1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Steven Universe" News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Nexonius, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

This is the news and discussion thread about Steven Universe, created by Rebecca Sugar (formerly of Adventure Time).

Let us start with the announcement made 4 months back:

Cartoon Network Greenlights Two Animated Series from Homegrown Talent | Cartoon Brew

Also, let's not forget that she's the first solo female to create a Cartoon Network series.

Around the same time, Ian Jones-Quartey (also formerly of Adventure Time and Secret Mountain Ft. Awesome) announced he's doing storyboards, while Steven Sugar's (Rebecca's brother) providing backgrounds.

Also on board are writers Matt Burnett and Ben Levin (who also wrote for Level Up).

This may be Cartoon Network's most anticipated series since Adventure Time, and I've been following the project since April via trademarks, but didn't know who created it.

What are your thoughts?

#1 Nexonius, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 Active Member

This is the show I'm looking forward to the most, followed by Clarence. I'm not familiar with her work on Adventure Time, but the plot behind this is compelling.

3. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

:eek: Say no more.

4. Spaceman

Spaceman I Am Here

Here's the first promotional poster (it's been posted by Cartoon Brew and The Mary Sue):

[​IMG]

Very excited to see this one.

5. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

He reminds me of a fat Scott Pilgrim. I'm intrigued.

6. ChildHood90s

ChildHood90s Loves his coffee

I love their character designs so much. Oh GOSH. C:

And "fat Scott Pilgrim" is the vibe I'm getting, too. I didn't expect to be, but color me excited for Steven Universe.

7. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool

Yep, I'm watching this! :)

8. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

A new original animated series where the art itself doesn't look awful! Hasn't happened since Regular Show. I'm sorry fans of The Problem Solverz, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome and The Annoying Orange, but those did have an appeal that probably hurt them. This could do good so far!

9. Captain Travis

Very excited for this the art is awesome though I'm not seeing the fat Scott Pilgrim resemblance. The story sounds promising and seems like its going to be very psychedelic.

10. GPRailroad8794

The appeal of a female getting her series greenlit alone is enough to get me to watch this. The plot is very interesting as well but the artwork is fresh!

Can't wait till we get an official premiere date.

11. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

lol i thought i was the only one XD. Now this i'm looking forward to see, looks like it will be fun.

12. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

What I saw in Regular Show and Adventure Time (and some parts Gumball) better be found here, that's for sure. By that, I mean overall enjoyability from the very start, especially if CN wants to make up for most of their current missteps as of late...

Those designs do show signs of positively strong potential, so that's one plus-side. It's all down to the storytelling & writing to do the rest for me...

13. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Bumping this thread since the recent news of Steven should belong here.

14. Zam

Zam Let me sleep internet!

15. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I'd be more impressed by the fact that the series creator is female, if it weren't for the fact that, a) the title character is a boy, and b) the title character has a present father and a dead/absent/missing mother. I was hoping that a female creator would want to avoid the usual tropes and try something a little different, but nonetheless, I want to like Steven Universe, so I'm going to try to not let my personal biases interfere with my overall feelings for the show when I watch the premiere.

#15 Goldstar Neo, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  16. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

17. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

While it's nice that Rebecca Sugar got her show greenlit, It doesn't matter to me what gender or ethnicity the creator of a show is. That's not what makes me interested in a show. It's a show's premise and characters. I'm interested in Steven Universe because I like the premise, the characters, and its aesthetics.

Personally I'd like to see more shows with non-white protagonists (preferably black), but the fact that Steven is white will not turn me away from this show. If I wasn't interested in shows just because they have a white protagonist, then I'd be missing out on a lot of neat shows, movies, video games, books, etc.

#17 Gatordragon, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  18. GPRailroad8794

That wasn't the point I was trying to make at all.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I too would like to see more shows with non-Caucasian leads as well as female leads (in the case of the former, particularly with them being fully flashed-out personalities rather than just being walking stereotypes based on their ethnicities), but there are so many shows starring Caucasian males that deliberately not watching a show simply because its' lead is one would practically mean swearing off TV altogether.

My 2 main reservations about Steven Universe are: 1) that the show seems to be employing the dead/missing/absentee mother trope, which I personally can't stand, though in this case I understand that it may be necessary for the premise; after all, if Steven's mom were still around there'd be no reason for him to be a Crystal Guardian, and consequently there'd be no show, and 2) the clips I've seen so far haven't been all that funny; SU seems to be more on the sweet and charming side, and while I have no problem with sweet and charming especially, I prefer my non-action toons to be more along the lines of the wiseguy/zany variety, so I'm concerned that SU may be a little too tame and/or artsy-wartsy for my liking, though some of the visuals I've seen are quite nice, character re-designs and all. I really like the show's title graphics.

Overall, I'm trying to take a "wait-and-see" approach to this show, as it's near impossible (and unwise) to totally pre-judge a show before seeing a full or episode or 2. There were some shows whose ads and previews actually turned me off, such as Duckman and Rocko's Modern Life, but after seeing them quickly became favorites of mine, so I could be pleasantly surprised by this. Fingers crossed.

20. Zam

Zam Let me sleep internet!