1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series Talkback Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by zoombie, Mar 30, 2015.

1. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

It's only with advertisers and people who look down on animation in general that something TBH with all of you that is sitcom-garbage like Dog With A Blog is considered more mature than Gravity Falls. That's all I got to say on that one.

2. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

At least in the US, even the worst of live-action will always be considered more mature than the best of animation

OTP?

3. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

What's OTP?

4. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

One True Pairing, most likely.

5. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Remember, new episodes this and next week.

6. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

So in the first episode, Star acknowledge Marco as a boy, well could that open some relationship possibilities.

Speaking of which, that weird hippie goth girl that appeared in this episode, is just me or was she flirting with Marco, I think she might like him.

And in the second episode I totally called it that the Empress wanted to eat the fat kid.

7. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

Mewberty was pretty good. This sums up the episode in a nutshell.

[​IMG]

I also didn't expect the studly swimmer fanservice for the lady viewers out there. I certainly know this show is made for girls now.

Pixtopia was alright. At least the fight scene was satisfactory.

8. AhmedtheHead

AhmedtheHead Member

I enjoyed both segments, with Mewberty being the best. It was hilariously bizarre how the subject was tackled.

By the way, did anyone notice something...different about tonight's episode? I don't know if it was the animation or the slower pacing than usual.

9. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, the animation wasn't as bouncy and fluid as Mercury Filmworks' animation usually is; it felt a little choppier. I wouldn't be surprised if that episode was animated by another company entirely. Either that or Mercury Filmworks was on a tighter production schedule.

Looking at the credits it appears that Toon City was also involved with the animation production for this episode alongside MF. That makes sense. It certainly looked like their style.

Anyways. Mewberty was a bit disturbing, but Pixtopia was a little funnier. Both were kinda substandard from every episodes up to now if only for the noticeable animation shift and slower pacing, which was also noticeable.

#109 DeanBurrito25, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  10. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Sigh... No animation change is going to deter me; However...

Mewberty: Ah, the budding of a new power for our hero - completely ruined by it not working properly (and judging by this show's storytelling standards, it might not work for a long time, or worse, ever. This bugs me royally...). A little too rushed and forced for my liking, TBH. I can only hope these writers rectify this - Star could use some more useful powers going forward... Shooting that wand off all the time is not always going to get her out of stuff, IMHO!

Pixtopia: This just felt stupid and insulting in some ways, IMHO - particularly to Marco's stereotypical "friends", but particularly with the whole "falling in love via hidden motives" setup. At least they did something outside of school for once, which is A-OK with me, however. Nothing changes, IMHO at least, that Marco's 2 friends only seem to be here to be LOOOSSSEEERRRS no one else likes (in some cases, not even Marco & Star, which is even sadder in some ways, I admit.) - I really freaking hate that - and I don't trust these writers to do too much about it just yet (it's still pretty early, TBH...), which is what bugs me so much!

11. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Yeah, the character designs were all over the place. Sometimes it looked normal with their thick lines, and other times they had thin lines.

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

According to animation friends on Facebook, Mercury Filmworks is handling so many shows right now, that they don't have the capacity to continue the level of animation the show started with, and now they're sharing animation duties with Toon City in the Philippines. Toon City has done work on several Disney shows in the past like Lilo and Stitch and a few episodes of Kim Possible.
    I was told that Bardel will do animation for the show as well.

13. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Mewbery was pretty disturbing, but fun

Pixtopia was a nice introduction to a new setting I hope we'll see more of

14. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which I like more since I find both episodes enjoyable. Also, for a fun fact, the pixie empress in Pixtopia is voiced Anna Camp, also known for playing Princess Ivy on Sofia the First.

15. DeanBurrito25

That's a shame to hear, considering Mercury Filmworks is excellent at what they do. Then again, if they're getting that much work, it's definitely not a bad thing.

Bardel does the animation for Rick and Morty as well as Jake and The Neverland Pirates on Disney Junior, so they'll probably do a decent job.

16. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

It was nice to see a couple of episodes that didn't have the villain for once. I wonder if next week will continue that trend.

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Really? Jake and the Neverland Pirates was also done at Mercury Filmworks. I wonder how the show looks when Bardel works on it...

18. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

That girl in "Mewberty" who I hope we see more of, is she really a witch? Consider this show's universe, a witch is not far fetched.

Speaking of which, thank you Macro for ruining a girl's chance of a happy family.

19. CobblerStone44

Yeah, I guess the animation seemed a bit choppier and not as fluid. But who knows, hopefully Toon City or Bardel will get better over time.

Also I hope Wander Over Yonder Season 2 doesn't get outsourced like Star Vs. :S

20. DeanBurrito25

Funny you mention that because Craig McCracken confirmed on Twitter this morning that Wander was also affected and will have its second season animated by Boulder Media. They've worked with McCracken in the past on Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, so it shouldn't be that big of a stretch.

I guess the Mercury Filmworks era of Disney Television Animation is slowly drifting away, if you'd even call it that.

• Agree Agree x 1