1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series Talkback Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by zoombie, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Carlos Gutierrez

And about her actress Jenny Slate, I liked it better when she did the voice of Bellwether from "Zootopia".

2. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

The guy stole his castle from his own family. He also levitalto-ed everyone who displeased him during his reign of Mewni. Ludo isn't innocent.

As for the Mewmans, they never realized that the monsters weren't as bad as they thought they were. But that's gonna change with Star and her mother.

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Mewmans aren't innocent. River isn't innocent. He's a despot. Maybe his family mistreated him.

We shall see

4. ShadowBeast

I never said they weren't innocent. But they aren't evil. And River's actions in Battle for Mewni were out of worry for his wife and went back on track, thanks to Marco. He even refused to hide from Ludo for the sake of his people. And even if the Mewmans aren't innocent, levitaltoing them for not singing right is still an act of evil.
    Dennis was also kicked out. And he is still loyal and cares about his brother.

5. StellaMagic

StellaMagic Active Member

I wonder how Rasticore will feel when he finds out his former general, fellow Septarian, and army buddy has been killed by Star and Ludo. Be could provide the backstory on Toffee and how the two were mistreated growing up.

6. TheVileOne

Reporter

The way he treats the monsters is evil. They are left to starve, and he hordes all the corn for himself. Look how he acted in the episode where the monsters were just trying to get corn to eat to survive. The fact that he needs Marco's help is proof of how bad he is as a ruler.

Just from the way the family considered him and probably treated him as the runt of the litter, I got the feeling Ludo's actions were brought about by the way he was treated growing up.

7. ShadowBeast

But the Mewmans have always viewed the Monsters as evil. And there's nothing stopping the Monsters from growing their own corn. Monsters were thriving before the Mewmans showed. So they should be able to grow their own crops. As for how Richard acted in the episode "where the monsters were just trying to get corn to eat to survive", the Monster were technically stealing the corn. That's thievery.
    The episode where Marco helped Richard, also revealed that the peasants actually usually love Richard. Which would imply that he's usually at least a competent ruler. But his constant partying because of his worrying about his wife has left a negative impact on the peasants.

Ludo's parents treated him the way they treated him to toughen him up. But that didn't mean he didn't have family that didn't care about him like Dennis, who worried about his older sibling. But even with an abusive background, that doesn't change the fact that what Ludo did in the first season was evil.

8. TheVileOne

Reporter

Tough love isn't a good way to excuse child abuse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ShadowBeast

And being abused isn't a good excuse to do evil deeds and take it out on others. It certainly didn't help keep his soldiers loyal to him in the first season.

10. TheVileOne

Reporter

Ludo is the true hero of this story. His deeds are not evil. From my point of view, the Mewmans are evil.

11. ShadowBeast

Considering how abusive he was to his own soldiers. Ludo is no hero. He intended to steal the wand for selfish reasons not heroic. So how exactly is Ludo a hero?

• Agree Agree x 1
    #1051 ShadowBeast, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  12. TheVileOne

Reporter

Even heroes make mistakes.

13. ShadowBeast

Yeah, everyone makes mistakes. But how is Ludo a hero?

14. TheVileOne

Reporter

He pretty much saved the day before he got thrown back into the abyss.

15. ShadowBeast

He killed Toffee, who was already weakened by a magical blast from Star. So he didn't technically save the day. Star did. Ludo only finished him off.

16. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm going to cite something series creator Daron Nefcy said at the SDCC panel this year, which might be illuminating over the "they're evil/no THEY'RE evil" discussion going on:

I still have yet to catch up with a lot of season 2, let alone this new movie episode, so I'm really coming at this from the abstract. But based on Daron Nefcy's intentions, it seems to me that if you're going to accept the perspective of one side about the other without question and without thinking about how that other side would see those actions, I think you're kind of doing it wrong. It might have started in simple, black-and-white terms, but it definitely didn't stay that way for long.

People (and monsters) do things for reasons. Sometimes those reasons are really dumb or counter-productive, but that in itself does not make them "evil." And oftentimes, many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view, as the man said (who, I should also point out, did a lot of things that were extraordinarily questionable in the name of battling evil).

17. TheVileOne

Reporter

It counts for me.

18. ShadowBeast

Yeah, of course it does. Still doesn't make him a hero since he did it out of revenge.

19. TheVileOne

Reporter

Sometimes revenge can be good. Even a dish that's best served cold can be delicious.

20. ShadowBeast

That still doesn't make it heroic, or the person committing the act heroic for doing so.