1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting to get annoyed re:Smallville tv show....

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by DR.MID-NITE, May 31, 2001.

1. DR.MID-NITE

DR.MID-NITE The Original

I know it is early and I havn't seen it yet. But, I am starting to get annoyed with the new Superboy show "Smallville". Already both the actors who play Clark Kent & Lex Luther are glad that you won't see Superboy in a costume. The actor playing Clark said to the effect. If I had to wear the costume. I might not have done the show for fear of being typecast. I am not upset about that. What I am upset about is that the show seems to want to stray away from the Superhero aspect. They would rather make it like Dawson's Creek. But, I guess they figure the demographics would bring in better ratings. I just don't have to like it.
    In the end I will watch it and hopefully I will be wrong and it will be a good show.

2. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

This doesn't bode well with me, either. Sounds like just another teen drama, different setting. Using Clark Kent and Smallville doesn't mean much if they aren't going to have him being Superboy. Of course, it could surprise us, as they did with Roswell. Who knows. I will watch it too, just to see what it's like, but if I don't care for the first two or three episodes, I am bailing.

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

On ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT they had a story on it and the kid who plays Clark said he's never read a comic in his life and didn't do research for the role, so he could make the role "fresh". The show just isn't looking that good....

4. Flying Grayson

Flying Grayson Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet

What show are we talking about.

5. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

SMALLVILLE will be an hour long live action drama that will air Tuesdays at 9pm on TheWB.

6. Flying Grayson

Will Superboy use his powers?

7. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

After reading the show's description at the wb site, i'm think the show will not be worth watching. did anyone else read it? its like 4 paragraphs and they basically write about it like it's a soap opera. it will probably turn out to be another teen show and stuff. And it doesn't sound like its staying faithful to the comics, i mean i'm no expert on superman comics, but since when did a young clark kent work for a young lex luthor? And it also says that clark is 14. Um, i dont know about you, but i think the actor playing him looks like he's in his 20s. whats up with that. I really hate how tv shows always cast people in their 20s or late teens to play young teenagers. its just stupid. and i remember when i was like 14 and 15, i thought there was something wrong w/ me cause all the people on tv who were supose to be my age looked way older and shaved and all that. geez, the show just looks all screwed up. peace!!!

8. Joker85

Joker85 Clown Prince

In my opinion, Smallvill will turn out like Dawsons Creek in the long run. I heard that they even made Clark and Lex friends?? The show probably won't last long.

9. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

That is just plain suicide. The show is doomed, and that clinches it. Lines like that always do. Oh if I could just have five minutes alone with those morons...

10. Flying Grayson

IF you get a hold of them for 5 minutes, May I join you?

11. Beyond Batman

Beyond Batman The Tomorrow Knight

Can you guys help me find info on Smallville?

I can't seem to find it on WB's site. Could someone help me out? Thanks for your help.

-Beyond Batman

12. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

after reading all about it..I thought it'd be cool..
    How wrong I was. After reading what you guys had to say, I realize..it's just Dawson's Creek, and Pacey (or whatever his name is) is Clark, and that other chick is the other chick (see how interested in this I am???). I might watch the series premiere, but if it's a..

"Life is so hard...I just wanna make out"
    "Oh Clark..that's ok..we can make out!"

Type of show, then I'm turning off the TV and cranking up Metallica..

-BB

13. Flying Grayson

Truer words were never spoken.
    I usually give new shows the benifit of the doubt before I watch them.
    It's against my better judgement, but I'll watch it to see if it is okay.

14. optimal321

optimal321 The Manhunter from Mars

Yeah, who knows? It may turn out to be a great show for all us fan-boys as well as the teen-angst demographic they are going for. I never thought i could write such a sentence. Well, i just hope it'll be a good show.

15. Flying Grayson

We all hope it will be good, but we all have the fear of what it could become.

The hoarer... the hoarer

16. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

[color=6666cc] its deifnitley going to be a teen angst show....i'm thinking live action version of x-men: evolution with superman.[/color]

17. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Are any superhero action sequences planned??

18. Joker85

Joker85 Clown Prince

In an interview, the actor that is playing Clark kent said he would not where the costume and that the show wasn't going for the superhero aspect.

19. Vin

Vin DVDtoons.com

Crash and burn

I'm disappointed to hear that the lead actor would say that he hadn't even researched the part. Yeah, that's a way to attract Superman fans...I hope this show isn't Dawson's Creek-esque crap, otherwise I'm flipping the station. Hmm....Roswell will be on UPN on the same day and time as Smallville. Interesting...Maybe Fox's 24 will be cool.

20. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Of course. No question. But first we talk. We don't want them thinking "oh all Superman/Batman fans or what have you are all violent" and they'd start something from that. Plus we don't know for sure the show will be a dumb soap opera. There's always pot luck, right....? Nevermind. Go get your woopin stick.

LOL!!!!! Those are my thoughts, sentiments, and actions exactly to the letter, right down to cranking pu Metallica!!

Oh, and before now I haven't gotten a chance to express my love for your avatar BB. It's awesome!!