Studio Ghibli's "The Secret World of Arrietty" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by defunctzombie, Nov 25, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - The Secret World of Arrietty

1. *****

21.4%
  2. ****1/2

35.7%
  3. ****

21.4%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

21.4%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

Disney has attached trailers for this to The Muppets, so I figure it's time to discuss!

[​IMG]

The US release date is February 17th, 2012. I don't know how many theaters it will be in, but I'm thinking enough for most people to go see it. The trailer (click here to see) looks like it gives away a little too much, but I still think it's worth watching.

The dub cast seems alright. Amy Pohler stands out a little bit, but maybe it's just the lines from the trailer and not the whole movie.

The UK has its own dub, so we'll have to see how well the US one stands up to it.

Plot Summary:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
  2. JTurner

JTurner New Member

I actually saw this trailer when I went to see The Muppets this past weekend (which, by the way, was a lot of fun—I recommend it heartily), and I have to say that it sounds very solid. Then again, I love all the Ghibli dubs pretty much unreservedly, and I really don't expect this to be an exception. I can't think of one of their dubs that I don't like.

3. Justy

Justy Now you see me...now you don't

Depending on how many theaters they release it in and how much promotion they do for the film (not to mention if it's not up against some blockbuster), it could prove to be a hit. The material is familiar with public (The Littles, The Borrowers, etc.) and the gorgeous 2D animation will stand out from the recent glut of CG films. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

4. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

The one thing that slightly worries me is that thanks to it already being released in England a lot of people have watched that dub already and might be less likely to see this when it comes here. Searching Arrietty on Twitter and there's way more "Arrietty was such a great movie!" posts than "I can't wait to see Arrietty!" posts. Don't know where these people are posting from, exactly, but it's a factor the other Ghibli films in theaters haven't had to deal with.

5. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

Anime fans are notorious bootleggers and piraters.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

There's a nice review of Arrietty over at Nihon Review that doesn't spoil very much. This is a good money quote on what's up with the two leads, Arrietty and Sho, for those that would prefer to go into this as fresh as possible:

The artistry is apparently really excellent, which I'm sure is no surprise.

7. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

I remember a trailer for this movie being attached to Puss in Boots and was expecting it to be attached to The Muppets. I never read the source material that this movie is based on, but I think I'll give this movie a shot. I am confident that my theater will show this since they did end up show Ponyo.

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

So, Arrietty will be out in theaters on 2/17/12 on 1200+ screens according to the Animation Guild blog, which is a sizable jump from the 900 Ponyo got. John Lasseter's the man.

Dubbed clips were recently posted Cinemablend and Moviefone, while the LA Times' Hero Complex blog has an excellent piece on the movie that includes comments from voice director Gary Rydstrom.

The Wall Street Journal has a recent article also, though you may encounter a paywall.

9. Leaping Larry Jojo

The UK and Australian reviews have been largely positive. In fact, so far it's the best-reviewed Ghibli film directed by someone other than Miyazaki or Takahata.

I have doubts about its chances for success though. The North American mainstream public never fails to prove me right about their tastes in animation.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

I'll be seeing this on the Disney studio lot on Thursday. Pretty excited :) .

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

I've seen the trailer in front of the Muppets, I've seen the ads playing on TV, and I've seen posters for it is up in two nearby movie theaters. It seems Disney's more serious about getting people to see this one compared to Ponyo. I'm really excited for it.
    And think, if this film does good, maybe more anime films will get theatrical releases in America!

12. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 11/1/14

Saw the trailer for this attached with Beauty and the Beast 3D. Is this movie going to be released in 3D as well, or no?

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Nope, it was created as a 2D motion picture and they wisely refrained from doing a conversion after the fact. Ghibli's not poised to do 3D in the near future.

The movie is out today; this page should be useful for finding showtimes close to where you live.

Created a poll!

14. Leaping Larry Jojo

Well, it's the highest rated movie this week on Rotten Tomatoes. Let's see if 1200 screens does anything for its box office intake.

15. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

Wow. Altoona has it on opening week. Never thought I'd see that happen, we're such a small town compared to some of the other Ghibli openings.

I'll probably get over there on Monday.

16. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

Saw it today and I will say that it was an interesting watch. The animation is top notch as always and I like the character of Shawn. I did like the funny bits where the maid around the place went mental near the end. That actually got the biggest response out of everyone in the film. I personally think that the weakness of this movie was the pacing. It felt slow at times for me.

17. Leaping Larry Jojo

Not to sound flippant, but isn't EVERY Studio Ghibli film kind of "slow"? I mean, some of Ghibli's most beloved movies, like Totoro and Kiki, move at a snail's pace. Whisper of the Heart ranges from slow to ungodly slow. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke aren't exactly race horses either.

I figure slow pacing is kind of something we expect out of Ghibli by now.

18. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

Haven't really gotten around to watching all Stuido Ghibli films, so I can't make that broad of a statement if I wanted to. Though I guess I never noticed the pacing.

Haven't watched these in a while, especially Kiki, but I loved Totoro's world and the characters.

I never saw that one, so you got me there.

At least with these two, I loved the world I was shown and I loved seeing everything about it. Other than the story, both of these had some eye candy with the animation and designs that held my attention all the way through to the point that I was sad to see it end. Can't really say much about Arrietty's world since it's basically ours, but shown from the perspective of people that are not even half a foot and have to be secret about it. I think I found my problem. The world itself was just average for me and that's why it felt slow.

19. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

That one is so different than most other Ghibli films that it's hard to judge it. The closest ones to it are Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves, and all three are realistic fiction so you can expect them to trudge along.

20. Leaping Larry Jojo

Oh, don't get me wrong. I *love* all the films I listed. But a person who is not totally engaged, or distances his or herself from these films when watching them, is bound to find them slow paced.

I think more accurately I should say that Ghibli has never, ever, made a fast-paced film. NEVER. Ponyo is probably their fastest paced film objectively speaking, but to American audiences, that's akin to Ghibli going from riding a snail to riding a turtle. Hell, Ponyo has this almost 10 minute scene devoted to staying in a house and eating noodles. That's like half the running time of a TV episode!

The slow, deliberate pace is kinda their trademark.