1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid/Weird School Rules

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Rho, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

What school rules have you had that were weird, pointless, or just plain stupid?

Elementary:

They attempted to ban candy from being on school grounds. HA. Guess how long that was enforced.
    Day before Halloween, 1st Grade, Principal speaking at an assembly:
    "YOU MAY ONLY BRING ONE PIECE OF CANDY TO SCHOOL."

You weren't allowed to throw small rocks into these large bodies of water that would form when it rained heavily. Because somehow someone could fall in and drown or something. Even though it was about a foot deep.

Middle School:

Until you stepped foot in your own home, you apparently were still considered to be at school and had to follow school rules and whatnot.

Cameras weren't allowed, even after school - In fact, ESPECIALLY not after school. Because (and get ready for something INCREDIBLY stupid) - They thought that it could end up blinding someone.

iPods, Cell Phones, etc. were never allowed. Not even at break.

Detentions were issued for low grades on schoolwork.

You had to have straight A's to go to their crappy dances.

2. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

How are any of those "stupid rules"? It makes sense that they'd reward you and punish you for the effort you put into your work at school. You can't expect to get lazy and go unnoticed by your teachers. Similarly, they can't just let anyone into those dances, and judging by your attitude towards the concept, you didn't seem to care for them anyway so why even complain about it?

As for the first one, it's become standard since the various school-related violence caught the eye of the media and legal system. Basically, they're trying to prevent themselves from being dragged into another high-profile act of violence so they took the initiative of getting you to behave even outside the classroom. Doesn't seem like a problem to me unless you get angry easily or love escalating a problem.

3. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

Getting punished for not grasping a new lesson well is not justifiable.

The dances cost money, and it wasn't as if you just needed to be passing - You HAD to have 100% A's.

It only works to a certain extent - The no cussing rule, for example, doesn't.

4. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No cell phones, iPods, etc. on campus sounds fine to me. Aside from being distractions, it also prevents theft and some idiots trying to hold the school responsible for having something of their's stolen that they should have left at home in the first place.

But detention just for low grades and straights As only in order to attend dances is a little overboard. Our dances were always open to anyone to attend if they wanted to, and detentions were handed out for things like excessive tardiness, being a pain in the butt in class, etc.

As for rules I encountered, not many. The only big rule I recall was that my middle school (1991-1993 when I attended) did not allow you to wear hats on campus. I have no idea why, and as somebody who was/is accustomed to wearing hats whenever I'm outside, it didn't sit well with me. But I dealt with it. I'd wear one to school, stash it in my locker, then put it back on afterward.

In high school my Freshman English teacher also had a no-hat policy, and we had to put them in the tray under our seat while we were in class. Oddly enough, when I was her Teacher's Assistant my Junior year, wearing it was fine.

Those are the only rules I can recall, other than the more standard "goes without saying" rules like no fighting, no destruction of school property, etc. etc. I guess going to school between 1984-1997 was different than it is nowadays.

5. Sparticus

Sparticus Should be drawing right now...

Oh yeah, I remember that one. That was an interesting one - it can very very easily backfire for the school depending on what all the kiddies are up to.

I wonder what about campus they didn't want accidentally getting into the background of photo's and being thrown in the internet. Code violation maybe? Heh heh. I've never heard of that being a problem, unless they had a lot of people snapping photo's at inappropriate moments, or of inappropriate subjects. :B Even then... didn't they have a photo class in art or something? What about the school paper?

Wow. Orwellian much?

Lets see... my schools mostly had a lot of Zero Tolerance crap thrown at us and it was usually unfair in most situations - ESPECIALLY fights. Apparently it didn't matter if someone was beating the crap out of you, if you made any attempt to defend yourself you were suspended.

A fight broke out once in middle school that pretty much the whole school saw. The guy who started it was a real jerk, the guy he attacked was not - but he unfortunately made the mistake of defending himself. Not only were they both suspended and nearly expelled, the school REFUSED to listen to any eyewitness accounts (which included the teachers who broke them up) that the other guy wasn't at fault - heck he didn't even have a history of fighting.

That's such a wonderful message to send to kids. Don't fight back. Ever. You'll get in trouble. So play the victim and sue them later. No wonder we're a nation of wusses.

And I could never figure out the "no gang colors" rules. I even asked a teacher once that if I theoretically started a gang and our colors were pastel pinks, purples and greens, would those colors all be banned, or just the combination there-of? I got a rather nasty look for that. Especially after I asked about any Easter decorations that might go up with the same color scheme. :evil:

6. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

It’s past two in the morning and I’m extremely sleepy, so I may not articulate this well, but I think it’s stupid that high schools force freshmen to pick a major. I’m not sure if it’s like that in every school, but it was like that in mine and it happens elsewhere. I had no idea what the hell I wanted to do with my life so I chose to major in computer sciences, or more specifically, programming. Well, they forced me to take a computer programming class, as well as physics, and even though I passed both I don’t remember a damn thing. I was a stupid kid thinking computers were a good way to make easy money, but it sure didn’t turn out that way. There were other classes they forced me to take, such as two years of Spanish. Why was that needed for computer sciences? Eh…

Kids in high school shouldn’t have to deal with all of that stuff. Just teach them the rudimentary courses that they’ll need if they go to college. Don’t force them to make a high-pressure decisions that determines certain classes they’ll be required to take over the next four years.

7. Terror of Death

Terror of Death Active Member

I went to a religious high school so one of the rules was mandatory community service and you had to join at least one after school club or sport. If you didn't do it you received a zero on your final exam for religion class, automatically had to attend summer school, and on top of that you were required to complete twice the amount of community service. I don't have a problem with giving back to the community but if your doing it out of fear of being severely punished instead of out of the kindness and generosity of your heart that defeats the entire purpose of what the religion course is trying to teach you in the first place.

Another dumb rule was that some of the teachers actually required you to say hello or good morning to them every time you came to class or met in the hallways otherwise you had to spend 2-3 hours in detention.

8. Tapout

Tapout Active Member

I can't even imagine that. Not only would I break that rule on general principle no matter how much I may have liked the teacher (although liking anyone who could come up with such a rule seems outside the realm of possibility), but I wouldn't even show up for those detentions.

9. ThePRPD

ThePRPD The one with the nose.

No hats allowed. Very common rule in most schools...
    Why?? I never understood it.

That's the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

#9 ThePRPD, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  10. JD08

JD08 Active Member

My school enforced this rule because people try to hide things in their hat drugs, CD's, and even a gun.
    Although three rules that irked me were if you had a over 150 dollars they would confiscate it and turn it in to the school officer who then in turn would try to arrest you.

And if you made failing grades they'd give you after-school tutoring and they didn't even have that thought out perfectly they never gave anything to eat (we got out of schoo at two 2:00 and stayed 4:30) and if you didn't have a ride they would tell you to wait for the city bus which leaves 30 minutes before the tutoring is over so kids would get home about 6 or 7 waitng for another bus just terrible.

The last one was if you got into a fight they'd have you arrested and send you to juvenile hall even if you didn't start it or if you walked by to watch or got caught in the crossfire I was like really though? This is the lengths you go to stop fighting how about peer counseling or do like the gym teachers do if they see a fight put the boxing gloves on and have them fight it out and at the end talk it out.

11. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

In junior high school we weren't allowed to tie sweatshirts around our waists.

:shrug:

They said it's because we were all hiding short shirts.

12. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I believe it's a politeness thing. You really shouldn't be wearing hats indoors. Most people look at it was bad manners if you keep your hat on in school.

13. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I'm pretty sure that while I was in school, that rule was gang related.

14. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yeah, my school had a rule similar to this, except a bit worse. Even if you didn't fight back, if you were "involved," in the fight then you would be suspended. I remember my sophomore year this very ignorant white kid decided to beat up an african american, and even though the african american literally layed on the ground getting beat up (he put his arms in front of his face), he still got suspended. I remember that some of the teachers were pretty upset with this decision, but apparently that was the policy.

Some other rules I thought were a bit silly...

-During lunch you could have your iPod, or any other music device out but phones weren't allowed. I just thought this was kind of lame because it should really be an all-or-nothing rule when it comes to electronics.

-In elementary school they banned dodge ball because they believed it to be too violent. I guess they are right to a certain degree, but come on, dodge ball was perhaps the best recess game to play.

-For Gym in high school we had to wear a white t-shirt and blue basketball shorts, no exceptions. I suppose they just wanted everyone to be uniform, but honestly, does it really matter that much if someone wears black basketball shorts? (If you weren't dressed correctly they would automatically make your final grade a letter lower).

I'm sure there are more, but that is all I can think of for now.

15. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

When they banned Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. They gave no reason, they just did it. It was so dumb that the teachers simply would not enforce it. They saw us dueling but didn't care. I remember when they almost banned Bionicles because people were "using them in inappropriate ways such as fighting." That's what they're meant to do, you don't stare at them! If you didn't like them fighting, then theu should have banned them!

16. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can't imagine going through elementary school without playing dodge ball. So much fun! I guess that's another benefit of having been in elementary school in the '80s instead of today. :(

Don't most high schools (and middle schools) already have a uniform set of gym clothes for students to wear, typically using the school colors? That's how I've always seen it done. We had a white T-shirt with the school logo and green shorts. During the colder months, we were allowed to wear gray sweat pants over our gym shorts. (Though in middle school, the gym shorts had to be worn over our sweat pants, so that the instructors could make sure we were still wearing our gym shorts. It looked pretty silly.)

17. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

They probably banned those things, or at least should have, because they are a distraction, and you're at school to learn, not to play with toys. Maybe Bionicles are meant to be played with rather than looked at, but they shouldn't be brought to school.

I know, it was the same thing when I was in middle and early high school, except with us we had those stupid Tech Deck skateboards. I can't tell you how many of those things I had confiscated from me, because the teachers would constantly be annoyed by us flipping those things all over the desktop.

18. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

No, I mean Yu-Gi-Oh during recess. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY even looked at them during class, the rule was that had to stay in our backpacks until recess.

19. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Heh...

They banned stuff like that at my middle school... not because they were a distraction, but because of theft.

20. GregX

GregX Active Member

How is this a stupid rule? Call me old, but when I graduated High School, cell phones weren't as widespread as they are. I think maybe one or two students in my entire graduating class had one. And iPods? Didn't exist...

But, having been in the work force, I can see those things as great, big distractions (even I've been guilty of it). People send texts when they should be working, take calls when they have more important things to do.

And teenagers are easily distracted. Walkmans were banned when I was in school, and for good reason. Too many students were listening to music IN class, trying to hide it with tiny headphones. You're there to learn, not listen to music.

As for emergency calls. If it's an emergency, any school that's sane will let you make an emergency call from the office, and if family needs to reach you, they can call the office and have you pulled from class.

It's about respect. And I think it's a good rule. There's no need to wear a hat indoors.

I'll admit, it annoys me when I go to a nice restaurant and see someone wearing a baseball cap in there. A fast food joint, or a T.G.I. Fridays or Applebees is fine, but not a slightly more upscale place.

Okay, that's just stupid. No reason to ban Dodge Ball, at all.