1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

"Star Wars: Rebels" Animated Series News and Updates Thread (NO SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by James Harvey, May 20, 2013.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The Hollywood Reporter states Greg Weisman will be executive producer, along with Dave Filoni, on the upcoming Star Wars Rebels animated series, coming 2014 to Disney XD. The article continues:

2. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

This is great news for Star Wars fans including myself

3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

What should be included on the Weisman-series Bingo board for this show?

• Star Trek voice actors in guest roles
    • Shakespeare!
    • Time travel of some sort
    • Good guys turning bad/bad guys turning good
    • Cancelled before the plot can conclude

4. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

they got me at Greg Weisman

still, we all know this will fall victim to the
    Weisman curse

5. ChildHood90s

ChildHood90s Loves his coffee

This is a fantastic way to eclipse the Clone Wars series on CN. :p

In a way, I bet Disney wanted to have a series like Clone Wars, but didn't want the Warner-produced series itself. Kinda makes me think that's the reasoning we're getting this new series soooo soon. It'd be insanely cool of Disney/production crew on "Rebels" to tell some of the untold stories from season 6 of Clone Wars. (Like finishing up Ahsoka Tano's story line. *crosses fingers*)

Aside from that, Getting Greig Weisman to work on this is a fantastic move. Should be a real interesting series to say the least. The only problem is Disney XD isn't the best at holding onto their original action series, but I bet "Rebels" will be to XD what "Clone Wars" was to CN. Hopefully that means "Rebels" will be able to have a long life on XD like Clone Wars had on CN. Even if in never fully bridges the gap between episode III and IV of Star Wars... (Unlike Clone Wars, which Disney prevented from fully bridging the gap between episode II and III. At least there are those "web cartoon" Lucasfilm will be releasing from the unfinished Clone Wars season 6... meh.)

6. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

I still love Star Wars, so I'm looking forward to this. So far Greg is said to be an executive producer, but I wonder how many episodes he'll write. And since this is Star Wars post-Disney, that hopefully means this will get a third season.

That being said, the so-called "Weisman Curse" is bullcrap, he worked on Max Steel and that managed to get a third season. Plus, he was only on W.I.T.C.H. for its second season so he only had one season that time. And then there's of course all the other shows he's written an episode or done other work for like Batman: The Brave and the Bold that managed to complete their runs. The "curse" is a joke. [​IMG]

And hehehe, I just realized this now means Greg is back at working for Disney.

7. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

"Curses" are always jokes. It's easy to say someone is cursed because their shows don't last as long as you want them so but that's just an excuse.

Anyway Yay for Weisman he's always a good sign for a show even if he does have his own set of cliches but then again what writer/director doesn't?

8. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The good news is that Greg Weisman has proven ability to build on continuity in interesting and consistent ways to create wholes that are bigger than the sums of their parts.

The bad news is that even moving the action to between episodes III and IV means he's still going to have to work with story elements from the CN Clone Wars series which either added little or actively contradicted the histories established in the movies, IMO. But maybe he'll just be able to ignore all that stuff in favor or newer stories. There seems to be much more open field between Episodes III and IV to play around with, vs. Eps II and III (which come down to, "Clone Wars mess up everything").

I'm sure they've been working on this for a little while, but 2014 is still a ways off.

9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

You know what would have been a fabulous complement to this show? Tron: Uprising. Oh well.

While Clone Wars could have run for longer...honestly, it had a good run and this strikes me as an improvement. In the end, isn't this the time we care about most? A time where you have the courageous few standing up against overpowering tyranny? And best of all, it's both relevant and mostly unexplored time so they have a fair amount of freedom to flex creative muscle. Who knows, if synergy is optimal we might even have some clever call forwards to Episode 7 & beyond, not just the classic trilogy.

What I hope is that this is indeed the story of the rebellion at large, meaning that people from all walks of life get in on the action and the story here. By all means, use some Jedi on the run, let Obi-Wan appear some perhaps. But the sad truth is the order is all but extinct by the time of A New Hope...that leaves us the gutsy underdogs. Give me a fair share of conscientious politicians, ace pilots and a brash Han Solo type or two and I'll be happy.

One very positive aspect of Greg Weisman's involvement, to my mind...he's good at everything, but above all he does villains VERY well. I hope he can offer plenty of input for those, thereby hopefully granting us imperial characters with some genuine depth (and menace). The show's really going to need that. I'd love to see Vader, but only as a trump card played every so often. He's too strong to be a regular, recurring villain (well, unless this show's going to have a lot of slaughtered Jedi). Tron: Uprising wisely held back Clu so other original villains got the limelight. The same should happen here too.

10. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

This seems to be a time period that fits more for a TV show.

11. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece Active Member

Very excited for this, hopefully it is in the same vein as Clone Wars...

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I concur. I'm not big on Star Wars, but I like how time between III and IV will be explored because that period is a mystery. Stuff between Episode II and III, I always thought were pointless to watch because the outcome is already known. I mean, it's hard for me to care about the characters when Ashoka will eventually dissapear from the overall story and Anakin will eventually join the dark side.

Hopefully Weisman's curse won't hurt the show's run. I gotta say, I admire his tenacity. It's all business to him, and he knows shows will just end up cancelled and there's nothing he can do about it, except move on to the next project.

13. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Star Wars produced by Greg Weisman? You have my attention Disney.

I hope being employed by the mouse house means Greg could get another crack at a Marvel series next but here's hoping this series is good and Disney doesn't pull the plug early.

14. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

It could be part of a more general Star Wars Rebels Bingo, my additions:
    • Ahsoka Tano playing a major part
    • Lando Calrissian having a minor recurring role
    • Kyle Katarn the Imperial officer years
    • Chewbacca
    • Pseudo-Sith
    • Mon Mothma having a much smaller part then she really should have
    • Grand Moff Tarkin having a much smaller part then he really should have
    • Droid Shenanigans (free space)
    Any other ideas for spaces.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this; hopeful we'll get a proper trailer by the end of this year.

15. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

Why a Han Solo type? It's between the prequels and the first real movie. We could get Han Solo and Chewbacca themselves, in all their Corellian and Wookie glory. I'd get a real kick out of it if they updated and adapted those old Brian Daley novels that they did after the first movie (Han Solo at Star's End, Han Solo's Revenge, and Han Solo and the Lost Legacy). I think Daley also did one story about Lando Calrissian, and I'd be OK with seeing Lando as a slimy wheeler-dealer on his way to that Tabanna gas mine on Bespin.

As always, I'd care less about origin stories as much as just good stories about what these guys were up to before the first movie (which is all the Daley novels were). They can be sideshows from the main story arcs about the establishment of the Rebel Alliance. The fact that George Lucas himself isn't even mentioned in the lists of creative people involved makes me also hope that we'd get a genuine Han Solo type rather than the flat new characters that populated all the movies and Clone Wars.

I agree about Greg Weisman doing good villains, though. An episode about the earnest young officer in the Empire that really thinks he/she is on the side of the good guys would be fascinating, whether or not that path just makes them a particularly benighted but persistent antagonist, or if that path leads to disillusionment and eventually to the Rebels.

16. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Everything about the show sounds great so far. A new time period to explore, some great executive producers, possible returns of fan-favorites, etc. I just hope the show can actually make it to a 3rd season.

17. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Sounds awesome. I hope we a see pre-Jedi training Luke Skywalker appears at least in one of the episodes.

18. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

KYO'NYUU IMOUTO Well-Known Member

So, did I miss whether or not this was going to be CG or 2D? Ah well, I'll probably watch anyway.

It's hilarious to see Weisman back on a Disney show. I hope he gets kicked off the staff for the third season, just for old time's sake.

Oh, who am I kidding. What third season? :p

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Some commentary in the announcement video indicates that Star Wars Rebels will be CG, taking after Clone Wars.

Hmm. Didn't think of Han as I was pondering those who would be actively part of the rebellion in some way, but I like this. No reason these characters and others can't cameo or even recur from time to time for roles in one adventure or another.

20. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

As a Star Wars fan, I can say only one thing:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!