1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange thing i found in a 1934 terrytoon.

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by sasq, Feb 7, 2016.

1. sasq

sasq Active Member

Listen carefully at 2:05

Isn't that sound the NBC chimes? how did they get in there?

2. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

That's.....uncanny. As uncanny as the Mickey Mouse doppelgangers.

3. Coffee

Coffee Member

That's strange. NBC first used the chimes in 1929, so it's very possible that this was a reference/easter egg.

#3 Coffee, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

They also appeared in the Sniffles short "Bedtime for Sniffles" (from Warner Bros.).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

5. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o New Member

The history of NBC's chimes explains everything to a point. Then simply understanding how things develop fills in the gaps. Plus the sequence of notes is appealing. It is catchy. I doubt there is a clever conspiracy nodding at something of significance.

BTW, no one had any idea how big Micky Mouse would become. There have been other mouse characters in cartoon history. I guess mice were more common to everyday life in those times or because it was a smaller world (depending on how you view it) all it may have taken was for one person to use a mouse character and for everyone else to associate it with cartoon animation thereafter.

6. Steve Burstein

The NBC chimes were an integral part of daily life for everybody who had a radio in the 30s and beyond. It's not strange at all that they'd have found their way into a cartoon. Mickey Mouse WAS very big in 1934, as big a star as Garbo, and it would be surprising if Disney didn't sue.

7. Steve Burstein

The NBC chimes were an integral part of daily life for everybody who had a radio in the 30s and beyond. It's not strange at all that they'd have found their way into a cartoon. Mickey Mouse WAS very big in 1934, as big a star as Garbo, and it would be surprising if Disney didn't sue.