"Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series Talkback Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by zoombie, Mar 30, 2015.

1. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. All this relationship drama is fun. Jackie really is cool. She handled everything well. But how is Marco going to react when he sees Star is with Tom?

Also great to see his geeky friends again. Them, alongside the Brittany, got completely brushed aside story wise, which is a great surprise and change of pace from other toons dealing with otherworldly kids who have to live on Earth.

Wait, so I’m confused. Is Marco just not going to school anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

Apparently he's gonna go in Mewni from what I've heard or something to that effect. Watching episode right now and in his date with Jackie he really does come across as cringey in a sad and funny way.

Edit: Ok finished the episode and the Jackie stuff was legit depressing to watch. It's like he's both being a bad boyfriend and kind of a dick, but at the same time so incredibly pitiful it's just sad. More ESPECIALLY sad is Jackie is on the receiving end of things and you can see her trying to keep it together and not break down both in the scene in her room and when Marco says she's his best friend and when she hugs him and notices he still has the cape under his hoodie from her facial pause to her grilling him to take the hoodie off just reminds me of the Bunk Moreland gif from The Wire. Part disappointment and part hurt on her part. Her "Giving him and Out" was especially sad since it's clear she wants things to work and at worst to end amicably, but is REALLY trying to keep it together.

#1143 doomrider7, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  4. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

So we finish week one.

Lint Catcher

Well Marco return to Mewni, and considering how much of an ego trip Marco was on last episode, it has to burst his bubble that River was just being polite. That has to sting. And Marco is cool with seeing Tom there.

Star's attitude does make sense, she just went though this mini arc of getting over Marco and she finally did, that is when Marco returns, that is why she wants to keep far away and have him be a squire for Sir Lavabo. Though ironically it might be the most dangerous assignment. I love the idea of Star getting relationship advice from Eclipsa. I mean why not, and she had all that bird seeds and not even know it.

So Marco gets his room back, and is Star squire? Is Star even a knight? Does that make sense? That is addressed in the next episode.

Trial By Squire

So Star is Knight now? So this is an event for knights and their squires, Marco is a squire, I don't know where Star fits in. And that does bother the others, though they take out on Marco. I thought this was going to be a take on sales like Black Friday, and they all be trying to sabotage each other, but nope they were just picking on Marco, than I thought it was just hazzing the new guys, but no there is another reason. It is resentment that in their minds Marco was handed this via connections.

And they are not wrong, it was pity that got Marco his opportunity. though even they think Star and Marco are together, I guess they were all there for that song, makes sense. I do expect by the end of this two week event, Marco will win all the knights and other fellow squires over and earn their respect.

Still a nice throw back episode, and we end week one on a positive note with the Starco back together, and have some interesting stuff with Eclipsa, things are moving up. Now we just need Star and Tom, and everything will be perfect.

5. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Lint Catcher: I was so happy seeing Marco's ego being taken down after yesterday's episode. Should've figured that River didn't actually Knight Marco. The cape itself was actually his meat-blanket.
    You know, the fact that Marco has dimensional scissors, I just don't see the big deal of Marco having gone home to Earth as a thing to be sad about, since he could easily see Star again with those scissors without getting out of his house. It's also kind of irresponsible that Marco was transferred to Mewni since apparently he's not even going to school there. Only to see Star again.
    It was nice seeing Eclipsa again. and it looks like laundry-knight duty hasn't changed since her Rule.

Trial by Squire: Alright episode. The other squires were jerks, but Higgs's reason for being one was kind of justified. Marco did become a squire because of his connection with Star. It's like someone getting promoted to a high-paying position because they're related to the boss. The fact that Higgs's Knight kind of treats her critically, earns her some sympathy too.

#1145 ShadowBeast, Nov 9, 2017
  6. zoombie

I agree, I like Higgs despite everything. Not be surprised there is a Higgs versions of "Running With Scissors" you know a Marco / Higgs bonding episode though maybe lighter on the romantic subtext. I expect Marco to unionize the squares. A square strike episode.

If Higgs didn't have lighter skin, I would say she is Foolduke's sister, which would give her more of a chip on her shoulder.

#1146 zoombie, Nov 9, 2017
  7. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Lint Catcher was a really refreshing episode. They didn't go the cliched love triangle route like other shows. Marco just simply asked if Star and Tom were a thing again, Star said yes, and Marco moved on.

So Marco's not really a knight? River should have just said he was an honorary knight, so Marco wouldn't have grown a big ego. Nice to see that Star found a way for Marco to be able to stay in the castle. It's like a role reversal of the first episode, where Star popped in Marco's life unannounced, and he found a way to make it work, and not kick her out.

Not much to say about Trial by Squire, aside from the ending moment with Star and Marco, which reinforces the ending of the last episode about Star and Marco being able to live together and still have fun.

#1147 ToonJay723, Nov 9, 2017
  8. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

I can't help but feel kind of angry about the possible direction of the series. If they really do write off the Earth characters or pull off some shoddily explained Pair the Spares via Jackie dating Oskar or something that would just be ALL of the terrible writing since her character really has been wasted ungodly bad along with all of the possible plot points that could have been done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Sophomore Slump, Lint Catcher, and Trial By Squire were pretty sweet/enjoyable,

Nice seeing Alfonso/Ferguson.
    Cool seeing Janna who's enjoyable.
    Cool to see Jackie.
    Marco putting full effert to living life in the present on Earth was great.
    Marco/Jackie's great cute chemistry moment was sweet, Jackie was cool to handle it well:D, Marco/Jackie couple will be missed.
    Marco going to Mewni to see Star was great, the love triangle begins on Star/Marco/Tom worse than poor Mordecai on Margaret/CJ:sweat:.

Marco seeing Star was great/funny.
    Cool seeing Sir Lavabo.
    Marco to be Sir Lavabo's squire is gonna be great/interesting:D.
    Love Eclipsa and her sweet moment with Star.
    That's one terrifying beast.
    Star giving Marco is new room with the cool cute laser puppies was sweet.

Star/Marco competing for the Midnight Warrior Blowout Sale at Quest Buy was great.
    I like Higgs/her knight and the terrible bully squires, Higgs the Second Janna, love it, new enemies for Star/Marco.
    Star/Marco vs. Higgs was enjoyable.
    Higgs, so my favorite awesome new bully girl character, I do pity her and she'll develop and be a great new friend/ally for Star/Marco:D.
    Cool that Star/Marco won.

Jeffrey Tambor after Bill Cosby, Chris Savino, and Skyler Page, woooooooow.

10. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

I know, right? I'm very worried now that Tambor will end up getting banished from any future Disney projects, especially future SVTFOE episodes!

11. emocobra666

emocobra666 Member

So this is back sweet I don't have XD so didn't know but need to catch up

12. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

I really hope they avoid the standard episode where Marco
    gets jealous and does something stupid to break tom and star up that in real life would ruin their friendship
    I hate those episodes
    I'm looking at you adventure time regular show and that
    one episode in gravity falls where dipper breaks up Wendy and Robbie

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

Agree. To be fair the GF episode ended EXACTLY as it should have with her being pissed at him for perfectly good reason(no dipper, asking the girl you like to hang out after you ruin her relationship, even if for good reason is NOT cool). Have no context for the other two, but I have some very not nice things about those episodes and love triangles.

14. zoombie

Week 2 begins.

Princess Turdina

Marco and Pony Head agreeing with each other, what is going on? Well it is great to see all of these princesses again, some of which we just saw in "Star Crushed".

I think there is a balance between total dictatorship and what we have here, we need a a little structure don't we.

So Marco is exposed and some of the princesses don't mind that, some even prefer the male Marco.

So this is the end of Princess Turdina? I think so, but the ending implies it is not done yet.

Starfari

This is the the episode I have waiting for, for a long time. Finally we address all the injustice done to the monsters, about time.

First of all, Star addresses the big elephant in the room, what is a monster and what is not a monster, I love how Moon response to some of these, my favorite being "but he's rich". Now we know how things are run on Mewni. Money talks money talks.

So the monster expect Jelly makes her debut, and she is kind of a nut ball, almost as crazy as Mina Loveberry. Jelly is what I call a raciest liberal or a liberal raciest.. She thinks she is doing good, but it not really.

Great to see Buffrog and family again, and Katrina just talks to anyone except for Buffrog, I am waiting for that day. Great to see Star being super heroic.

And Buffrog got a new job working for the Mewni government, the newest monster expert, good on you Star for giving him that job.

Of all the episodes this month so far, this is my favorite so far.

15. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Princess Turdina

So the girls finally know that Marco is a boy. I noticed some of the girls there were at the Silver Bell Ball. I wonder if their parents know what happened to St. Olga.

Starfari

Good, a question I had last week was answered. Looks like the "Monster Expert" decided who's a monster based on their wealth.

Hopefully with Buffrog now as Monster Expert, Mewni will stop treating monsters so poorly. And maybe when monsters are treated equally, Eclipsa can be set free.

#1155 ToonJay723, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 8:50 PM
  16. ShadowBeast

Princess Turdina: This felt too much "far-sided". What the Princess were cheering on for, was getting to do whatever they wanted like spoiled children. Miss Heinous's thing was bad of course (especially with the ending of the episode), but what the Princesses are going for, is on the other spectrum-side of bad. They even looked ready to turn on Marco for even saying that not all rules are bad.
    I still don't get why the place is accessible at all, since all Miss Heinous has to do is inform the parents and she'd get not only get her school back, but possibly funding from the parents to to prevent another uprising.

Starfari: This one was entertaining. Dr. Goodwell (I know she's based-off of someone) looking at the monsters as wild animals that need protecting was funny. And I loved Queen Moon's reaction when hearing Star coming up the stairs. I was actually hoping Star would give Buff-Frog a job some time ago.

17. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

She's based on Jane Goodall, who spent over fifty years studying the behavior of Chimpanzees.

• Like Like x 1
  18. doomrider7

doomrider7 Member

For those curious as to who she is and what she does.

Yes I know, OT, but COME ON it's a REALLY touching moment.

19. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I feel like Eclipsa telling Star to let the sleepwalking continue is a red flag. Star herself said that the latest one wasn't good.

20. ShadowBeast

Sweet Dreams: Good episode. I don't like how Star just didn't tell her mother the truth. It feels like Star can't trust her mother in helping her. I loved the meeting of Marco and Eclipsa. Especially her reaction to his "karate". A nice cameo of Ludo. I wonder if he's actually play a role in this season? I wonder how long Glossaryk is gonna remain mindless?

Lava Lake Beach: This was alright. It seems like we are getting a role reversal of Star and Marco's love-ship nonsense, with Marco being the one in love with Star, but trying to hide it. But now it seems Daron might be hinting of Marco and Kelly being a thing. This season is getting too ship-happy.

Eclipsa running around is a red flag. She could be manipulating things around the kingdom.

#1160 ShadowBeast, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 8:04 PM