1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series Talkback Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by zoombie, Mar 30, 2015.

1. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Predictability can be alright at times, but the whole Starco thing is just too obvious. The Blood Moon even forces that they are destined.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster Active Member

She did actually, they were just low-key about it. Heck I don't think they were even boyfriend/girlfriend, just dating.

3. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

I'm actually in the same camp as you, kind of. (Note that I didn't watch the movie yet).

I started watching the show because I was told about Toffee (really hope he's not dead). But what kept me watching the first season despite the lack of Toffee throughout, was Star and Marco's friendship dynamic. It had a nostalgic Kim and Ron aspect to it. Which to me meant that they were to people of the opposite gender that were so close they might as well have been siblings. IT also meant that I was half expecting Starco to happen by the season 1 finale.

But, to my surprise, the more episodes I watched, (Excluding Blood Moon), the more they came off as siblings than a potential couple (which I found refreshing). I guess S1 really spoiled me on this going into S2.

Also I'm interested in Jackie's character for multiple reasons. Very few involve her love life. I was just ok with Jarco because it meant that Star and Marco could have kept that sibling dynamic. But, since that's probably out of the window, I just hope they don't use Jackie as a prop/ obstacle for Starco.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I'm not fond of the blood moon bond because as long as it's there and Star and Marco end up together the question will always remain if it was their own choice or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

It's hard for me to even really consider Toffee evil. Look how poorly monsters are treated and considered by the Mewmans.

6. Action!

Action! Active Member

Just to let you know, he did kill Star's grandma.

7. TheVileOne

Reporter

They were at war. How do you know Star's grandmother didn't do worse to Toffee and his people? Remember the feast event Star showed to Marco and his friends? It was a tale of how the Mewmans basically committed genocide against the monsters.

And what about Star's mother? She talked to Bough Frog about stories of monsters kidnapping and eating human babies, even though she never knew or saw proof of this ever happening.

Exhibit B, when Bough Frog joined that monster crew, he talked about how the monsters were starving. The Mewmans are basically hording everything for themselves and letting the monsters have nothing.

#1007 TheVileOne, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. dragoonanime

dragoonanime Member

The teaser that was shown after the livestream said the show is coming back in November which is a long wait.

9. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

New episodes return in November. Here's the promo

#1009 ToonJay723, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  10. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well

11. ShadowBeast

Well Daron did say that Toffee was a Magneto-type villain. He has his reasons, he's just going about them right. While monsters were treated badly, Toffee was ruthless with how he dealt with his enemies, and even used his fellow monsters to get what he wanted.

Star's grandmother was about to sign a peace treaty with the monsters. That does show that she willing to make peace with them.

Sounds like Eclipsa is gonna be even more manipulative than even Toffee.

Considering that they are both only children, having a sibling relationship would've been great, especially with how they helped each other.

It would be nice to get character development from Jackie, even development beyond of being a love interest.

The Blood Moon Ball does make starco look like forced love. At least Alex came up with a way for Robbie and Tambry's romance to be real by revealing in Journal 3 that the Love God's potion wears off after three hours.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheVileOne

Reporter

I think we aren't getting the full story here.

That was just one account. But was it the real one? Also, the monsters were clearly not given a fair shake after the war either. They are treated as second class citizens and left to starve. Even if she was willing to sign a peace treaty, we don't know how far she went in the war to get to that point.

Forced or not, it's pretty obvious why Marco went there. He was jealous of Star going on a date with another man and dancing with her. That painting telling him a message or whatever, that's what set him off. So maybe it's one-sided or unrequited, but it's definitely there on Marco's part.

Also what the heck is up with this scheduling. So you show four episodes and then take a four-month break? Marco, please help me out here.

13. ShadowBeast

Hence why I hope Daron isn't done with Toffee yet.

You seem to be trying to make Star's grandmother as villainous as possible to make Toffee the good guy. We haven't even seen Star's grandmother's personality. While Toffee has his reasons for going against the Mewmans, that doesn't mean that Star's Grandmother wasn't a good person herself.

Or he was trying to protect Star like a sibling would do. Star has told Marco of her past with Tom, and Tom did come in a bone-horse pulled carriage. If Marco has been interested in Star, why still go for Jackie then? Marco doesn't seem like the type of person to go after two girls.

Disney has been cruel before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TheVileOne

Reporter

It doesn't mean she was a good person either. The show seems to have shown plenty of evidence that the Mewmans aren't really what I'd call "good" and highly mistreated and neglected the monster race. Mewman Independence Day is basically a celebration of genocide against monsters. King River is a terrible leader who stays safe in his tower while his people suffer and hordes food while monsters starve and scavenge for scraps. That's called a despot. He might be a comedic despot. But he's still a despot.

I think we've blown through "like a sibling" at this point for this relationship. It's not a sibling relationship.

As for going for Jackie, the dude's a confused, hormonal teenager. Like we haven't seen romances where characters pursue one character while falling in love with another. As Shakespeare said, the course of true love never did run smooth.

15. ShadowBeast

The fact that even Glossaryk liked her and that she was gonna sign a peace treaty with the monsters, points to her being a good person. I see more of evidence of both sides seeing the other side as evil. Mewmans see the monsters as evil, and the Monsters see the Mewmans as evil. It's war, and both sides sees themselves in the right. While Mewman Independence Day celebrates a genocide of the monsters, It doesn't mean all Mewmans are evil, And the battle is only reenacted instead of the Mewmans going out to kill Monsters during the holiday, with the citizens blissfully unaware of the Monsters being not as bad as they think they are. Even Moon is realizing that Monsters aren't so bad (though it seemed like she didn't have a problem with them for a long while considering how she acted with Ludo's parents and how she talked to Ludo about his brother missing him).
    King River's actions were out of concern for his wife and daughter and he did start acting like a real leader in the end with help from Marco.

I was referring to the Blood moon episode and the first season.

But Marco has shown no signs of liking Star beyond friendship until the Battle for Mewni movie. And he didn't act weird and confused until Star's secret came out.

16. TheVileOne

Reporter

He most definitely did.

Him going to the Blood Moon Ball was definitely due to him having a thing for Star. Deep or not. No one can convince me otherwise. He was jealous. That simple. The painting gave him that warning about "lovers" and that's what set him off. Then he goes to the underworld and dances with her. It's clearly meant to evoke a romantic moment. I'm sorry, there's nothing familial or sibling-esque about the way any of that was played.

If I turn out to be wrong, so be it. But the show from the beginning has been the journey of Star and Marco's relationship. It's whirlwind teenage romance. And sometimes that means pursuing other people to discover how you truly feel.

Think about it. Marco finally starts a relationship with Jackie. After he starts that relationship with the girl he's been after since the first season, he has NO INTEREST IN HER AT ALL. All of his thoughts are centered on Star. That's who he truly cares about now. He's not happy or content on any level with Jackie.

17. StellaMagic

StellaMagic Active Member

Here's what I think the Eclipsa Arc will be like:

Eclipsa will be released from her prison and telepathically takes control of Moon while seeking her monster husband and children in a plot to take over Mewni. Star and Marco realize the only way to break Eclipsa's contract with Moon is to bring Toffee back. It is then we learn why Toffee set out to destroy Mewmans and what caused him to go rogue. He and Star work together to stop Eclipsa and her evil family.

18. ShadowBeast

I'm sorry but I don't think it was out of jealousy. And you can't convince me it was.

He goes to the dance to get her out of there. Once he touches her, the Blood Moon lights up and then they start dancing, that implies that it was the Blood Moon that causes them to do so.

I think there is more to this show than just about romance.

I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing it. The only one who stopped being interested in someone was Star with Oskar. Marco has been hanging around Jackie more often since she discovered his secret in Sleepover and if Marco had stopped showing interest in her and instead with Star, he would've been kissing Star instead of Jackie in "Just Friends". Marco only started thinking of Star when he discovered about her secret, and it only left him confused about what to say to her about it.

That sounds like a great plot. Only thing is that from the advertisement, it seems that Moon knows about Eclipsa's ability to control others and will probably be resisting it for quite a bit before Eclipsa takes full control.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Carlos Gutierrez

Should the new episodes of "Star vs. the Forces of Evil" resume in either September or October instead of in November? And should Daron Nefcy do a Christmas special as well?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

You can't force these things to happen. I don't why new episodes won't come back until November, but that's the network's decision, which you should accept. Also, in response to the second question, the word is "could" not "should". The show could do a Christmas special, but it shouldn't be forced to. It's up to the crew and network executives. Stop acting like you can control what happens in animation.