1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Wars Rebels" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Ed Liu, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This is the series talkback for Star Wars Rebels. If traffic looks heavy enough, we'll shift to episode-level talkback threads.

Starting it up now because the next new episode is available now via the Disney XD app and available for free on iTunes (presumably for a limited time).

Starting up a new post when an episode is available is not the exclusive domain of the mods, either. Feel free to start one when you want. I may try to get a better talkback graphic prepped, though that's almost certainly going to hit well after New York Comic Con this weekend.

[​IMG]

Episode 104: "Droids in Distress"
    Written by: Greg Weisman
    Directed by: Steward Lee
    Plot Synopsis: The rebels intercept a shipment of weapons intended for the Empire and accidentally end up hosting a pair of droids.

2. Ed Liu

Watched this last night on the DisneyXD app. I thought it was a good episode, although it made Agent Kallus seem shallower (vs. the more textured, less mustache-twirling bad guy depiction he got in the premiere). However, I do really like the family dynamics between the crew, like the way Kanan and Hera bicker with each other while Zeb and Sabine act like unruly children. And, along those lines, I like how Kanan and Hera don't have an edge of attraction to their bickering, and I liked that this episode dropped the seeming crush that Ezra seemed to have on Sabine. Not that I'm against romantic entanglements in my action shows, but I like that it's not the default here. Kanan and Hera are friends who happen to be of opposite genders.

I'm having really mixed feelings about throwing in C-3PO and R2-D2 so soon. It reinforces my gripe from the pilot that it's heavily inviting comparison to the original trilogy, which almost guarantees it'll be found wanting. On the other hand, the ending scene (which tosses in a familiar looking starship and another cameo from a familiar face that's even with the same VO actor as they've used in the past) makes it clear that their presence is another link in the chain that's going to tie this series to be a true prequel to the original movie (as opposed to what I found they did in The Clone Wars, where the cameo was just a fanwank that screwed up continuity more often than not). I also thought C-3PO looked a little funny -- too skinny and with his off-color leg being a lot more prominent than I ever remember it being in the original movies.

Plus, getting them in now meant we also got to see R2-D2 and Chopper interacting and getting on each other's nerves, which was a big plus. I maintain that R2-D2 is the real hero of the Star Wars movies in the same way that Samwise Gamgee is the real hero of the Lord of the Rings saga. Chopper is awesome.

3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

R2 never had his memory wiped so yeah.

4. trance2009

The animation seems a lot more fluid in this one. Watching the rerun now.

5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

The duel between Kallus and Zeb was the highlight of the episode, probably the best lightsaber(ish) fight I've seen in years. I was also happy to delve a little more into Zeb's backstory. Hopefully, we'll get a more nuanced take on Kallus next time around thought.

Threepio's whiny uselessness was dialed up to eleven and while Artoo was as spunky as ever, I think he kinda pushed Chopper into the background during the second half of the episode.

6. trance2009

Zeb and Ezra are basically Johnny and the Thing.

7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Yeah, I was wondering who they reminded me of, you really hit the nail on the head!

Another solid installment, though I kinda wished they'd let Zeb and Ezra's beef simmer a little more before indulging it fully.

The TIE Fighter scenes were superb. They really got to play around with the craft in a way they never could in the films. I'm also enjoying how they're developing Ezra's Force powers. Having him develop new abilities like this could easily fall into sloppy writing, but the show makes a point of demonstrating just how haphazard his use of the Force is.

The plot's pretty low stakes this time around, but the risk of being captured is still present, which adds a needed dimension to the heroism. I only hope the Ghost can get off Lothal for a bit.

I'm pretty much reconciled to the Empire being pure evil in this show. I expected them to be more clever and nuanced (as is befitting villains in a Weisman show), but maybe that will change when the Inquisitor appears. At the very least, the Imperials should consider investing in voice recognition software.

I was hoping that Sabine's project would be more abstract and complex, ah well...

8. Ed Liu

Missed the airing (and a bit of the talkback) but:

Episode 105: “Fighter Flight”
    Directed by:
    Steven G. Lee
    Written by: Greg Weisman
    Plot Synopsis: While on a simple errand, Ezra and Zeb steal an Imperial vehicle.

9. Ed Liu

I think this is the first episode of the series that really felt like it was its own thing, and at least part of the reason why is that it didn't seem to be inviting comparison to the original movies quite as much. They never did something like this and I'm not really thinking of any characters in the original trilogy who had the kind of relationship that Zeb and Ezra have. The episode felt a little lightweight, but it was fun and enjoyable enough, and did a nice job in building character and tossing in a few more bits in Ezra's Jedi training.

I am wondering if anyone else felt like something got dropped at the end, though. The part where Ezra and Zeb look sheepish and give an explanation about what they did with the TIE seemed like they were covering up something. I was expecting a last-minute scene where the Empire finds the TIE and then something fun and exciting/surprising happens (an explosion of that fruit they stole, gum on the seat, something...). For that matter, I'm surprised Hera wasn't more upset that they came back without any of the supplies but with the one thing she didn't actually care about. I guess concern over Ezra and Zeb getting captured/killed might have outweighed that, but it still seemed a bit odd that she just let it drop so fast.

10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Yeah, I thought they were up to something with the TIE Fighter, but then the episode just sorta ended. This might be referenced later on, at least I hope there's more to this than just a dropped plot point.

11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Hera wasn't more upset because she knew they were in danger and she's happy they were OK. Also, the supply run was just a minor excuse to get them off the ship and maybe give them an opportunity to bond. Her "boys" are now closer and have bonded. That's a greater reward than meaningless supplies. And hey they got the fruit she asked for as an added bonus.

12. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I really, really liked this episode and a lot of it has to do with Kanan being a subversion of the traditional Jedi Master. He spends a good deal of the episode demonstrating Force powers (Mind tricks, telekinesis, etc.), but he doesn't really seem to get the philosophy behind his own order. They even managed to parody "training hell" by showing just how dangerous these kind of scenarios can be in the wrong hands.

The Inquisitor's a little bland (like most of the villains...), but they did make him a convincing threat and gave him a moment that clarified just overwhelmed Kanan really is. His trap was pretty morbid as well.

The prison break and lightsaber battles were excellent. The little details with Zeb and Sabine working in the background were a nice touch.

Zeb and Chopper were the only two serious issues. Zeb being so insensitive after last episode seems kinda odd even if his skepticism has been established, but Chopper is starting to become a problem. He really needs an episode to himself, "Droids in Distress" was more about the guest stars, to at least address this and explain his issues.

14. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

#14 ABrown, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Yeah, she would have. But she's dead now and Kanan's the only option on the table. I doubt Kanan knows where Yoda is (though I wouldn't rule out seeing him somewhere down the line) and well, the conflict is driven more by miscommunication on Kanan's part. He didn't realize how attached the boy had become in the short time that they had been together.

16. TheVileOne

Reporter

Watching some of the recent episodes, I think the reason I'm enjoying Rebels so much was something that I was thinking about but wasn't able to nail down yet. The new show has this more fun, swash-buckling sense of adventure that I thought Clone Wars was missing. These earlier episodes have a more rousing sense of adventure that I believe the original trilogy shares.

There is something more familiar about the show too. It seems more special now that we have all the iconic Stormtrooper imagery filling the series, and the more classic Imperial army.

Listen, I'm not saying Clone Wars was a bad show. But it all was borne from the far inferior prequel trilogy. Not that I will completely bag on the prequels. There are parts of them I like, but now that we are in Rebels it's like, "OK we are back into classic Star Wars again."

Also the prequel series was all set during the Clone Wars, so it had this whole sort of war-time serial thing. It was the New Republic vs. the Separatists. But in a way it was the New Republic serving as an instrument of its own destruction, so it was harder to invest in that story. Again with Rebels, it's the rebellion against the Imperials like the original trilogy, so I just like digesting that better.

17. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I do like that this show has the charm and energy of the Original Trilogy, which is definitely a huge plus that I felt Clone Wars was lacking, IMHO. While I'm not a huge fan, I am surprisingly liking what I am seeing here, without saying too much of some of the episodes I have caught.

18. trance2009

You notice Hera's face seems to be more detailed than everyone else's animation wise? It kinda stands out to me.

19. TheVileOne

Reporter

Hera does seem to get the most diverse amount of facial expressions for the series.

One thing about the episode, did it look like Kanan's eye look like it was going in another direction at one point? Like he had a case of lazy eye or something for a moment.

20. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I've said it once and I'll say it again... the show's visuals are poor. Really poor.

Those light sabers in the last episode? What was that? They were thin as a noodle or a pin.

And the lighting in the last episode? Terrible as well.

I thought those Wookies in EP1 were the worst, but this easily tops it.

I almost feel like writing Disney and George Lucas how terribly this show looks.