1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Steve Whitmire fired as Kermit the Frog?

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Fone Bone, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Replaced by Matt Vogel?

https://www.aol.com/article/enterta...ign=zergnet_2016368&ncid=txtlnkusaolp00001361

How am I just hearing about this? It seems like Whitmire rubbed people the wrong way, but I will disagree with Cheryl Henson, who complains that he performed Kermit as a bitter, angry, depressed victim. You know what? He did. But that's because the writers of the recent movies and TV show wrote him that way. That was actually one of his beefs! I understand Whitmire has been busy burning bridges with the studio, and talking smack whenever he can, so maybe Cheryl is in no mood to be charitable to this buttwipe. But the performance of Kermit himself has been perfectly consistent with how the recent Muppet projects were written. Sometimes it worked (Muppets Most Wanted), sometimes it didn't (The Muppets TV Series). But you can't fault Whitmire for performing Kermit as a bitter victim when that is how the new writers have been portraying him. That is on the Hensons for farming out the scripts to non Muppeteers, rather than Whitmire for performing them as he was told.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Also, now that I think about it, between this and the Kevin Clash thing, there has been WAY too much recent backstage drama in Muppetland. Stop it, Muppets. Now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

Vogel's new Kermit debuted this week:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

He sounds wrong, but to be perfectly blunt, so did Whitmire compared to Henson. We are very fortunate to have Eric Jacobson taking over for Frank Oz for Missy Piggy and Fozzie. I do not expect all of the castings to go that smoothly, especially because a Muppet isn't a character you can simply hire a soundalike for. They have to know puppetry and puppeteering. And that leaves a limited acting talent pool for voice replacements. I do not like Vogel's Kermit. But like Whitmire, I'll get used to it.

For the record, Vogel sounds closer to Henson than Whitmire ever did. Granted, it's ERNIE closer, rather than Kermit closer, but still.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Sounds like Steve, but the emotion kind of lacking.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I can hear a bit of Big Bird in his voice (he's Carroll Spinney's understudy for the character), but he sounds good enough. We just need like a movie or a tv show to really see how he does in the role.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know what kind of controversies there are with his previous performer, but I kind of like the new voice. It's going to be kind of weird when Steve Whitmire voiced Kermit for so many years, but the voice itself seems fine. It seems a bit more like Jim Henson's voice or a deeper tone to his voice. He'll need time to really get into the role, but I think it will be weird.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

When the new first came out, it broke my heart to see how everyone was talking about each other. Some articles I read said Matt Vogel's Kermit would debut the next week (which would have been July 20-something). I kept checking The Muppets' YouTube page and nothing was happening.

I wasn't sure how I would feel when the new Kermit showed up for the first time. In the end, I smiled. :) It just felt like it was all going to be okay.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Too much Muppet drama recently. I agree that it was ugly. These are things that probably should have been said privately.

10. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware Steve Whitmire had been fired. He was the voice of Kermit I'd heard for years. Anyway, Matt Vogel sounds fine and I don't have many complaints about his voice, given Ernie and Kermit always sounded similar to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Here's a longer form clip of an "interview" with the Muppets for the upcoming Hollywood Bowl featuring Vogel's Kermit.

It's growing on me. He does sound a bit closer to Henson than Whitmire at the end of the day. Considering Vogel voiced and performed Constantine in "Muppets Most Wanted", I guess this is kind of a shoe in, haha.

All I'm going to say is if Disney/The Jim Henson Company/whomever wanted Kermit to be recast at all, they clearly want to do more with The Muppets in the future, otherwise they could have easily let the franchise go dormant. There's the Hollywood Bowl and the upcoming Muppet Babies reboot...who knows what else is planned.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

The franchise has never really been dormant under Disney. They just moved from theatrical films to direct-to-video films for a while.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The voice is growing on me more as well. During that interview, there were times where Kermit almost sounded like a mixture of his two voices. It fits pretty well and I like it. He'll probably become more comfortable with the role after doing it for awhile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1