1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series Talkback Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by zoombie, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Cute and Mean

They both feel very similar, almost frighteningly. Characters that are just meant solely to ridicule snobby rich teen girls who are vain, while also showing how hopeless and stupid the rest of the school students are by being followers of these people. Just your usual anti-Highschool commentary going on. I agree with Dudley here, I'm glad no one especially not Marco is actually being forced to be in love with this sort of character, and if they did major changes in their personality would have to be made, I know Trixie had her comic book thing too, but in that same episode she was ditching her friend (whipping girl more like) and tossing gifts into a fire without looking at them, she always looked down on everyone and that was something that was never explained why she had been given this outlook other than "TEH RICH PEEPL ARE ALL EVUL!!". Pacifica Northwest was explained to be an example of bad upbringing but was really a nice person behind it and also considerably brave which made her 'work' as a love interest, at least for now.

I don't mind Brittany actually, she's kind of funny and is taken to such an absurd level that is great for bringing the comic relief of schooldays being terrible, and of course show how foolish everyone is for tolerating her, plus unlike Trixie she doesn't have this untouchable aura around her, Brittany is in fact in some ways sympathetic because even though she's being a complete brat, Star really was completely upstaging her at her own party and is constantly attracting trouble and causing her injury.

Still, kind of what I meant in my post earlier, its a fun show in some regards and I'm watching it because I love magic-based shows, but I know this isn't going to be the sort of cartoon that stays fresh for long. Stuff is just sort of made up on the fly here for humor, like how Marco suddenly gets motion sickness and they're riding this joke the entire episode. Its fun to see the villains get beat up in comic ways... once. Another thing is the stuff with Jackie, is it going to drag on forever? It would be nice to see her actually speak more than once bi-episodely.

2. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

^ the thing is, they never even tried to give Brittany any sympathetic traits

remember, in Trixie's very first appearance, she fully supported Timmy's decision to choose friends over popularity

Trixie was actually closer to Pacifica, in that she acted in a way society expected her to

Brittany just likes to control people

3. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

[MENTION=50859]SaneMan[/MENTION] - thanks, SaneMan - for pointing out why exactly I hate this character and the setting set up to stupidly and senselessly admire her. This is one of those instances where it would have worked better, if like say, with those Biskit Idiots from LPS (2012)... Nobody liked or paid attention of any kind to her and thought she was full of trash - from the way she acted to the way she talked.
    But no, we can't have the writers doing something different for a change, if only to point out to the target audience how acting like butt just because you have money doesn't make you better than everyone else if you have NOTHING to really show for it! Same as Belson from Clarence, for another example of someone I hate whose like this, whether I'm supposed to or not.

This is exactly one of many reasons I despise the high school setting of not just this show, but most that do it... Even if I surprisingly like those shows. THIS is why I'd like to see more episodes away from there in the future, thank you very much.

Heck, the harder I think about it, I'll never understand why writers think all high school kids act this... Drone-like and stupid, as well. It's a route I don't enjoy seeing this show take - we don't need another social commentary on how much High School sucks - we know by now and it's been done to death... This is one of many reasons I can openly point out why I'm not enjoying this show as much as I wanted to so far, unlike Penn Zero, for example!

4. SaneMan

^ I would hate her, if she kept getting away with it
    But she doesn't, and generally ends-up being the episode's punching-bag
    Same with Belson

Also, I'll paraphrase a certain review (can't use a direct quote here, due to some raunchy language used in it)
    "You may hate the rich jerks, but you'll still love playing with their toys."

That's probably because humans in general are drone-like and stupid

5. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

It's done satirically on cartoons but it does happen in real life, only more subtle.

6. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Why would Brittney tell a girl who is known to have magic powers, "when pigs fly" rather than the obvious, "Never, ever?" Brittney apparently has not realized Star has a Drax like problem.

On her blog
    , there is a comic of what creator Daron Nefcy originally envisioned Star Butterfly as: a girl who has no magic powers and her adventures are only in the imagination. I remembered seeing a cartoon with a very similar premise to that a while ago called Mona the Vampire. I'm glad Star's personality changed to what it currently is. A lot of cartoons would have Star trying to keep knowledge of her magic powers away from Earth beings, but instead she readily uses them and is known for them. That's a different take from what most other cartoons would do.

Also, Daron voices a couple of characters: StarFan13 and Sabrina the cheerleader.

7. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

The fact she uses her power readily and is known for it, I'd say she's like Kim Possible in that sense. Also, that comic is pretty cool.

8. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Yeah I like that Marco isn't a secret keeper character. Everyone knows right off what Star is and no attempts are made to hide it.

9. I.R. Shokew

TBH - that's one more thing that does keep me interested in this show... No keeping secrets just for eventual drama or conflict to erupt, as shown by the better episodes and their world-building. This show actually aims to act like a cartoon - and an intelligent one at that for the respecting the audience well enough to not flip out at stuff that isn't normal - which Star and her background aren't, which is OK.

10. SweetShop209

Does anyone think Pony Head might make a reappearance?

11. SaneMan

^ seeing how she's in the intro, probably

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I also add that I think it's great that Star doesn't hide her origin and powers. It would've been horribly cliche, and would've made the show a bit more formulaic.
    All of a sudden I'm having flashbacks to shows produced by Marathon Media, because almost all of them have that as an element.

13. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

Though not directly related to Star, I noticed that Disney XD's press release for it's premire preformance neglected to include 9-14 ratings. Disney XD hasn't reported 9-14 ratings in a while and the offical
    "about Disney XD" section just says kids 6-11 now instead of kids 6-14. Anyone know the reason for this.

14. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Disney Channels | Disney | ABC Television Group

Looks like Disney is trying to differentiate their kid networks by target demographic. Disney Channel is for kids 6-14, Disney XD targets kids 6-11, and Disney Junior is made with kids 2-7 in mind.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, at least it's nice that Disney Channel and Disney XD are focusing on kids instead of specific genders.

16. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, but I resent the insinuation that cartoons can't be made to appeal to teens.

17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

6 - 11? I always thought XD should be the "edgier" Disney.

18. I.R. Shokew

THIS - it is quite sad and bad news, overall, to hear that, considering most cartoons aimed at teens that aren't legit action shows tend to be nothing but animated sitcoms or teen-angst nonsense over mundane stuff that even teens-to-be would roll their eyes at in favor of REAL cartoons, at least IMHO, since I really don't think like a kid does, but would like to think kids are bored after awhile of such trivial nonsense.

19. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Relax guys, these are target demographics, not suggested ages. Yeah, it's a little weird Dog with a Blog is considered more "mature" than Gravity Falls, but try telling that to advertisers. :p

20. SweetShop209

I just discovered something. I looked up Wikipedia. The voice actors for King Butterfly and Queen Butterfly are Alan Tudyk and Grey DeLisle respectively. They are also the voice actors for Ludo and Jackie Lynn Thomas. Who knew?