1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series Talkback Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by zoombie, Mar 30, 2015.

1. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

TBH, I've re-watched some of this latest episode; I've got to admit - while I still thought it was kinda stupid overall (seriously, Star does not need no 1D love interest!), Cheer Up Star did make me laugh once Marco was the one cheering up Star. And don't get me started on the fight scene, once they stopped building stupid, useless armor for themselves. I guess it also helps that that ending was pretty heartwarming.

Also, the second segment in particular afterward was just all around awesome and more of what I want to see out of this show, at least until we can get an actual story going, preferably at the season finale point, which is likely what's going to happen. I can only hope this show can keep it up from here - if only because I do want to like this show, but not by self-force, but by self-interest.

Here's hoping for the best going forward - and that we do get that story at some point. That'll really put this show over the top and truly make its praised deserved even more than it is already, IMHO.

2. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

OMG they did a flasher joke, I can't believe they got away from that.

I never noticed this, but Marco's parents are very good looking, Marco future might look bright. And the king he is hilarious.

As for the other cartoon, it was alright, Marco getting motion sickness and Star just being so happy go lucky and having no idea that girl hates her guts it was cool.

3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

The facial expressions on this show are classic.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

My feed broadcast a 10 minute ad break and cut off the first half of the second cartoon. Did that happen to everyone, or just the people watching with Sling TV?

I had no idea why Marco was sick. The cartoon just started and he was.

I'm gonna have to file a complaint with Sling. Their feeds of the Disney networks have been buggy since Day 1.

5. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

He gets car sick is what he said.

6. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

These episodes were pretty good.

I'm impressed "Diaz Family Vacation" got away with a public flasher joke. Way to get crap past the radar, Disney.

I noticed one thing that Star's dad, Marco's dad, and my dad have in common: they're all burly men. Marco should've gotten his dad a new sweat towel as a gift. Dude looks like he does massive workouts to maintain those muscles.

They really show how much Mr. and Mrs. Diaz love each other. It straddles the line between sweet and annoying depending on the situation.

Am I the only one who thinks that Brittney has a very punchable face? Throughout "Brittney's Party", I kept thinking "We get it, Britteny, you're a jerk. Remind us to punch to you in the face ten times more than usual.".

I'm also liking the fighting in this show. It's very satisfying.

7. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Diaz Family Vacation

Writers: Piero Piluso, Mike Yank, Zeus Cervas, Christopher Graham (Star Vs The Forces Of Evil)

Date: April 20, 2015

Synopsis: "After inviting the Diazes on a trip to Mewni as a last minute anniversary present, Star and Marco must save from a many headed serpent."

Well, it looks like Zeus Cervas is an official writer on this show. I mean, he's written 2 episodes so far. If that's not a sign he's now working on this show, I don't know what is. Anyway, I really like this one. For one, this episode takes place almost entirely on Mewni, which we haven't seen since the pilot. That's cool. It's definitely an interesting place with good animation to boot. Star's dedication to making the Diazes happy is pretty noble. At the same time, she has to hide them from her father, which adds more suspense. There are plenty of funny moments. Anyway, things get interesting Star and Marco think the Diazes were eaten by a serpent. We have a cool fight scene that shows how skilled they are. I also like the use of Chekov's Gun with Marco's fanny pack. We have Star's father come in, where he apparently fights monsters in his free time. He lets Star off the hook this one time, which definitely says something about his character. That ending solidified this as a good episode.

Brittney's Party

Writers: Jordana Arkin, Mike Mullen, Ian Wasseluk (Star Vs The Forces Of Evil)

Date: April 20, 2015

Synopsis: "Star must fight off Ludo and his army of monsters when they invade Brittney Wong's birthday party."

Now this is interesting. First off, I knew Star was well liked in school, but I did not think she was practically the popular kid. Anyway, I also like this episode. Brittney is a jerk, but at least she doesn't come out on top at the end. With her presence, I can see why this segment is shorter than the previous one. There's a lot of fun moments with the ways Star livens up the party. She's not being a jerk when she shows up Brittney, so she stays likable. The animation is pretty good, whether it's Star's dress or the design of the party bus. Anyway, things get interesting when Ludo gets involved. We get an awesome fight and an awesome chase scene to boot, which are both climactically fun. That ending is pretty funny. It's a good episode.

8. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Diaz Family Vacation: Seeing Star's dad has more depth than just being a stuffy-butt King character pleases me immensely. Too bad all that does is make me dislike Star's mom, because now I have leverage on who really wants to see Star sent off to St. Olga's. All I could think about at the end is "Wow, what a butt Star's mom is!", TBH. Real shame I feel that way, as this is on the better episodes of this show so far, despite its problems - like the fact that Star shouldn't have risked anyone's life to show her her dangerous homeworld like that, especially Marco's easily distracted and unfortunately oblivious parents... At least that twist at the end was funny enough and they were safe and sound at the end...

Brittney's Party: This particular episode just infuriates me, TBH - I mean on one hand, he have Star staying in character and effectively one-upping our 1D mean girl for he evening for being just that. Too bad all I could pay attention to was Marco being constantly sick and in pain. He seriously had no reason nor business for being in this episode, AT ALL, if all he was doing there was being the load, being sick like that. Easily my least favorite episode so far, despite its better moments and a decent fight scene (which I've come to expect of this show by now!) being there to close things out properly!

Yeah - I think I would have liked it if a new episode of Penn Zero had premiered alongside this for some effective compare/contrasting, IMHO - Something just felt empty about seeing this show premiere by itself... And the lack of premieres for either next month frustrates me to no end!

9. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

segment 1
    Mewni seems like a bit of a hell-hole, doesn't it?
    A disturbingly honest depiction of medieval society, with the added bonus of monsters.
    Ann in all a great episode, with more world traveling, Marco continues being competent, and Star's father gets some development.

segment 2
    This episode was much better than it had any right to be.
    I don't like Brittany, but I enjoy seeing her suffer, so this is always a plus.
    Also Brittany and Ludo seem to have hit it off pretty well. Guess we know where her alignment lies.

10. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I didn't think the flasher joke was too bad. It was revealed that he was wearing clothes afterwards. It would have only been bad if he really was naked.

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not to mention, Disney's done a flasher joke before, albeit in a movie (which was Hercules)

12. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Cute and Mean

I've seen similar jokes in other cartoons before too, usually with the "reveal" being they were just hiding some stupid object underneath and were otherwise clothed. Nothing that censor-evasive.

I love the expressions and character designs, but the writing is really noticeably poor. In the most recent episodes, Star is told not to return to Mewni but wants to show Marco's parents around there. Why is Star being banned from Mewni anyway? She's in constant danger both on Earth and Mewni it seems so it's not like they are hiding her or keeping her out of trouble or anything. There just isn't much urgency in these "Star's parents are going to punish her" plots because her parents are too idiotic to be taken seriously, and their intentions for Star seem unclear.

The Party Bus episode was funnier, but again same thing, the main villain shows up with his team of palookas and they get smacked around in comical ways. Trixie Tan- I mean, Brittany Wong is your typical stereotypical mean rich girl, and unlike Pacifica Northwest seems to have no redeeming factor or even motivation to be mean. She's just mean for the sake of it, and the other students take the abuse to their faces like champs... but why? I don't understand these mean popular characters, you don't normally maintain popularity by humiliating and abusing your peers. On the other hand, everyone seems to love Star, and that is actually a breathe of fresh air, since the main character at school is usually a loser and social outcast, in this case, Brittany was made into an outcast at her own party by Star's popularity, so her anger at Star could be understandable, it just wasn't articulated well.

The show is good but it needs more villains. It needs a bigger threat to Star other than "parents might flip out and send me to an evil school".

13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, the only time I know where it was a real flasher was in a Reboot episode. It was only shown from behind of course, and the one getting flashed reacted in horror.

I actually think Brittany Wong is a much better character than Trixie Tang. At least Marco's not in love with her in any way, and Brittany gets what's coming to her for being a jerk. Plus she's kind of funny too.

14. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

If Brittany Wong got her fortune told she would probably get the same result as Sokka did when he got his fortune told by Aunt Wu, she just someone that wants to be measurable, I forget exactly what Aunt Wu to Sokka, but that is my feelings for Brittany Wong, though I do have a soft spot for the character, stereotype mean girl character I hate, but her voice actress she got the shaft in that Michael Bay Turtles movie, so kind of glad she is getting some acting work.

Though I do like that girl Macro has a crush on, she seemed nice, she reminds me of Wendy from Gravity Falls, but without the creepiness factor that I felt with Dipper's feelings for Wendy, Macro and Jackie are the same age, so it is cool, I can support that and get behind that, and voiced by the great Grey DeLisle makes me like her even more.

15. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

16. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Most new shows have substantial declines from premiere ratings, so that is not unusual. Note that it and Randy Cunningham both had a 0.1 Adults 18-49 rating. It did substantially better than Randy with total viewers, so that means Star performed better in the target demographics.

17. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Toonami cracks a million from time to time. I wouldn't call these good ratings compared to CN, but XD is in fewer homes.

18. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Well Trixie was a three dimensional character in her first two appearances, "A Wish to Far" and "The Boy Who Would Be Queen", but for whatever reason, they decided to regress her character to be one dimensional.

19. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Trixie was actually a much better written character at first, before she degenerated into a stereotype during season 4

Brittany is one dimensional from the start, and I think they now confirmed her to be evil now.
    But at least the fact that she's mostly a punching bag makes her bearable

20. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I wonder why these episodes are so short. The most current episode didn't even clock in at 21 minutes.