're there.