"Steamboat Willie" (1928) vs. "A Wild Hare" (1940)

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by TheDaveMaybe, Oct 7, 2017.

?

Which character had the better debut short?

1. "Steamboat Willie" (1928)

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. "A Wild Hare" (1940)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. TheDaveMaybe

TheDaveMaybe Film buff, film critic, and aspiring filmmaker

The age-old question, which was the better debut cartoon short: Mickey Mouse's "Steamboat Willie" from 1928, or Bugs Bunny's "A Wild Hare" from 12 years later? Me personally, Bugs is the better character, but "Steamboat Willie" is a masterpiece, so I have to give it to "Steamboat".
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ZanyLogic5

ZanyLogic5 Active Member

I say both. To me, it personally doesn't matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cartman

Cartman Flute Player

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Both are great cartoons. They were made a little more than a decade apart. They were also made by two different studios. Disney focused more on personality and emotion in his cartoons whereas Warners was more on comedy. I would say for those reasons, both are great in their own ways.

4. Copaci

Copaci A Cartoon and Logos Fan

I like A Wild Hare more than Steamboat Willie because it has loads of comedy and hunting action and I even liked that scene where Elmer was crying when he thought he killed Bugs. That makes a very great Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoon. Regarding Steamboat Willie, I'm not into it that much, but I like that scene where Mickey Mouse whistles in the boat (it also appears on the current Walt Disney Animation Studios logo).

#4 Copaci, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017