1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Startrekman's Artwork

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by Startrekman700, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Startrekman700

Startrekman700 Active Member

[​IMG]

The UFC fighting episode. I like it so much i drew a match. This time is Bully Koopa Vs. Nelson Muntz. Looks like Muntz is getting the best of Bully.

[​IMG]

The Animaniacs, Billy Koopa and Lisa Simpson are fighting some shapeshifters in a restaurant. Look at Wakko just splatter the shapeshifter in the seat.

[​IMG]

Some person or thing is trying to kill them by cutting the treehouse with a chainsaw.

2. Startrekman700

[​IMG]

Lisa beeps at a "Morbidly-Obese" man who stands there and looks at her for some reason unknown.

[​IMG]

Tails fly over Sonic who is running and carrying Sally.

3. Mist

Mist Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic

I like the angle you chose in the Sonic pictyure, however, the background needs work. Also Sonic is too small in that picture.

The lighting is perfect in the morbidly obese man picture.

4. Startrekman700

Actually, Tails is high up in the air flying over him. It's a looking down image.

I try to study night-time pictures to get the good if not perfect picture. Thanks for the comment.

5. Startrekman700

[​IMG]

Our heroes check on the "Romantic Couple" outside.

[​IMG]

Billy, Niyax and Bart coming to help Oogtar and Meltar who are being attacked by shapeshifters.

6. Startrekman700

[​IMG]

SURPRISE!! A giant bug ruins the date of Pedro and Sariata.

7. Mist

Mist Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic

Lisa dating one of the Koopa Kids? Wow. That's.. odd.

You need to make the text bigger so the viewer can read it.

8. Startrekman700

The text goes like this...

Billy: Well, Well, if it isn't the "Romantic Couple"

Pedro: Yeah

9. Good Ol' Batmanuel!

Good Ol' Batmanuel! Dressing for success?

The Morbidly Obese Man one made me laugh. So bizarre! (that's a good thing! ;))

10. Startrekman700

The "morbidly-obese" probably is staring at them wondering what are they. I mean you have a white...I mean yellow starfish haired girl, a anthropromorphic turtle, a white boy and a blue alien riding in a sports car. I mean wouldn't you be curious?

11. Startrekman700

[​IMG]

Billy, Bart and Cheatsy is using a table computer to plan a tackback of their neighborhood from mysterious forces. The computer is touch screen interface controlled. Think of the pool table in Engineering from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

[​IMG]

Bored, our heroes decide to drive around town. Bart is driving, Billy is winding up. Billy is going to attack an old nemesis, namely, Sideshow Bob. Lisa tells him to not hurt him.

12. Startrekman700

Haven't updated in a while so I decided to post more artwork..

[​IMG]

Sideshow Bob sics a Cyborg(Half-Beast, Half-Machine) T-Rex onto the Simpson's Kids who are driving a smart car.

[​IMG]

Bart, Milhouse and Billy are up in a tree with binoculars watching a girl's slumber party attended by Lisa, Allison and two college aged girls.

[​IMG]

After 10 years of going steady, after going through trials(Fighting Robotnik) and tribulations(Finding and getting back their parents) Sonic and Sally are tying the knot. They propose on a moonlit hill.

[​IMG]

Meet Pedro's New Friend, A Sentient Robot he ordered from the Internet. Him and his girlfriend Sariata are looking at it. The robot responds to them in spanish.

[​IMG]

Oogtar's little sister Meltar is driving down some road alone when she is attacked by a mysterious muscle car.

13. Glitcher

Glitcher Lord of the Thundercats

By the moons of Mongo, that's absolutely terrible! At first I thought this was just childish drawings from a seven-year old, but I was astounded to see your profile lists you as thirty. I mean, this reminds me of what my sister used to draw in grade school. There's no sense of proportion, structure, colour harmony or just plain quality. You have a severe anti-aliasing problem that leaves ugly white borders around your line art. The colouring is as flat as possible. There are a maximum of two (count 'em!) tones for any given surface. Even something as simple as the speech bubbles are totally uninspired, featuring no outline, comic font and text that's often too small to read. I also see plenty of staples of a bad artist, such as jarring pattern overlays, gratuitous use of the Lens Flare and Lighting filters, and vacuous backgrounds. You paint skies hilariously bad; if it's not an empty blue or black surface, there are tiny white pixels that look more like dust than stars. Plus, why are there only stars on half of the image with the Lens Flare? Why can't we see the road the cars are driving on? Why does a brick wall look like it's undulating like paper? Why do some speech bubbles feature fuzzy areas? What the hell is a "sluber party"? Why is the moon squashed in the giant insect picture? Why is there a motion blur on only half the T-Rex? And why does everyone look like flippin' roadkill?

For an adult, this is shameful. If you were a kid, I'd tell you to seek help from your art teacher fast, but I don't think that option is available to you any more. I'm afraid there's simply too much wrong here to salvage.

14. Startrekman700

skimming through this hilariously long and overtyped way of you saying "You can't draw". Let's disassemble this verbal trype.

I have to say thanks for pointing out the aliasing problem. I will endavor to improve it. Let me ask you. Did you're sister have a sense of structure, things relating to others or sense of distance or spacial orientation? Go back and look at them again.

How is using comic bubbles uninspiring. It's the STANDARD and has been for 100 years. Not everything is manga. Oh and let me explain about the pattern overlays. The truck is designed that way. It's made of light sheetrock. As for the skies, go out into the real world and look at the sky. Tell me that stars are overshiny and evenly placed.

First. because stars don't evenly shine like that, they have various brightness patterns. Second, this takes place in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE where there IS NO street-lights, no signs, no anything. It is only illuminated by the headlights. If you can go to a road in the middle of some sprawled out suburb or country.

Here a visual aid to illustrate...

[​IMG]

can you see the road ahead of the headlamps? Can you see the trees beyond the headlights?

Brick walls look like that in real life. I mean go and look at brick walls and you will see undulating and gritty patterns from years of wear and tear. Real life does not look like an anime book. "Sluber party" is my mistake which I will correct. As for the T-Rex, it's because ITS DROPPING onto the ground and it's happening at a moment. They don't, it's the style of the Simpsons. Not ever person in comic or cartoon-dom has to look like some glossy, oversexed, dolled up anime character.

I would suggest go look at the Simpsons. You could say that some of it looks like a child's drawing. The Simpsons are famous and partly because of it. It's not the style of the drawing that makes something good. It's the characters, the story and the background.

I would also suggest you look around in real life. It as I said before, does not look like some glossy, manufactured anime art. It has grit, uneveness and undulation.

15. Glitcher

I've got to say, I'm stunned by your repeated assumption that I'm some sort of anime artist. Where did you get that impression from? As far as I remember, I've made a few posts here in different styles. Still, if you're going to dissect my post, I might as well return the favour...

Uh... no. That's exactly my point.

As far as I remember, all speech bubbles have an outline. They're not just amorphous white blobs. You also need a proper comic font. Letteromatic is a personal favourite of mine.

Take another look yourself. See the difference? Also, although the surface texture of a bricks may be uneven, the wall is essentially straight:

[​IMG]

I think you just proved yourself wrong there. I can see the road perfectly in the light of the headlights, but in your drawing the yellow divider is only barely visible! Why aren't the headlights illuminating their surroundings? Moreover, your placement of the stars in this pic is illogical. The glow of the moon should be shining out any stars near it (for the same reason you can't see stars during the day). It would make more sense to have the stars more visible away from the moon.

Okay seriously, enough with the anime references. It would be like me calling you a Pokemon artist. And I know the T-Rex is dropping, what I mean is why is the motion blur only the back half? Is the front frozen in time?

What. The. Hell. If you're trying justify the simplicity of your style with a story, I don't see that either. This isn't a comic, they're individual pictures. What are the Koopas doing in Springfield? What have Sonic and co. got to do with this? Why are the Animaniacs there? What's the point of Pedro and those two kids? (I get the feeling there's no real answer here.)

#15 Glitcher, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
  16. Startrekman700

It is straight, the surface is uneven. This is an abandoned building. Same logic applies to the bricks. Oh and the sky. That's an evening sky. It's not totally dark yet.

[​IMG]

Look above the woman. Wall straight but surface uneven.

Which model of headlights do you use, what is the luminosity. In that particular pic, the headlights are particularly low. It's only illuminating what is below it. Most cars lights will not illuminate anything around it. This is unless you have those expensive and bright as hell headlights.

Why the hell should i justify this. It's my damn imagination. I can create the hell I please and for whatever I wish. This is the same as asking why in many debates would Star Trek be in the Star Wars Universe. It's because someone wishes. If someone want Star Trek to be in the Star Wars universe, then so be it. This is nothing real serious, it's a hobby. Maybe if you found one, you wouldn't be so bitter.

17. Startrekman700

[​IMG]

Marge Simpson has been abducted by aliens. They are doing scans on her for some unknown purpose.

18. Glitcher

Now you're just making excuses. Intact walls like the one the woman is standing on are perfectly straight. But if you're telling me it's supposed to be severely deteriorated, why is the outline of the building uneven too? Even abandonned buildings have straight lines (see below). No building is so damaged as to have windows slanted like that. Couldn't you have used a ruler to draw?

[​IMG]

You also seem to have a conflict of style. You claim to represent realism by displaying a minimal amount of stars, yet you draw in the thoroughly unrealistic style of the Simpsons, and that show had more vivid night skies than yours. Look at the image underneath. See the atmospheric presence of blue and purple, or the gradient in lighting from the top to the bottom of the sky, or how the moon and clouds complement the composition. It is not just a single flat colour peppered with white pixels.

[​IMG]

Uh... no it's not. That's what I've been trying to tell you. The road is so poorly lit, I didn't even notice it was there in the first place. I see the glare from the headlights, but the beams don't appear to connect with the roadway. I'm guessing that you initially had this image totally dark and counted on the Lens Flare to illuminate it. It doesn't work that way. The Lens Flare is a glare effect, not a lighting tool. You need to paint the headlight beams and ambient lighting yourself. Then you can add a Lens Flare if you think it will enhance the image.

Yeaaaaaaah... All those links to my artwork I posted earlier. That certainly doesn't count as a hobby. And I understand that crossovers are commonplace among fan artists, but you're misguided if you think insertions of random characters constitutes a story. I have a Gatchaman/Thundercats crossover comic sitting on my bookshelf, and that story explains how the characters met, establishes their personalities, explains their goals, etc. etc. I don't see any of that in your pics, so I repeat my questions: What are the Koopas doing in Springfield? What have Sonic and co. got to do with this? Why are the Animaniacs there? What's the point of Pedro and those two kids? What is everyone trying to do?

PS. It seems from your last image that you still haven't figured out how to eliminate those white borders around your lines. You need to copy the line art to a new layer in Photoshop and set the blending mode to Multiply, then colour on a blank layer underneath. Sorted.

#18 Glitcher, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  19. Startrekman700

Apples and Oranges dude! What the frak are you trying to prove. That is a concrete building. It is reinforced with steel beams. What we were trying to prove is whether brick walls can be straight yet have a surface uneven. That is NOT made of brick.

Show me the gradient. Because the artist here used brushes to color the bottom of the sky and not the gradient effect. I have used gradient effects but I alternate between gradient and painting the sky.

Why the frak do I have to justify why they are there? They are there because I want them to be. Why do people make Stargate/Star Trek crossovers despite the fact they are vastly different universes. Why make a Star Wars/Gundam crossover? Whats the story? What's the connection? Whats the goals? Why do it? Because it might be interesting. There doesn't need to be a comprehensive story. People can have crossovers if they please.

20. Glitcher

Picky, picky. Here's a picture of a straight brick building. Happy now?

[​IMG]

*sigh* Fine. I'll point out the gradient for you. As you can see, the Simpsons image doesn't rely on the glow from the moon or some Photoshop filter to provide a gradient. And whether you use the Gradient tool or Brush tool makes little difference. My point is that there's a stark variation in colour in the sky.

[​IMG]

Hypocrite.