1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Wacker no Longer with Marvel Animation

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by strugler, Jun 30, 2017.

1. strugler

strugler Member

Well i sure did not see this one coming, but it has been confirmed via his tumbler, that Stephen Wacker is no longer part of Marvel animation as he moved to Marvel Television and new media.

Wacker\s last tumbler post also hints at some big animation project for next year that is newsworthy. He also stated right of the bat that it is not X-men related. What could it be?

The post in question (which you can read here: http://askwacker.tumblr.com/ ) end with the following quote: "You’re in better hands than ever with Cort Lane, Eric Radomski, Marsha Griffin and the entire Marvel Animation Studio crew bringing you the most action packed animated shows around." But are we really in better hands? I sure hope so.

What do you guys think?

• Informative Informative x 8
  2. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Maybe the new animated show next year is X-Men related and that he only said that it isn't in order to prevent online leaks because honestly, I'm still not happy that we haven't had a new X-Men animated show in nearly a decade.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  3. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Good on him. I've seen Animation Heads get completely dissatisfied with animation due to both struggles with the company as well as annoying fans. Stephen was always polite if snarky and was as large of a fan as us. I hope he does great things in his new endeavor.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

They should just do what Marvel did in the 90's and let their marketing department take over, it will probably save some time.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Aww... I'm going to miss him and his Tumblr responses. I hope he does well with whatever his career future holds.

I'm hoping that massively newsworthy show is that Black Widow show that I proposed awhile ago!

• Like Like x 6
  6. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

Is true that the shows are better now than with Loeb... but Wacker is someone 100% MCU, synergy is ruining everything IMO so I hope we have someone with more love for... comics and not only movies and current Marvel comics, I speak for myself, but I believe that an animated universe that can use all Marvel characters will have more quality, just imagine Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man series in the same universe, would be great!

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope he does well in whatever department he's in. Marvel Animation wasn't perfect under his tenure but I think there was a definite shift to arc based, continuity driven story telling that I appreciate. We also saw some interesting things develop such as the two hand drawn movie releases (improvements over the Heroes United movies) and the use of shorts. I don't know what was and wasn't his decisions but the guy up top should always get credit when they allow something good to happen. I'm kind of biased against just handing any reins of the animation or television departments over to comic guys but I'm optimistic that he might do some good there in ABC Land. I hope his successor with the animation department can advance things that much more.
    Waid and Samnee did a Black Widow series? That sounds good. Back when I still read comics regularly, I always thought Chris Samnee's style would look so cool adapted to animation. Samnee, Colleen Coover, David Aja, etc.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Yeah, they made a comic series as part of the All-New, All-Different Marvel line in late 2015/early 2016. I found most of those books to be really enjoying. After that, Marvel's comics seemed to go into a slum again.

Anyway, Waid and Samnee had a short-lived Black Widow series that seriously looked fantastic!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd be lying if I said I was Mr. Wacker's biggest fan, and I still feel his etiquette when dealing with fans could sometimes use some work, but I can't deny that he has made some significant and positive contributions to Marvel Animation in his tenure, however short :).

I also think Wacker has always been a TV guy at heart, so this promotion is probably something he's pretty happy about ;).

I'll always appreciate that, after Loeb, Mr. Wacker brought to the table some big improvements in the quality of writing and storytelling to Marvel Animation, and also helping deliver Guardians of The Galaxy which, for my money, is the best written of the cartoons :cool:.

I also think it's great how he tried to expand on the kind of productions Marvel Animation delivered, from the holiday animated movies to the awesome short series :D.

I'll also always appreciate that Mr. Wacker opened himself up to the fans through his Tumblr, answering so many questions (sometimes the same questions consistently) and through that revealed some cool tidbits about what we can expect from the cartoons or the creative process in general :anime:.

The occasional (or frequent) snarky/snide comment aside, they were always pretty fun to go through :harley:.

It'll be interesting to see what happens now that he's moved on and who might officially replace him, if anyone at all, as well as what kind of effect it will have on Marvel Animation as a whole :ack:.

From the sounds of it seems like the current Marvel Animation crew will continue as is, so I guess we can just hope that the positive contributions Wacker has made to Marvel Animation are continued going forward :proud:.

I do also wonder about what the "big animation project for next year" that's newsworthy might be. A new cartoon (to replace Guardians)? Or a new animated movie? Maybe we'll get an idea of what this is about at San Diego Comic-Con...

• Agree Agree x 4
    #9 Frontier, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  10. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Is this a promotion or is he just being moved to a different departmrnt?

11. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd think it was kind of a promotion since he's moving to the general television department and animation is just a division of that.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

That's shocking but I wish him luck. Wonder what's next for Marvel Animation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Maybe, but he was the head of (or at least, one of the heads) of the animation department, which is why I was wondering if this move is a promotion or not.

14. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Well, at least he doesn't have to answer questions about continuity anymore!

That didn't begin with Wacker and it's not gonna end with Wacker, so people should probably put that out of their minds right now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Time really flew by.
    Wish him the best on heading the general tv division. Makes me even more ecstatic about those upcoming non-Netflix and ABC shows.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's a similar promotion to what Loeb was given.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

True, but at least with Loeb in charge we had cameos of Wolverine and Deadpool in Ultimate Spider-Man... with Wacker, well, he publicly stated that he doesn't like The X-Men, maybe with his successor we will continue to have the same levels of synergy, but also maybe more love for non-MCU characters as well, Marvel X-Men/Fantastic Four ban is really stupid IMO, if they use X-Men characters in animated series would have more to gain than to lose.

18. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

IIRC, Loeb was hired to be the head of both Marvel TV and Marvel Animation. So I'm not sure if Wacker's new position is a promotion.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Marvel probably believes Marvel Television is a bigger priority then Marvel Animation, and Wacker's position is probably closer to Loeb then his old one, so I'd guess it's a promotion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Where did Wacker say that he hates the X-Men?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

#20 AdrenalineRush1996, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017