1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Trek: Discovery" Season One Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by PicardMan, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I don't have another premium subscription. I do these things one at a time. I signed up for Showtime for Twin Peaks, and once that was done, I canceled it. I'm doing the same thing with All Access and Star Trek. I'm actually going to cancel between the month long mid-season break. If Star Trek is not going to air a new episode in December I don't need the service and I'm not going to pay for it. Subscribing to these services one at a time to get caught up on stuff makes it quite affordable.

Edit: Also, I don't do piracy. I think it sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

That's a fair approach. I might consider taking a break from Netflix for a month at some point down the road to get caught up on Discovery.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Star Trek: Discovery "Context Is For Kings"

This was quite good.. It hit all of the right notes, and shows that even the TV-MA episodes are not going to be too tough to take. I am still a little unclear as to why that was TV-MA. Hannibal showed more gruesome stuff happening to live people on a weekly basis, and was TV-14. A couple of gross corpses don't quite rate to that.

Love that Lorca has a Tribble. Harry Mudd foreshadowing?

Interesting that this says that Burnham and Spock were actually raised together by Sarek and Amanda. Which raises questions about why Spock never mentioned he had a human adopted sister. Perhaps because she was the first mutineer in Starfleet history, he was ashamed of her.

Andorians were also mentioned.

Tilly is a bit obnoxious, but so was Barclay. I'm sure I'll get used to her eventually too. I love the idea that Starfleet has Aspies among them. Barclay sort of hinted that that was what was going on, but this makes the spectrum thing a bit more explicit.

Saru continues to be cooler than cool, and I laughed at Lorca telling Stamets that Saru just called Burnham smarter than him. Great line.

Speaking of which, I love the Kilingon putting his finger to his lips, and Stamets asking, "Did he just shush me?" I love that because that was the last thing I expected the Klingon to do.

I'm going to like this series, and I'm totally willing to pay 6 bucks a month for it. ****1/2.

4. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I love the look/feel of the show, that it feels distinctly different from past Trek shows. But I wish they'd slow down the pacing, better develop things, and spend more time with the characters.

Right. And how big is this spore thing gonna end up being, because it also seems odd we'd have no mention of that, either. Has me wondering to what degree they care about how this fits in with shows set in the future.

It bothers me that a huge deal is made of this mutiny, while it took up minutes at most of screen time. Again, wish they'd given a lot of this more room to breathe (or left it in backstory/flashbacks to allow the bulk of the first 3 episodes to develop the Discovery crew and its situation.

So my free trial was still in effect yesterday, giving me a chance to see it. But that'll be it for me for the near future. I definitely want to see more. But I'm far from impressed with the plotting, pacing, and writing. From a quality perspective, I don't find it worth $6/month so far just for Discovery.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Star Trek: Discovery "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not For The Lamb's Cry"

This episode was a dud. I get messing with the Starfleet premise, but this episode shows that even Star Trek still doesn't get how to humanely treat animals. I'd call it a recent problem, but this has effected all five previous series too. Ironically, it is Seth MacFarlane's The Orville which gets the morality of caging animals better than Star Trek ever did. But Star Trek should NOT still be this backwards about the subject in 2017. No excuses, like the earlier Treks had.

And how stupid is the security guard? After seeing what that thing did last episode, she lets it out of the cage to attack it with zero plan or back-up from a team of armed guards. And then Lorca stupidly tells Burnham "Don't let her death be in vain". As if it was Burnhum's fault that chick won a Darwin Award. What Lorca seemed to be saying is, "Whatever you do, make sure to do the same damn thing the dumbass security guard did that got her killed. We wouldn't want to insult her memory by acting intelligent."

And can I just say how much the Klingons suck? I get the producers are trying to make them like Trumpistas, but that just makes them worse. The Klingons were not freaking cannibals on the old show, and even if the entire honor thing was actually only observed by Worf and Martok, and that's it, it still existed. If was still a Klingon ideal, whether the Klingons lived up to it or not. And entire Klingon ship betraying its captain for food shows how badly this version of them suck. Why does Star Trek think I want to see Donald Trump inspired Klingons? Why does that @$$hat get to ruin Star Trek the way he has ruined real-life? He only has that power if Star Trek lets him.

And finally, I have to say Georgiou's will absolutely sucked. I get that it was supposed to, but those were the absolute worst chosen words for someone who wound up doing what Burnham did. I get that Burnham needs to be punished for how bad her actions were. But does it need to be this relentless and non-stop? We get it, already. She's filled with regret. Can we move on?

If the first two weeks were sort of a prequel, and last week the second Pilot, this is the first episode in which the show is in a routine and shows us what to expect on weekly basis. And alarmingly, it's the first episode I outright disliked. I am officially worried. *.

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Star Trek Discovery “Choose Your Pain”

Harry Mudd! Rainn Wilson did a pretty good job there.

Saru was very unlikable this episode.

I loved Stamets crazily laughing when he woke up.

First F-bombs in Star Trek history. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

Tilly seems to be rocking a major zit on her forehead.

Archer, April, Pike, and Decker were all listed on the screen with Gourgiou as some of the greatest Starfleet Captains ever. Excellent Easter Egg.

Good episode this week. ****.