1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Ishtar, Nov 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

They have said Luke has a big role in VIII, so the title fits. The others defected and became Knights like Kylo Ren.

#81 Yojimbo, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

This is the "The Last Samurai" debate all over again. :p When I saw the title, I immediately thought it referred to Luke, who will pass his skills on to (presumably) Rey.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

But I hope they surprise us and don't kill off/Force Ghost Luke.

4. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

They would be stupid to do that. They killed Han in the last one, so he's all they have now with Carrie Fisher having left us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

To be honest, why recast Leia for Episode IX? It's not even a good idea and Disney and Lucasfilm have confirmed that they will not use CGI for the character in Episode IX.

You need to accept the fact that recasting a major role like Leia after the death of the character's portrayer will not satisfy fans. I think the best way to do with the character is just to kill her off and that her death would be mentioned in Episode IX like Spock Prime's death was mentioned in Star Trek Beyond after the death of Leonard Nimoy.

I'm sorry but maybe move on from the recasting Leia for Episode IX stuff, OK?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, they might do a time jump between VIII and IX and mention Leia's death in IX.

They should still have time to add a dedication at the end of VIII.

7. AdrenalineRush1996

Agreed.

8. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Ioz has a good comment in the other "Upcoming Star Wars" film threads, that I agreed with, in response to what you are saying:

It all depends on how it's done. "Spock Prime" was not integral to the plot of "Star Trek Beyond", so yeah, kill him off screen. If Leia was really supposed to be an important part of Episode IX, then it would be a shame to miss out on the character's presence in that movie.

I'm not saying I want Leia recast. I'm just saying I don't want the plot to Episode IX to suffer just to go out of their way to avoid showing Princess Leia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AdrenalineRush1996

Actually, prior to his death, Nimoy was originally planned to return in Beyond but after his death, his character was killed off screen. His death was integral to Spock's character development in Beyond. It wouldn't be a shame because her planned role could be given to other characters instead.

Are you saying that it's better to have the character appear in Episode IX than being killed off screen? Going out of their way to avoid showing her? They would definitely avoid showing her by mentioning that she passed away sometime before Episode IX and after The Last Jedi.

Her planned part in Episode IX will probably be given to someone else.

To quote Spiderzilla:

#89 AdrenalineRush1996, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  10. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Perhaps losing his mother as well, could be something that helps pull Kylo Ren away from Snoke? They don't necessarily have to spend a lot of time on a death scene for Leia, we all know what happened. Maybe her influence could fill that big part she was supposed to have. Think about Khan in ST2. He's only on screen for like 15 minutes, but everyone in the movie talks about him constantly (it's actually the reason Ricardo Montalban decided not to turn down the role). Whatever was shot is shot, but perhaps it can be salvaged in a tasteful manner even if Leia's not around to complete the arc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AdrenalineRush1996

Good question. Like others, I'm 100% opposed to recasting Leia just to fulfil her role in Episode IX.

#91 AdrenalineRush1996, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  13. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I kinda figured that. Especially with the passing of Fisher being so recent, they should give people a few months before we see her again. At least, that's just my opinion.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tumblenerd

Tumblenerd Member

It's definitely going to be tricky for the writers to try and explain Leia's absence in Episode IX. An off-screen death is most likely, but kind of unsatisfying. An on-screen death would require maybe some carefully picked outtakes from episodes VII and VIII--she could be on a cruiser when it blows up, for example. We'll have to see whatever events unfold in The Last Jedi first though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. the greenman

Would you be satisfied by an off-screen death, but seeing her face (Digitally of course) in a casket funeral procession like Amidala in Episode 3?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tumblenerd

Tumblenerd Member

Hmmm. It's a possibility maybe, yeah. The thing simply is, Disney doesn't have a lot of options. Whatever they do, you're going to get yanked out of the story for a moment, realizing, "They have to do this because Carrie Fisher died."

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Disney already said they won't do any digital trickery, so any shots would have to be outtakes or stunt doubles. At this point, we all know what happened so I don't think an off screen death would be too disappointing. It just sucks because Leia was going to get a bigger role and unless Rey is a blood relative, we won't get to see how the women of the Skywalker family turn it up.

(I think Rey might be, but there are always last minute surprises.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    #98 Yojimbo, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  19. the greenman

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.