1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Ishtar, Nov 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

[​IMG]

Release Date: December 15, 2017

=========================================================================

To those who think immediately making sequels is all Disney's idea, Lucas had already told Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher that he had plans for episodes 7-9 over a year ago.

#1 Ishtar, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Guess it's not too early to talk about Episode 8 and 9.

Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg will write and produce. The same Kasdan that wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Return of the Jedi. And Kinberg's the writer behind X-Men: The Last Stand, Jumper, X-Men First Class, and the two Sherlock Holmes to name a few.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Well, nobody can say they aren't bringing talented people on board for this. My attitude is one of cautious optimism.

4. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Kasdan without Lucas, eh? I'm surprised he's interested in returning.

Well, beyond that truckload of cash you can hear backing into his driveway...

5. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Heh, now I'm really curious on how all of this is going to turn out with Kasdan on board. Here comes my optimistic thoughts with a slight hint of being ready for anything disappointing. :sweat:

6. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Kasdan's actually a fairly lousy writer outside of Empire (and even then most of his "innovations" were actually introduced by George in his uncredited second and third drafts) so I'm on the fence with this.

7. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

disney is bringing in (in this case bringing back) someone with ACTUAL LEGIT previous star wars experience for the new movies? i'm honestly surprised.

8. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

9. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

Checking out this guy's credentials on IMDB. He's directed:
    Brick - 2005
    The Brother's Bloom - 2008
    Terriers pilot - 2010
    Looper - 2012
    Breaking Bad - Ozymandias - 2013

Oh, this guy definitely seems like he's right for the job. I'm glad Disney's focusing on young, talented directors for the new movies (Johnson, Gareth Edwards, Josh Trank)

10. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Johnson is one of my favorite new directors, who has proven he can transcend genres. Still gotta see Looper. That's the mark of a great director even. I'm now looking more forward to this one than the idea of Abrams helming all three. It keeps to the spirit of the OT. Hopefully Billy Dee will return for VIII, now we have to wait and see who's on board for IX.

11. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

First of all, that's too bad about Ford: hope he recovers quickly.

Now for Rian Johnson: I'm happy he got the job, nothing against him, but am I the only one who thinks this may be a bad sign for Ep VII, the fact they've already decided to remove Abrams? Remember when they hired the directors of CA: TWS for Cap 3 early on, and everyone (correctly) felt that was a sign the footage for TWS looked great? Could this mean Abrams is doing a poor job, and they want Ep VIII to be better? Abrams could be stepping down voluntarily, but that could also be a problem: maybe Disney and Lucasfilm are causing trouble for him, not allowing his vision to go through? He's a diehard Star Wars fan, so you'd think he'd want to stick around, unless he was having a terrible time. The only explanation I can think of is that they want a different director for each movie, but even so: if the footage for Ep VII looked amazing, you'd think they'd want him to stay. Anyone else view this as a bad sign for Ep VII?

12. the greenman

I don't mind Abrams stepping down from Episode 8. I do mind Johnson automatically announced for helming Episode 9. I believe Abrams may stay on as a producer on this, but the replacement seems fine to me. It feels like the same level of doing the OT with Irving Kirshner and Richard Marquand respectively.

13. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

My concern is if they'll keep the visual style of Star Wars consistent. There's stuff like the wipes, dissolves and pans that I think are key to making a movie feel like a Star Wars one. I don't want to suddenly see weird jump cuts and such.

14. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Being a die hard fan of anything doesn't necessarily mean any movie will be that great. Maybe J.J. Abrams only wanted to do things his way without considering George Lucas' vision, and was asked to leave because of that. Long story short, let me just say that I hope they won't be too different from the other movies.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

15. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Maybe they don't want Ep. VIII to end up like Into Darkness.

16. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I understand that, and this could very well be the case. My concern is just that Abrams isn't stepping down so much as it is Disney forcing him out because they're unhappy with him and Ep VII. I look forward to Johnson and Ep VIII, but this next one is the primary concern.

17. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

It could be that Abrams is unhappy with Disney and just didn't want to direct Episode VIII. Hell, he didn't even want to direct Episode VII in the first place.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Against "Abrams is unhappy" and "Disney is unhappy" I will put forth an option C, which is that maybe Abrams simply didn't want to spend a very long stretch of time being occupied with work on Star Wars and / or big SF flicks. It's not as though this is unheard of, look at the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Iron Man 3 had a new director, all three films had different people screenwriting. Directors changed for both Captain America films, neither Kenneth Branagh nor the scriptwriters for Thor came back for Thor 2. And of course, lest we forget, there is no director continuity for the original three Star Wars flicks. Absent some very credible reporting of discontent on the set, I wouldn't read much of anything into this at all.

As for Johnson, well, I saw Looper and I found it a competently done time travel SF movie. I wouldn't say I'm hyped for the news, but I certainly believe he can do a good job.

19. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I'm inclined to believe Abrams wants to get at least a few hours of sleep now and then, and once he's gotten the chance to okay with his new universe, he'll probably want to get some rest.

20. the greenman

9/21/14: Interview with Johnson talks about creative freedom:

Rian Johnson Talks STAR WARS EPISODE VIII Creative Freedom, Lucasfilm Influence And More

I also listened to a podcast between him and Terry Gilliam, very cool. It didn't reveal much, but he said he's ready to play in this universe.

7/20/15: Episode 8 is starting to look pretty cool, with an interesting cast:

http://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-episode-viii-eyes-benicio-del-toro-to-play-villain-exclusive/

11/23: Mark Hamill confirms his appearance in Episode 8:

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

12/29/15: Rian Johnson says EPISODE 8 is gonna be weird:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-be-weird-promises-screenwriter-a6788031.html

EDIT: Corrected link.

#20 the greenman, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017