1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Steven Universe" News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Nexonius, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Although NYCC didn't seem to give too much news, it did say that the show will return this Winter, starting with "Dewey Wins". Going off TV's definition of Winter, that most likely means either December or January (more likely the latter).

If this isn't a Steven Nuke, I will be shocked.

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

...Or it could mean February.

I hope it's not a Steven nuke, another nuke means more crazy hiatuses in the future. They should either release a new episode weekly, or do a Steven Bomb every other month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. CNFan1995

CNFan1995 Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.

Here's a clip from an upcoming episode of Steven Universe and is called: Dewey Wins

#1283 CNFan1995, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. Toon4Thought

I very much believe they have enough of an episode backlog to do a nuke then immediately follow with more weekly episodes. They did just that with Summer of Steven, after all.

I agree that doing a bomb every other month would probably be better, but I can at least see the strategy they're going for here: build up expectations as much as possible, then deliver in a huge way.

5. CNFan1995

CNFan1995 Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.

My new safest bet that Steven Universe will return December.

6. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Since they said Winter, I'm think it will be January. But if there's a multi-part special, it could be in the middle of December.
    They have been stockpiling on episodes for five months. I'm certain they're all finished. But yeah, I'm sick of artificial hiatuses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toon4Thought

I mean, assuming this is going to be a nuke, it'll very likely jump right into season 6 either at the end of it or immediately afterward.

At least this time we don't have a network mistake showing us footage that would go unaired for 4 months; that was much more of a tease IMO.

Also, considering they put up the clip on their official channel, I very strongly believe it won't be any later than early January, and it might possibly hit the app before the end of the month.

#1287 Toon4Thought, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  8. Digamma-F-Wau

Digamma-F-Wau Active Member

Neat to see that Lamar and Jeff are gonna continue to be a team together

9. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

If they said "Winter" then that probably means January. If they meant December they would have said "holiday". With that being said, I'm hoping/expecting a nuke. (Gem-uary perhaps?)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

I rather for them to get it over with this, but if choosing January/February is the only choice, Well, that’s probably be the only thing that fans would have to deal with, but hoping for them to do a month’s worth of episodes is fine by me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

I have to be honest that I kind of appreciate the breather from the show. It has more to do with the fandom and I felt this show needed a cool down period. I feel like with all the other shows that will be getting new episodes (Ducktales, Star, Voltron, OK KO etc...) during this period I’m kind of chill about the whole thing. Yes, this has been a super long hiatus but I recall even more mainstream fandoms like Doctor Who and Game of Thrones taking over a year off and I feel this is no different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NeoplanDan

NeoplanDan Musical ZF

The same for Rick and Morty, which they ended their second season from late 2015, and it took roughly a year and a half to return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

The hiatus is long but at the same time there have been longer hiatuses in the past now that I think about it for other CN shows. I really can't imagine this show going past a year for one.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

It's different because those shows finish their seasons before going on hiatus. They put this show on hiatus right after the season premiere. Also, they didn't have episodes in the can while they were on hiatus. They spent the time making new ones.

15. Toon4Thought

Well, it's also worth noting 52-episode strings for most CN shows (this one included) always seem to take roughly a year and a half to fully air. This set began in August 2016, so it would stand to reason it will end in either January or February. And I'm close to positive they'll jump into season 6 immediately afterward.

Basically, CN tends not to put shows on hiatus based on seasons (Gumball seems to be the biggest exception, and even then they have taken a mid-season break from time to time - the most recent one being 6 months), just whenever they feel it's most appropriate. Here, it seems they are saving the eps for a big event specifically so it will be all the more hyped.

• Like Like x 1
    #1295 Toon4Thought, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  16. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

I just want to point out it also seems pretty timely how Steven Universe's hiatus coincided with the increase of PR for OK KO! I'm actually kind of glad Steven's absence is giving breathing room for that show's fanbase to grow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Digamma-F-Wau

Digamma-F-Wau Active Member

I might not entirely be a coincidence: OK KO's first season actually began storyboarding roughly around the same time as production season 3 (seasons 4 and 5) of Steven Universe

18. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Will the show have a proper ending or not? From the little I've seen from it, admittedly I don't watch or know CN's newer originals as much as the old ones, it seems to be quite heavy with the lore. Perhaps even moreso than Regular Show or Adventure Time. Things are moving forward and there seems to be a sense of real progress. In general I like the show, but if I were to bingewatch the whole thing properly, will it in the end be worth it? And in regards to the dedicated fans who are into the series more than me, I really do hope CN ends the series on a high note unlike the Regular Show Finale which in terms of promotion was meh. I think any fans deserve only the best for sticking along for so long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Rebecca was quoted saying, "I have big plans for that season! Endgame or not I’m shooting for the moon, I’m going to write us into a serious corner!" so we know season 5 will have an ending, but The Steven Universe Podcast said they were working on a new season. So I think they'll make a new arc.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Well, at least they're planning something bigger and it won't be hopefully a letdown. Question is if CN will promote it. Something that comes to my mind, and it probably is wrong, is some superfusion for the finale against some other (maybe evil) force. I'm imagining literally all of them fusing together with Steven :D