1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Wars Rebels" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Ed Liu, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Thrawn training with those assassin droids was a nice demonstration that he's got excellent fighting skills to match his tactical prowess, fitting given Pryce isn't so different and they're so often paired together. Though I wonder if Thrawn's abilities would allow him to go toe-to-toe with a Jedi o_O?

It was definitely neat seeing all the Imperial commanders together for one episode, even if we never got to see them really interact with one another. But it was nice to see them and go "hey, it's that guy! And that other guy!" :p.

It was cool seeing Yularen again after all these years, and obviously visibly aged from when we last saw him in Clone Wars, with Tom Kane reprising the role. Though it was also kind of jarring to go from having watched him as a good guy, and Anakin's buddy, in the old series to another top lieutenant in the Empire here, even if he didn't do anything particularly villainous in the episode :ack:.

Yularen having trained Kallus was a nice touch. I wonder if Yularen is going to stick around for us to see the full fallout of that now that he knows his star pupil is a Rebel spy :eek:?

It would've been nice if Ezra could have made off with Hera's Kalikori :(...

Pryce just immediately going in for the kill when Kanan tried the Jedi Mind Trick on her was actually kind of funny :anime:.

I actually do kinda feel bad for Lyste. He's always been so enthusiastic about his loyalty and doing his job, as well as being respectful to his superiors, and he always gets played the fool. Even Kallus seemed to feel kind of bad for him as he set-up the frame-job for Lyste being Fulcrum :sad:.

I figured Thrawn would see-through Kallus' ploy to frame Lyste as Fulcrum, and reveal that he'd known it was Kallus the entire time. I wouldn't even be surprised to know if he had his star chart memorized, so he can easily tell what Chopper altered and then ascertain the Rebel's base. Thrawn's been playing the long-game since his debut, and it looks like it's all about to come to fruition :evil:.

I feel like they've both been kind of shortchanged this season, though Zeb moreso then Hera since she at least gets a few more meaningful moments every now and then :shrug:.

2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Yeah, it's odd to see him as a 'bad guy' but he does join the Empire at some point.
    I was expecting Thrawn to know by now. His role has been a bit slow throughout the season, but I understand that he wouldn't be as quick to act as other members of the Empire have been. And Thrawn probably did memorize the star chart which will guarantee he knows where their base is.
    Same here and they are my favorite characters (alongside Chopper and Kanan). Zeb continues to get the short end of the stick and it's sad to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GrantM

GrantM Active Member

I'm starting to think I should finally get around to watching The Clone Wars with all these characters from it showing up (all I've seen on TCW is the episodes that have been reviewed by SF Debris)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Oh man. You should really get on with that. It's a simply fantastic show with so much to watch that elevates the prequel trilogy and adds a lot of value to Star Wars as a whole with new characters like Ahsoka and Rex, plus better defined takes on characters like Anakin and Maul.

If you have Netflix, you'll have a very limited chance to watch all six seasons since it's leaving on March 7th. Otherwise, the Blu-rays are more than recommended for their excellent bonus features.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GrantM

GrantM Active Member

I don't think it's on the UK Netflix, plus as far as I'm aware season 6 never got a DVD/BD release in the UK

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

StarWars.com confirmed that further details about season four will be revealed at Star Wars Celebration 2017. Either way, I expected another season (plus there were some not-so-subtle hints from Kanan voice actor Freddie Prinze Jr) but this is great either way.

I think season four could very well be the finale of the series if they stop before the events of Rogue One are close to beginning. There's more that can be done for showing how the Rebellion formed the way we see them in Rogue One and A New Hope. This week's episode of Rebels did just that!

Secret Cargo was an interesting episode for many reasons. It was great to see Mon Mothma with Genevieve O'Reilly returning to voice her from Rogue One. I thought the beginning of the episode was notably a bit darker and more serious than usual. The droid searching for the heroes (or so they thought) adding some urgency to the story as they decided to figure out how to deal with this situation.

I liked seeing Zeb and Hera again, since they've been missing for awhile. I do hope we get to see the team as a whole without Sabine or it will feel like she just missed a couple episodes like the aforementioned Zeb and Hera. Sabine's absence should be more noticeable so when she returns it will have a bigger impact.

This episode truly felt like a connection to the Rebellion we see in Rogue One and the original trilogy. Seeing characters like Jan Dodonna, Jon Vander, Gold Squadron, etc. plus other characters from the show like Bail Organa and Ryder Azadi was a real treat.

Mon Mothma's boldness in addressing the Emperor head on and calling on all the rebels to join her in standing up to the Empire was a important moment for not only the Rebellion, but the character as a whole. Her conversation with Hera were very poignant and revealing as well.

MakingStarWars.net has a nice piece on the importance of this episode to the greater Rebellion and the character of Mon Mothma including this comment.

In the immediate future, things are setting up for season four of Star Wars Rebels to be heavily focused on the earliest days of the actual Rebellion and provide a strong conclusion to the series.

That's pretty lame. I'm sorry about that. I wish they would actually give fans the same opportunities to view and enjoy content around the world.

• Like Like x 1
    #207 Greg91, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  8. beyond94

beyond94 Member

If Dave Filoni does decide to bring Mara Jade into season 4 of Star Wars Rebels which I'm sure there will be, He could change his mind and does decide to bring her into the saga the way he surprised the world by bring the other well loved character Thrawn from non canon and part of the fold I can't see any reason why the can't put Mara Jade into the same position. If she ever does come to life next year I'd like if they can get Scarlett Johansson to voice her. After all they got James Earl Jones to reprise his Vader role in several episodes and Clone Wars used Jon Faverau as Pre Visula in their show with Liam Neeson reprising his Qui Gon Jinn role so I think it would have a lot of fans including myself very happy especially for one like myself who doesn't read much of the novels but is very aware of the character to have such a female confident villain as part of the Rebels saga. I hope it can be done someway

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I think Scarlett is a little too high profile for Mara Jade if they would want her to be a semi re-occurring character.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #209 TheVileOne, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  10. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Twin Suns was a strong episode of Star Wars Rebels. While the episode had too much hype around it in my opinion, I wasn't disappointed despite its' shortcomings. I'm going to be spoiler-free and save anything major points for a spoiler tag. I felt the set-up for this episode was a little too long with the runtime at only 22 minutes. I was satisfied by the scene between Obi-Wan and Maul, the ending, and Ezra's reaction to the whole situation.

And we finally got an episode with Kanan, Zeb, Hera, Chopper and Ezra after Sabine left, plus they all had lines! I was really waiting for that and I wasn't sure if Zeb would appear in this one, but he did. :D

The previous episode, Double Agent Droid, was a little weird to me. It was nice to see Wedge again, but Kanan was once again missing and the AP-5/Chopper arguing was getting a bit old. It definitely made AP-5 seem pretty annoying even though I actually really like him. The first half was pretty slow but the second half of the episode become pretty intense. Especially when the heroes were almost thrown out of the Ghost. I was glad to see Hera take care of the Controller and the Empire's technicians.

I'm hoping the season finale is strong and maybe old friends like Ketsu Onyo, Saw Gerrera and the Iron Squadron return. I don't expect every old friend to come back like Lando, Hondo, or Wolffe and Gregor but perhaps we'll be surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The more I watch it, the more I really loved how they did the Obi Wan/ Maul fight. Brief but powerful, really nice, strong posing. And old man Obi Wan is always fun to see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's an interesting point, regarding believing Obi-Wan was dead, that you would've expected him, being a surviving Jedi, would've been opposing the Sith and the Empire more openly and actively help the Rebels. But obviously no one else had any way of knowing about how important his true mission was and why he couldn't expose himself :eek:.

I guess it wouldn't be an adventure on Tatooine without an attack by those pesky Tusken Raiders...

It was awesome finally seeing old Obi-Wan in the flesh, still as wise and as unflappable as ever. It was definitely fun seeing him bounce off Ezra, and give him a few wise words before sending him back to the Rebels, though there was also some of that patented Kenobi misdirection as he convinced Ezra the key to defeating the Sith was all misdirection on Maul's part (even though it really does exist on Tattoine) :rolleyes2:.

I'm surprised they didn't keep James Arnold Taylor for the older Obi-Wan, since I'm sure he could've pulled it off, but Stephen Stanton did a great job all the same ;).

A part of me wishes the final duel between Obi-Wan and Maul had gone on longer, especially considering I was so hyped for it, but another part of me feels like the brevity and cleanness of it was a fitting, maybe even cathartci, way of putting their longstanding rivalry (dating all the way back to Episode 1) to rest. It's an interesting contrast with Ahsoka and Vader's duel in the season 2 finale :cool:.

It's almost hard to believe, given what he's done, but you do kind a feel bad for Maul at the end there. More then ever before, after all the suffering and pain he's endured, you could see just how driven he was to find peace in killing Obi-Wan (or in Kenobi killing him) and how that had wore on him to the point where he was obviously not even in Obi-Wan's league by their final fight (both mentally and physically) :ack:.

He seemed so at peace in the end, cradled by his nemesis, and with the knowledge that the Chosen One would be able to make things right and get justice for all those the Sith wronged. Which I guess just goes to show just how screwed up Maul was in the end that the knowledge of the Chosen One could give him peace of mind. I'm not sure if it's the fate Maul deserved, but it's certainly enough to put him to rest after all these long, hard, years :crying:.

And I guess it just goes to show the difference between Ben and Maul. Even after all these years, after everything Maul had done, Obi-Wan still didn't hate him as much as Maul hated Kenobi. Even in the end it seemed like he genuinely pitied his old rival, and wanted to give him some peace before he died :(.

I knew they wouldn't be able to resit teasing a young Luke in this episode. And lo and behold he pops up alongside a variant of Luke's theme :D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TheVileOne

Reporter

The episode felt a bit anti-climactic to me since it's been building to this moment basically since season two. I like the idea that Obi-Wan had some respect for Maul and freed him from his anger and rage, and Maul did not seem to hate him anymore before he died.

I guess my issue is the episode sort of feels like fan fiction to me because even if older Obi-Wan is that good of a fighter, he should've put up a better fight against Darth Vader.

I liked the ending moment, but it almost looked like Luke was a little kid even though it was a far away shot. Basically, Luke is the same age as Leia at this point. He should be about 17-ish at this point.

I sort of just feel like this episode should've run longer or been a two-parter. Ezra and Maul hardly interacted at all here and they've been connected since Maul was brought back on Rebels. Other than that, it was a decent episode.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Zero Hour was a pretty impressive finale. The animation was, once again, spectacular. The stakes were real and the enemy was powerful. It truly felt like one of the darkest episodes of Rebels, though perhaps not as dark as Twilight of the Apprentice.

One of the writers for the show, Steven Melching, teased Season Four on Twitter. Speaking of season four, I'm guess Bo-Katan will return in that season and Katee Sackhoff revealed her role in Rebels too soon. Other characters I'd like to see return include Ketsu Onyo, Saw Gerrera, and Cham Syndulla. It would be great to see Cassian Andor or Rae Sloane show up too. I wouldn't mind see Zare Leonis or Jai Kell return either.

Looking back at season three, I think it had a great start with a strong premiere, followed by really strong episodes focused on Maul, Sabine and Hera. After that, it started to focus on side-stories a bit too much. Season one's shorter length helped it stay on track with the main story. The episodes before and after the winter break kick started the bigger stories for Rebels again, which was great.

Overall, I think this season was a bit stronger than season two (which was really good), because it focused on the two main plots (Thrawn and Maul) more often than it didn't. However, it still needs to focus a bit more on the overarching plot, make sure characters like Hera and Zeb still receive as much attention as Kanan or Ezra, and keep increasing the stakes. I love Star Wars Rebels and I'm glad this season ended well.

• Like Like x 2
  15. TheVileOne

Reporter

Overall a decent finale but not as good as season 1 or season 2's. I'd say it almost felt a little bit more like a penultimate episode or a winter finale than a midseason one.

Honestly, I was a little surprised more characters didn't kick the bucket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

IGN has a lengthy interview with Dave Filoni on season three as a whole and the finale.

Kallus, Maul and many others are mentioned. This is similar to how IGN's Eric Goldman interviewed Dave Filoni following season two's finale as well as the finale for season one. I always like all the details these interviews provide. They would be awesome as a video interview or various commentaries on the Blu-rays.

#216 Greg91, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was definitely a good and solid finale, though comparing it to the season 1 and 2 finale, I feel like it may not have been as epic or as thrilling. Not that the grand galactic battle between the Empire and the Rebels wasn't exciting, but there was something about the tense and personal conflicts and final duels in past finales that I felt was lacking here, as well as a real climactic feel. Still enjoyed it overall :cool:.

Kallus' identity as Fulcrum was always going to be found out eventually, though Thrawn playing him like that was pretty tough to watch, especially afterwards when he beat the tar out of Kallus :eek:.

It was cool seeing General Dodonna and his fleet turn up here, especially with Dodonna voiced by legendary animation VA Michael Bell ;).

I liked the personal moments between Hera and Kanan in this finale. Just kiss already you two :rolleyes2:.

Commander Sato's sacrifice was sad to see, but with the kind of character and person he was, it was fitting to see him go out in an honorable fashion and take Constantine down with him. Now I'm just imagining his nephew's reaction to his death :crying:.

Thrawn had the Rebels completely overpowered and outmatched in this episode, his plans and manipulations across the entire season coming together to put the Rebels into check. If it weren't for the incompetence of his own staff, Bendu, and Ezra's efforts, Thrawn probably would've won. I'm almost kind of glad Thrawne survived the finale so he we can see him continue to plague the Rebels and the Ghost crew in season 4, and better showcase him as a strong and compelling villain :evil:.

It was a pretty dramatic change seeing Bendu being so angry and intense in this episode, especially when he'd been so affable and ambivalent in the past, but I guess even beings of the Force have their limits. Though Kanan calling him out on his passivity in the conflict did end up having it's benefits, his force storm providing ample distraction for the Rebels to escape the Empire, even if it also led to Bendu getting attacked and put near-death. Though now it appears he's seemingly become one with the Force, leaving me to wonder if we'll ever see him again or get a better understanding of him o_O?

I wonder how accurate Bendu's prediction about Thrawn's fate will end up being...

Sabine came back a lot earlier then I expected. I mean, it makes sense she would come around when she realized her other family and the Rebels were in dire straits, but I was expecting we wouldn't see her again this season. Still, it was nice to see the family again, however briefly :).

And with Sabine proclaiming at the end that she was going back to Mandalore, I'm guessing we won't see her again until Rebels decides to go more in-depth in to the Civil War going on and the efforts of Clan Wren against the Mandalorians loyal to the Empire :ack:.

It's going to be interesting seeing Kallus adjust to being among the Rebels and integrating with our main cast, especially given their history. I'm sure they'll be accepting of him given all he's done and gone through for them, but there'll probably be some rough adjustment needed on both sides.

It wouldn't be a Rebels finale without some heartwarming moments between Ezra and Kanan :anime:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Binge-watched about the entire back-third of the season in short order, starting from around "Double Agent Droid." I liked it all, though I have to admit that this entire season has left me a little but underwhelmed. There were definitely moments of power (resolving Sabine and the Mandalorians, Obi-Wan vs. Maul, and that finale), but overall it almost felt like there was so much activity on the chessboard that the emotional connection to the characters got a little bit lost. Or something. Still working out how I feel about the season overall.

Only other random bit I have at the moment is that I loved the Obi-Wan/Maul duel for managing to quote both the Phantom Menace (on "Rebels Recon," either Dave Filoni or Pablo Hidalgo notes that Maul tries to use the same move that he used to kill Qui-Gonn Jinn) and Seven Samurai (where an early duel between 2 samurai is just a minute of anticipation and tension that leads to an explosive and extremely short duel where there's just that brief pause before the one who lost falls). I know a lot of people were upset at how short the duel was, but I thought it was terrific.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TheVileOne

Reporter

I agree with Ed Liu. It seemed like not enough really happened there. I think there was a lot building toward a Rebel strike on Lothal, and it never really materialized. That felt like where this season was going with all the chess board movements, but we never really got there.

20. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

I missed a sizable amount of this season, and I can't bring myself to go back and watch them. I'm not proud of this at all seeing how cartoons that handle serious action and adventure are far and few in between. It is just that I don't really see any point in going back, I don't feel like I missed much for some reason. At least it had a strong ending, but that was a given (even if I feel it was a bit weaker than the last two).