1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Startrekman's Artwork

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by Startrekman700, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Startrekman700

Startrekman700 Active Member

You show a building that hasn't been severly deteriorated or hasn't had the foundation below it sink to such a degree that parts of the wall are sinking but keeping the concrete intact but cracking. The wall in my pic has the foundation sinking so badly that the top concrete is sinking.

oh and I have solved that anti-aliasing problem. I now use pencil instead od a brush for the lineart.

2. Startrekman700

[​IMG]

Hello, Alien Girl... Wakko and Yakko greet Niyax with their manner of greeting. Niyax is wearing a coat and pants with glowing neon strands.

[​IMG]

Pedro and Sariata flying some plane is being shot at by robot drones in a blinding snowstorm.

[​IMG]

Lisa in an exosuit fighting a giant rat ala Aliens and Avatar

and while we are on Avatar....

[​IMG]

yeah Jake Sully, you sure were doing an a..hem...exchange with Neytiri. The other characters from left to right.....Quatrich, Augustine, Trudy and Mo'at.

this drawing is based on what is called a "base" which is essentially a blank figure which is painted to represent a character.

this base is from....
    http://plushiegirl.deviantart.com/art/omg-base-98301546 (note: contains unclothed but not obscene blank characters)

All this is from my Deviantart site...the link is in my sig.

3. Startrekman700

Yo glitcher. I'd like to thank you, for setting me straight on my mistakes. I have corrected the oversights you have observed. Thoses were bad ones and not my best. Thank you a lots for giving me a kick in the behind. I am now currently in the process of correcting the flaws you mentioned.

4. Glitcher

Glitcher Lord of the Thundercats

After arguing intensely, now you're thanking me? Um... you're welcome. :p I guess I should apologize too for being so rude earlier. I often get carried away with my criticism. At least you're making efforts to improve. The grey stroke around the line art is pretty much gone, although for some reason it's still visible on the top half of Niyax, but not the bottom. What's up with that? The speech bubble is better defined, but still lacks an outline, and you shouldn't paint hair and cloth with a soft brush when the characters have hard outlines. It just makes it look like there are certain parts of their bodies that are out of focus. Speaking of lines, why is the line art in the last picture so pixelated? It wasn't like that in any of your earlier pics.

5. Startrekman700

that last one is a picture painted over top of a template. The template is called a "Doll" and is used in DeviantArt by artists to paint their own characters on top.

here is an example of one.

http://fav.me/d1mixyi

6. Startrekman700

for the top I again used a brush. For the bottom I used a pencil. It was stuupid of me.

7. Glitcher

That's even worse! The Pencil is not an anti-aliased tool, which explains why the lines at the bottom of Niyax look pixelated instead of messy. It's just substituting one problem for another. I told you before, you need to set your line art layer's blending mode to "Multiply" to avoid grey strokes appearing around your outlines. But wait, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Just how many layers do you use in the first place? Do you even know what they are? Judging by the way the cyan parts on Niyax spill over the lines, I'm guessing you paint everthing on a single layer. That's a big no-no in Photoshop. I recommend you go on YouTube and look for tutorials on how to draw and colour in Photoshop with layers before you proceed.

8. Startrekman700

It depends on what I am drawing. I on average use five layers.

The background which I use for lineart
    One for base color
    One for shadows
    one for highlights
    one for lighting.

other's when needed.

9. Startrekman700

What if I set my pencil on multiply

10. Glitcher

It wouldn't make any difference. The blending mode has nothing to do with anti-aliasing.

See, there's your problem right there. Your line art is on the Background layer, which means it's at the bottom of the layer stack when it should be on top! Convert your Background layer to a regular layer by double-clicking on its name (and calling it "Layer 1" for example), drag it to the top of the layer stack and change the blending mode to Multiply. Then you can paint with the Brush to your heart's content without worrying about grey strokes appearing. Sorted.

11. Startrekman700

I can do that. It's just common wisdom to have the lineart at the bottom so if you screw up. You can delete the layer.

Actually when i use pencil set at about 10 to 20 px. The grey lines don't appear.

12. Glitcher

Dude, it doesn't matter if you set your Pencil size to 1 or 100 pixels. It's not an anti-aliased tool! Any lines you draw with it will have pixelated edges. And what exactly is stopping you from deleting your line art if it's at the top of the layer stack?

13. Startrekman700

the fact that i am using Photoshop Elements 6.0 and it doesn't support the "put the background to the top.

14. Glitcher

You're contradicting yourself. When I said you should drag your line art to the top of the layer stack, you replied "I can do that." Now you're telling me "Photoshop Elements 6.0 doesn't support the 'put the background to the top.'" In any case, it would be best if you could find a way to procure Photoshop or, failing that, download Gimp.

15. Startrekman700

clarify: I should have said, "I will try that".

and it's kind of hard to "Procure" a new photoshop considering I am figuring out how to pay off my college debt again.

16. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

The funny thing is, even though your stuff is much better drawn than Startrekman's, it somehow manages to be even creepier. And that's creepier than Lisa Simpson getting it on with one of the Koopa kids, so it's no mean feat.

17. Glitcher

Creepy in what way?

18. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

It's creepy that someone who could draw so well would be a Lola Bunny fan.:D

That's my take on it...

19. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

If you can't see it, I don't know that I can explain it to you. But one features some character from Pokemon with glistening "stuff" that doesn't look like water on her body. One features unconscious Lola Bunny with electrodes in her head and a rapey disembodied arm coming up behind her. And one features Tiny Toons watching some kid sleep. The well-rendered, subtle squicky elements are somehow more disturbing than Startrekman's crude straightforward fetishistic insanity. You're very talented, but your stuff is weird.

20. Startrekman700

Two Romantic Pics

[​IMG]

One of my most popular deviations. Lisa Simpson and Lemmy Koopa have a romantic interlute in the moon light.

[​IMG]

Sonic and Sally being engaged, gets advice from people who know how marriage works...The Simpsons. Homer says something about cake...mmm... cake.