1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid/Weird School Rules

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Rho, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ThePRPD

ThePRPD The one with the nose.

Regarding my last post I made a little type. I meant to type "most schools" not "no schools"

Dodgeball is so much fun! Especially if you are using wrenches or traffic as ball substitutes.

2. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yes it is. Why do you think some students repeat grades?

3. Jacob

Jacob Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know what I'd do at school without my iPod. Pretty much everyone brings their iPod to school, and the teachers allow us to listen to our iPods while we're studying, or after we take a test and have to wait for all of the other kids to finish. So, I like being able to listen to an iPod at school, but I don't let it interfere with my work. The only times I would listen to my iPod are when we're running in Gym, or after a test, when I'm bored.

Although, I can see how an iPod could be distracting. Some kids listen to their iPod during class. They put the headphone cord under their shirt, iPod in their pocket, and where a hood so the teacher can't see the earbuds. I just hope that doesn't bring about the banning of iPods.

My school is fairly relaxed when it comes to rules. Cell phones, iPods, and gum are allowed. But we do have a strict dress code - collared shirts or shirts with the school's logo on them. I don't mind it though. And hats aren't allowed. I hate that rule.

Detentions? I don't know that we have those. I'm sure glad I don't go to Rho's school, though. Giving people detention for not doing well on their tests? If the test scores at Rho's school are really poor, I could almost see how that would be their last-resort to try to bring the grades up. But I should think that just getting bad grades would be punishment enough for kids. And hopefully the parents would react when they get D's and F's on their report card.

4. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

I already mentioned the whole iPod thing in another thread similar to this one that I made, but get this:

We were doing an oral project on any theme we would want to talk about, and one girl in my class actually talked about the aspects of crime...

...by showing us pictures of people being brutally murdered, like heads riped off or guts showing out. I looked away after 2 photos, but everyone else apperantly were actually interested and actually facinated by it. Dear. God.

Gore is okay, but iPods and cell phones are of the devil.

My school is (still) stupid. And bizarre. :shrug:

5. Jmill

Jmill Person

Most of my school's rules are justifiable. There were a few exceptions in middle school. I had a teacher who didn't want any geography time wasted, so even if you finished your test and your homework, you still couldn't read a book unless it was geography.

The other exception was the gum rule. A teacher tried to explain it, but it wasn't a good explanation.
    Teacher: Why can't you chew gum? Because it's one of the rules.:shrug:

6. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

Right after a complex lesson is given with a homework sheet of problems involving that?

Also, speaking of middle school..

Suddenly in 8th Grade, you could ONLY eat or drink at the tables - nowhere else. Not on the track, nowhere besides there. And guess what their reason was? No, not litter - They thought someone would end up choking.

Because sitting at a table and eating and sitting on a bench is SUCH a difference in safety. :shrug:

My god, there's probably MANY more I can remember from my awful middle school.

7. Kouji Tamino

Kouji Tamino You Understand Nothing

Because gum is messy and grade school kids are irresponsible with it. Now that I'm in college, it's such a relief to not see or feel gum under the desks.

The justification for no-hats at my school was to prevent fights. Hats can be knocked off, stolen, etc, and then a fight breaks out. In a world where someone can get beat up when an orange they dropped rolls on the ground and taps someone else's shoe, hats in school are a brawl waiting to happen.

8. GregX

GregX Active Member

Because it was relevant to the topic being discussed. The world is a scary place, and school is about preparing you for it.

When I was in tenth grade, we had an month dedicated to studying the Holocaust. Part of the curriculum was spending a day watching documentaries with very real, and very graphic footage of what happened. We were all horrified, as we should be. Students looked away. But it was important to learn.

Of course, last I heard, those videos were banned a couple years ago because some student whined about it to their parents, and the parents raised hell with the school board.

So, the Holocaust project no longer exists there. The trip she always took students on to the Jewish Museum in Manhattan no longer takes place (the entire second floor is dedicated to the Holocaust). Instead, there is an extremely santized few days to discussing it and reading the chapter in the text book.

All because some kid's parents didn't want their kid to see images that might spook them. Give me a break.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

"Hey, take your hat off. This ain't a hot dog stand. They took out the bleachers two years ago." :D

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

It depends. Obviously you're not going to repeat a grade for not doing well in one lesson. However, I don't necessarily see giving detention for doing bad in your studies as a stupid rule. If anything, it acts as an incentive for students to do well.

If you're getting detention for bad grades you either don't care about your studies or there's a learning problem with you.

11. GregX

GregX Active Member

Nice!

;)

12. Chazooma

Chazooma =' 3 '=

At the elementary/middle school I used to go to,
    no nail polish was allowed. You could wear clear in 8th grade.
    I didn't really care, but I thought it was kind of weird.

13. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

If you really think a rule is unfair, break it and accept the consequences in protest. Whining about it accomplishes nothing. We had a situation where the teachers were running around measuring everyone's shorts and skirts at my high school and people didn't mutter about it on message boards, they disobeyed and even got t-shirts printed that said the name of the high school and a prisoner number. The school didn't change the dress code but they laid off the humiliating practice of running around measuring people.

But be sure you fully understand the rule and that it's a rule worth breaking. In a lot of cases in this thread, what you guys are describing as stupid or weird rules just seem to be rules that inconvenience you but are for your own good or rules that you may not fully understand the reasons for.

14. Sparticus

Sparticus Should be drawing right now...

The second half there about the learning problems. Too many teachers would rather pass a struggling student and keep their own stats up, than actually do their job and help them learn; so giving a kid with a undiagnosed learning issue detention for low grades is bad. Very very bad.

Back in 5th grade I used to tutor a kid with severe dyslexia, all of his teachers up to that point considered him a lost cause and passed him with a D pretty much so that they didn't have to deal with him - even though they were well aware of his problem (I was somewhat appalled that his current teacher (also my teacher - we were in the same class) did it too 'cause she was otherwise really cool). After I started working with him, he very quickly pulled his grades up and was on the honor roll by the end of the year.

How'd I do it? I asked what HE saw when he looked at words. Once I knew what he was seeing, I just showed him a few tricks to remember how letters are supposed to look, and told him that if he still wasn't sure to just ask.

Come to find out later via my parents talking to his parents, that no one had EVER asked him what he saw when he looked at words, they just kept punishing him whenever he got it wrong, and assigning him remedial crap because they all thought he was stupid.

Punishing bad grades doesn't do a damn thing. The kids who are genuinely struggling are just having their self esteem ground into the dirt, and the kids who just don't care aren't going to start caring because of some asinine policy.

Okay, that just wins. XD And I totally thought about doing that at several points during middle and high school. Middle school woulda been extra ironic 'cause of the state prison the town was known for...

15. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

BOOO! No Dodgeball? That was the best game ever growing up. Couldn't they just do what other school do and use soft foam balls instead? That's a nice alternative if they're worried about injuries one can get from the balls.

As for stupid/silly rule, I remember my senior year they had that policy where you had to wear a name badge with your picture on it. Not sure why, it felt silly since the cards were basically for show, it wasn't like they opened doors or something, or that the teachers cared.

16. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

It was like that at my middle school too. They were only allowed before and after school, but back then iPods didn't exist (and if they did, they cost an arm and a leg) and only the spoiled rotten rich kids had cell phones.
    We didn't have uniforms at my high school. They didn't give a darn what you wore (unless you were in a dress or something). They had a rule like that in middle school, until they added uniforms when I was in 8th grade

Well at my middle school the only place we could eat our lunch was the cafeteria. Once lunch started, you aren't leaving that place until about 5 or 10 minutes before it is done (my school had "recess" where they let us run around the courtyard.

17. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

We weren't allowed to play dodge ball or red rover in elementary school. But in middle and high school gym we played dodge ball all the time, though I did go to 8th-12th grades in a different state than K-7.
    We had to wear grey shirts with our names on the back and black shorts in gym class. If the shirt had printing on it, that was fine; it just had to be grey.

Cell phones and iPods weren't banned when I was in high school, but they had to stay off (though most people left them on silent) during the day. They were supposed to stay off and in our lockers, but no one paid attention to that. We also had a no hats rule, and hoods counted as hats so people couldn't try to listen to their iPods by covering up with a sweatshirt. I was okay with all those rules, myself.

18. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

My brother tells me that in the middle school i use to go to (he goes there now), any physical contact between students from hugs to high fives are banned and punishable as sexual harrasment. Yes, people have been punished for hugging each other, and high fives have been punished, these rules are enforced. Apparently in the years after i had left some students were caught having sex in the bathroom and it caused a scandal big enough for them to make these ridiculous rules. LOL.

In a similar situation, in Highschool my AP Statics teacher told us a story about how her daughter in elementary (i think she was in kindergarden) school was punished for hugging a friend, she had to sit in the corner, and all she did was hug. So, yeah, around where i live their taking this no touch thing very seriously.
    We werent allowed to play dodgeball at my highschool, one day i asked a gym teahcer why and apparently it was because they were afraid of getting sued, cause apparently someone sued them in the past for a dodgeball related injury, so their taking no chances.

19. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

My school didn't even allow you to keep your hood up.

20. Shredhead

Shredhead Suck gas evildoers!

My school had those as well no one knew why we had to wear them most the time when we asked the teachers why they came up with some BS awnser that never made sense. I broke mine like a hundred times I mangled it.

Also heres anther rule I cant remember if they really did enforce this rule I hope they changed there minds cause I find it gross. I heard the girls had to pass a thong inspection to get into the dance. Yup they wanted to control the panties girls wear.