1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Wars Rebels" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Ed Liu, Oct 8, 2014.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

A lot of table setting this season. For all of Thrawn's manipulation, he didn't really break down that many barriers.

2. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

Hopefully you're right, and this season was mainly "table setting." That would mean only good things are to come in season 4.

3. TheVileOne

Reporter

We'll see.

4. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been wondering what happened to Gregor and Wolffe since Rex joined the Rebels, so it'll be good to have them back :).

Rex looks weird in green :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TheVileOne

Reporter

One of them should've been executed for selling out the Ghost crew to the Imperials.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

8. TheVileOne

Reporter

It makes sense that season 4 will be the last one. Considering the first season was set five years before A New Hope, that gave them a limited time frame they could cover before getting to that point. I'm glad they aren't going to run it too long like with Clone Wars. This season seems like an appropriate one to end it on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I expected this season to be the last, but that doesn't make it any less sad. I find it interesting that it's going to be 15 episodes like season one. Some people have complained about seasons 2 and 3 being filled with too many side stories (among other complaints :rolleyes:). Hopefully this season will be tighter like the first one.

I really like Hera describing the team, as if it were in retrospective where she's the only survivor. Of course, we know Chopper is still around so it remains to be seen how it all works out with the others, especially Kanan and Ezra. At least loose ends with the Mandalorians, Thrawn, the clones, and Ahsoka can be dealt with in a satisfying way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheVileOne

Reporter

I'm fine with a shorter season. I thought Season 2 was good because it opened up the backstories for the other characters besides Kanan and Ezra. Season 3's problem was that it was a lot of filler and table setting and a finish that was rather anti-climactic.

Really you get the sense that all the character arcs are coming full circle and the show is reaching its natural conclusion. Just for example, Zeb was able to find a new home for his people. Sabine was able to return to her family and free them from the grip of Imperial oppression. Kallus went from an Imperial hardliner to a Rebel defector. Hera mended fences with her father and became a part of something bigger with the Rebel Alliance, and she helped kickstart the Rebellion. Kanan and Ezra are about that point too with their relationship.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Hmm... I think both season 2 and 3's side stories (my replacement word for filler in this show's case) got in the way of the show's flow and alienated some viewers. I like that season 2 expanded on Hera, Zeb and Sabine. My biggest issue with the season was that the main story with Vader/Kallus/the Inquisitors always seemed to be sidelined when they started making progress. Of course, I still really enjoyed season two, but if I had to nitpick, that would be my complaint.

In season 3, I think they did a better job of keeping the main stories with Thrawn/the Empire or Maul up front and center. There's only 5 of the 22 that I could see people call 'filler'. I just think a lot of people are still burned by The Clone Wars' early ending and expect this show to be similar in quality, but this show is aimed a bit younger. At the same time, the Ghosts of Geonosis two-parter reminded me of The Clone Wars with its multi-episode storytelling and more dire plot.

I do admit Thrawn's plan was a little too slow for my tastes (even though it was supposed to be slow). At the same time, the season ended pretty well (more or less) and started even better with a very strong line-up for the first four or five episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm curious if Filoni and co. are going into this final season with plans for the next CG Star Wars cartoon...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised, and hopefully they bring some of that production up here...totally for selfish reasons :D

I'm okay with Rebels ending with season 4, and with a shorter season? I'm cool with that, Season 2 for me was the strongest but season 3 it did seem, as has been mentioned already, like it was a lot of set up but too many moving pieces that didn't all come together perfectly. So I'm looking forward to the final season...though it opens up with more Mandalore nonsense and it's a two parter?!....ugh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TheVileOne

Reporter

If there is a new show in the works, I'd like one with a different art and design style.

15. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Dave Filoni confirmed to IGN's Eric Goldman that Rebels season four will be serialized than the other seasons which is great news to me. This is what I've wanted for a while. The premiere is supposedly a bit darker than usual with the Mandalorian storyline.
    You might not like it, but the Mandalore story definitely has its fans. I hope that doesn't take away any enjoyment of the season for you.

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nah, it hasn't ruined the show me for, just something I'll deal with. It can't just be dropped without resolution, so it's not like I didn't see it coming, and I suppose I'd rather they deal with it earlier than later.

Rewatching the trailer, and seeing new areas like Yavin, it's cool to see how many planets we've gotten to see since season 1, where it was almost all just Lothal.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I love me some serialized storytelling, though I'm curious if the more serialized feel of Rebels this season will lend to it the kind of strong, consistent, quality of some of the best arcs in Clone Wars :cool:?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

19. TheVileOne

Reporter

It makes no sense for Star Wars to re-adapt battles in animation.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter