1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Trek" General Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Antiyonder, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Note: While the majority of my post cover credits and covers for the material I read, this Talkback is for discussion on any Trek related comic and the manga styled stories. If there's a current Trek comic you want to talk about, do so.

Space... the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds; to seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Story: Some of them are original stories. Some of them expand on the canon material, or are an adaptation of existing material. Regardless, the voyages continue, whether it's with Captain Pike, Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko or Captain Janeway.

Comments?

2. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Not included in your above list, but what I read was mostly the DC "Star Trek" titles----which mostly consisted of one book for the original series, and another for Star Trek:TNG.

Between lack of interest in Voyager and Enterprise, and only watching the recent Star Trek film out of fan curiosity, but still not sold on the premise that it needs a DC Comics-style reboot----I won't be in line for any of the sequels--- I haven't read any Trek comics in years. Seen the bookstore was selling manga-styled Trek books, which doesn't surprise me per how popular manga is these days (though I prefer Kirk and company drawn American-style).

-B.

3. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

Star Trek is what got me into comic books, believe it or not. My first comic was DC's Star Trek: The Next Generation #3, December 1989. For a long time the only comics I read were DC's Trek canon. They were consistently smart and intriguing, and enjoyed the longest run of any Trek property in comics.

I've followed Star Trek in comics ever since then, from Malibu to Marvel to WildStorm and now to IDW. No company after DC has quite done such a good job, IMO, although there have been great stories here and there. Malibu had some good DS9 stories like "Requiem" that captured the feel of that particular series. Starfleet Academy was easily the most worthwhile read from Marvel's late-90's canon. It had original characters, but still held the soul of Star Trek and ran a good arcing storyline.

Star Trek: Countdown, released earlier this year, is the perfect companion piece to the new Star Trek movie, and the film's writers co-wrote the story for it. That's probably partly why it stands out among the past decade of comics material. Nero gets some actual characterization and the plot plays out like I'm really watching a movie, not reading a comic book.

I'm happy that IDW is hiring better and better artists for its Trek mini-series. Countdown, Intelligence Gathering and Year Four: The Enterprise Experiment had a great visual style. The writing differs depending on the mini-series. It ranges from barely-above-fanfic quality to just-below-genuine-Trek-teleplay quality. Some writers capture the characters' voices perfectly. Others just tell boring stories that go nowhere and say nothing, while trying to pretend they went somewhere and said something.

The one-shot/mini-series formula WildStorm and IDW adhere(d) to may be frustrating for some, but I like it because it gives us different perspectives on the vast landscape of the Trek universe, and changes up the writing and art so that we can get quality stuff every now and then, as opposed to being stuck with two or three ongoing series with mediocre writing and art. It also helps keep IDW from going crazy by simultaneously publishing one monthly series for every Trek incarnation like Marvel attempted.

Oddly enough, half the stories in the most recent Star Trek manga were drawn by American artists. One story looks nothing like any manga artist has ever drawn, and it looks terrible by any standard. (They even hired the guy back to draw a story for the Next Generation manga. His art is so bad it's offensive.)

My favorite manga story is the final one of the first volume, wherein the Enterprise is attacked by a squadron of mobile suits. It was drawn by a genuine manga artist, and was everything I had ever dreamed in a comic combining Star Trek and manga. One of the suits even drives its sword through the bridge dome and through the viewscreen. And on top of it all, the story had a meaningful message worthy of classic Trek and manga alike.

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I have complete sets of both of DC's Star Trek volumes, and the Next Generation ongoing (sold the miniseries a few months back). I have a few issues of Marvel's Star Trek Unlimited, and I have a number of other items on hand. In fact, the Trek lot makes up the bulk of what I have left that I'm trying to sell now that I've retired from collecting.

The first DC series also marked the writing debut of Walter Koenig (Chekov). It was a wonderful 1-shot story. Why the DC books weren't on the list at the start of this thread, I don't know.

Marvel's 2nd go-round with Trek was plagued by less than perfect artwork and deadline issues. I recall the Telepathy War "event" had so many problems with deadlines (Voyager was persistently late, and I'm told it was due to Paramount suits), it ruined the fabric of the story. Oh, they tried to be cute and released an issue of Starfleet Academy that had a variant where the script was entirely in Klingon, or something like that. I eventually sold off my Academy set.

I didn't see the new movie, don't have much interest in it, and I'd rather cherish the classics of the past.

5. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

Well, aside from DC's original run of Star Trek from '83 to '88 (or so), my favorite Trek comics were Starfleet Academy and Early Voyages when Marvel had the license again during the late '90s. Both had the luxury of not being tied down to actual TV shows, which meant they had characters that could killed off or written off as their stories demanded. There was reportedly even a third ongoing non-TV title in the works but never saw the light of day...

6. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

Just getting into Star Trek comics, what is good?

I've gotten into Star Trek because of IDW's new series. So far I've bought "ST: Countdown" (hardcover), and I'm reading "ST:TNG Ghosts" and "ST: Nero" series. I haven't yet read the one that takes place between TAS and TMP but I want to (can't remember the title at the moment, but it's a recent IDW release).

I'm a HUGE Trekkie, and I've seen all the movies and the entire TOS, most of TNG and a lot of DS9/VOY/ENT. I have TAS on DVD. Novel-wise, I've read Best Destiny and Spock's World (my library is short on ST books). But I'm a total newbie to the comics, and I know comics can be a mixed bag (especially 80s/90s titles).

So what do y'all recommend? I've seen the Omnibus collections (one of which has a fight between Kirk and Pike) and various other old reprints, but I don't know which are worth buying and which aren't.

Help would be nice. :sweat:

7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Try to find the ones written by Peter David. I know he worked on the DC series in the 80s and he might have done others. Here's a collection of his work.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo..._-Star Trek Archives Volume 1-_-9781600102424

Also, for giggles, you may want to check out the early Dell books. Those were handed off to European artists who had never actually seen the show, so they're all full of oddities like 50s-style rocket-shaped landing craft.

It's kind of hard to make good recommendations here. I like Star Trek and I like comics, but the intersection never really clicked for me for some reason.

8. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

Antiyonder made a nice thread not too long ago, so I'm merging this thread with that one.

9. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I like his work, although I'm only familiar with his novels (I'm reading one of his right now, actually).

Comic wise, I really want to get Countdown. I've heard good things about it.

10. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

11. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So was Captain Archer purposely left out, or does that just mean there were no Star Trek: Enterprise comics? Because I would have been interested in those.

12. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

As far as I know, there are no STE comics. If anyone can prove otherwise, go for it.

13. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

14. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I can confirm that there were never any comics based on Enterprise. Marvel had lost the license before Enterprise launched, and there was some time lag before Wildstorm, and then IDW, took it over.

15. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Weren't Kurtzman and Orci involved in some capacity?

16. Temple Fugate

Mission's End.

They got "story" credit, which could mean anything between 1) they sent a few notes about where the story has to end up by the end of issue 4, and 2) they went all the way to specify what characters appear in Countdown, in what capacity, the entire backstory for the Nero character, and the course of events that play out. I prefer to think of it as closer to 2, considering how knowledgeable those two are when it comes to canon and their comments regarding their love of the TNG characters in several interviews and the foreword to the TPB of the mini-series.

For IDW titles, I would recommend checking out Star Trek: Year Four: The Enterprise Experiment, written by D.C. Fontana. It's probably the best TOS comic I've read that captured the feel of the original/animated series. (Kind of helps that it was done by a staff writer.)

I also think everyone should check out at least the first volume of the Tokyopop Star Trek Manga, "Shinsei Shinsei," just because it's so ridiculously great. Or if you prefer TNG, get the TNG volume. Its second and fourth stories are pretty fantastic.

I grew up with the DC TNG series. I own every issue of the regular series, though when it came to the specials and the minis there are a few gaps. I re-read several stories over the years, but I can't quite judge from memory how good they all were. I'm pretty confident there were several great stories that embodied the intellectual nuance of the show. For instance, issue 13 features Chief O'Brien telepathically coerced into assassinating a visiting political figure. The way he figures out how to warn the crew and prevent him from killing anyone was pretty clever. IDW has a Borg Omnibus out, featuring the "Worst of Both Worlds" story from issues 47-50. That's also a nice read, as it explores what the Federation could have been like after Locutus' successful assimilation of Earth. I THINK that's one of the Peter David stories, but I can't be certain.

The one drawback to STTNG comics is that there is dialogue upon dialogue, and rarely do we see any action sequences. This kind of goes against the mainstream notion of what comic books are all about. When Marvel re-acquired the license, there was an increase in action-oriented plotlines, and for the most part they were as good as the intellectual intrigue of DC's ST and STTNG titles. If you can track down some cheap copies, I also recommend the entire Starfleet Academy run from late-90's Marvel. That was a great example of how to make a comic that FELT like a comic while embodying the spirit of Star Trek.

Wildstorm was hit-and-miss. I still don't know what to make of DS9: N-Vector. There were a few nice ones like All of Me, a TOS story with fantastic art, though it had a strange twist ending that seemed like the writer expected to get to do more TOS stories along that vein and never got the chance. The Gorn Crisis was the first of two painted graphic novels Wildstorm released, written by Kevin J. Anderson. I actually didn't like the story very much, and the art fluctuated between "frame this page on a wall" and "what, did he only spend ten minutes making this?" However for the novelty of Star Trek's first painted graphic novel, it's a cool book to have. DO NOT GET THE SECOND NOVEL, FORGIVENESS, YOU WILL ONLY CRY.

An "excellent" Star Trek comic is rare. I know there are many out there I forgot to mention (or have never even read). I heard the recent Romulans mini-series by John Byrne was good, though as the Romulans don't interest me, I won't be picking it up. It's definitely best to save your money and read stories based on recommendations than just buying every single thing hoping you enjoy it all. I burned through money (my parents' money, which just makes me feel worse now) during Marvel's onslaught of Star Trek: Early Voyages, Star Trek: Unlimited, Star Trek: DS9, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Starfleet Academy. All monthly titles! And that doesn't even count the mini-series and specials that were constantly coming out. I barely even go back to read them, as most of those stories weren't worth it to begin with. Nowadays I just wait to see how an IDW mini-series is regarded and then buy it when it comes out in TPB.

17. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

Okay, great. Thanks for the help, guys.

Though one more question: are the Marvel reprints in the IDW Omnibus collections actually worth reading? Because I know Marvel from that age was hit and miss, especially with franchises.

18. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

Some of the issues I read in the first omnibus were enjoyable, while others were so-so. If you want some insurance, you could try to convince your library to order them (which is what I did).

19. Temple Fugate

Vol. 1, which collects the 80's Marvel series, can probably be avoided. I found a bunch of these old issues when I was younger and was very disappointed by the silly writing and sloppy art. In some panels, the Enterprise looks like a garbage can lid attached to flashlights with toothpicks. The stories were highly original, but IMO far beyond the ridiculousness of the original series to be considered plausible canon. I know there were a couple good stories in the bunch, but then there were stories like Captain Kirk being possessed by a pseudo-Egyptian pharaoh's spirit and attacking Spock and McCoy with Egyptian statues and things. It made "I AM KIROK" sound like Shakespeare.

Vol. 2, which collects all of the late 90's Early Voyages, is much more worth your time and your dime. I liked a lot of those issues, particularly the second half of the series which began to pick up a continuity. The stories felt fresh, taking the characters established in "The Cage" and making them actual established people. The series even went so far as to cast Pike's original yeoman for the first handful of issues before killing him off. (An incident that was vaguely referred to in "The Cage.") Unfortunately, Marvel canceled the series in the middle of a story arc--as they dropped the Star Trek license altogether--so if you do check this book out be prepared to be left hanging.

20. Antiyonder

Staff Member Moderator

1. Have any of the DC runs been collected? Also, I have my eye on several Star Trek Unlimited issues that I could use an opinion on:

#7 which contains a full crossover between Kirk and Picard's crew.

#10 which has TNG crew on Sigma Lotia (and as such a follow up to the OS episode A Piece of Action). Interesting note is that a similar story was planned for Deep Space Nine before they used the story as seen in Trials and Tribble-Ations.

2. Also, do the movie adaptations contain a lot of unused material? Or are they highly similar to the movies they are based off of?