1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Trek: Discovery" Season One Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by PicardMan, Sep 20, 2017.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Let's discuss season 1. We have the first Star Trek show in over a decade. Are fans happy enough to break out the Romulan ale and celebrate or are they taking out their phasers and threatening CBS? Discuss.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 PicardMan, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2017
  2. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Very underwhelmed by episode 1. I signed up for the 1 week trial so I can see episode 2, and I'll watch it tomorrow, but not impressed so far.

Didn't find it appealing visually. And felt too claustrophobic.

Uninteresting story with little punch or energy much. Felt like some stupid character decision-making to get them in a pinch, and then forced tension between characters at the very end.

Didn't find any of the characters engaging either.

If episode 2 isn't much better, I suppose the plus is that I won't be too bummed about it only being available by subscription.

Can't imagine episode 1 drawing people in to subscribe to All Access.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Star Trek: Discovery "Vulcan Hello"

This was not as great as the buzz indicated, but it WAS great enough to confirm that I will be temporarily be subscribing to CBS All Access when this is in season. It's the same thing with Showtime and Twin Peaks, so I really shouldn't be resisting it. I've done this before.

I feel if they are going to be using the original timeline, the show should stick closer to what is established. What's alarming is that the show has Bryan Fuller and Joe Menosky as writers, no Star Trek novices themselves. But that was unlike any Klingon funeral I have ever heard of or seen, and it strikes me as odd, because the established lore would have worked just as well for the scene. I also hate the new make-up because one of the few good things about Enterprise, is that they made in-continuity explanations for the different make-up on TOS and Next Gen, and this kind of obliterates that. They hint this is a Lost House, and that there are like 26 in operation, but I'd like to see a few Houses with TNG type Klingons, and some with those suffering from the Augment Virus. Also the new uniforms look ludicrous. They look like what Shinzon wore in Nemesis, which makes them more Romulan than Klingon.

I like Number One, but I sincerely hope they aren't saying this is the same character from "The Cage". It's bad enough accepting a recast for Sarek, but at least James Frain resembles him in the make-up. I like Number One a lot. I hope they do not tie her to Majel Barrett at ALL, because this is not the Kelvin Timeline, and even if it were, I still objected to Star Trek Into Darkness changing Khan's entire race, and for the same reasons.

Still cool to get a black female lead. About time for this franchise. I like her, Discovery. Don't make her Majel Barrett's character, and give me reasons I shouldn't.

The theme song sucks, and I'm a little surprised at how much it does. It's not as bad as Enterprise, (of course) but it's like an instrumental without a driven melody. Every single Star Trek theme before this was hummable. Frankly, if I'm being honest, so was Enterprise. This does not feel like a Star Trek theme at all. On the plus side, the opening title visuals are quite good, which is important too.

This is unlike any other Star Trek in that I felt unsatisfied by where we left things. DS9 rocked the cliffhangers, but this is the first freaking episode, and serialized storytelling done THIS bluntly right out of the gate will take getting used to. As it stands, the episode feel unfinished. That makes a certain kind of sense, because this is a season long story, but even previous Star Trek cliffhangers during the serialized arcs on DS9 and Enterprise, felt like actual good stopping points until the next week. Here the credits simply start to roll when things are starting to get interesting.

I predict the Captain is gonna killed hard and soon. Because this is NOT the Discovery, and Michelle Yeoh is a guest star. My guess is next week, the attack turns out to be a disaster, and the only survivors of whatever mess it's gonna be are Number One and that weird alien looking guy. When the Captain says the Federation never fires first, the first thing that popped into my head was, "When they go low, we go high." These people are so absolutely screwed, because they are treating the situation as normal. Big mistake.

Can't wait to see the rest of the season. Interesting premiere that whet my appetite for more. ****.

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Star Trek: Discovery "Battle At The Binary Stars"

Nothing that happened in this episode was too much of a surprise, but the ending felt better and more earned than the last episode. To be honest, I'm much more interested in what comes next.

Decent. ***1/2.

#4 Fone Bone, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  5. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I didn't find it nearly good enough to want to subscribe. I signed up for the 1 week trial, so I will check out episode 2. Probably tonight. But I'm very unimpressed so far.

The Klingons screaming was consistent with what we saw from Worf in TNG, such as after K'Ehleyr's death. The aesthetic is more modern, as this is 2017, so I don't think there's any issue there. They seemed to have drawn some inspiration from the Klingons in Star Trek Into Darkness. I don't have a problem with any of that. I'm more concerned about the scenes being boring.

I don't see any reason why we'd expect her to be tied to Pike's first officer. Picard also called his first officer, Riker, "Number One". Fuller did say its an homage to Pike's first officer. But its not the same character.

I'd say its much better than Enterprise's theme, and maybe the best thing about this new show so far.

I'm sure this was very intentional as they're wanting to hook people and get them to sign up for All Access. So from that standpoint, it makes sense. I expected a cliffhanger, and that in itself doesn't bother me. But getting to that point felt somewhat forced and not particularly interesting. I didn't find myself all that invested in the characters to care or feel any sense of stakes.

Right. I'd say the whole ship probably goes down.

"Normal" is not the word that comes to my mind. It was almost as though they'd never been in space before and never had a single dangerous encounter (or somehow did not know there'd ever been dangerous situations encountered by past vessels). I found their decision-making bizarre and, frankly, ridiculous. Especially if this is an experienced crew, which was more than implied given the amount of time Michael had served with the Captain.

I'll watch the second episode, but I have no plans to sign up for All Access. Unless the second episode is much better, I may not end up missing much.

6. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Time for me to comment. I found it interesting how the Klingons in the first episode seemed almost like Minbari from Babylon 5 ripoffs (complete with mention of a warrior caste). The whole war started by a (maybe) misunderstanding also seemed out of the Babylon 5 playbook. The beacon incident seemed like an awkward way to have a conflict as the Klingons could have sent a "do not disturb" message when the Shenzou crew got too close. That is, unless the Klingons wanted the Federation to disturb the beacon as a silly excuse for war. As for the decision-making, if the Klingons were going to attack, they sure took their sweet time to ensure the whole conflict/debate. I wonder why the Shenzou didn't just fly off at warp speed away from those Klingon ships and ask for reinforcements to guard Klingon space. I still hate the new Klingon armor. I hate the theme song. The visuals were pretty neat by TV standards and I liked the Saroo/Michael conversation about fear of the unknown vs curiosity. There was some of the sense of Star Trek in the first episode, but I don't imagine much trekking from here on out. Overall, I felt like there wasn't anything groundbreaking enough for me to subscribe, but this show was competently-made.

7. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

It's six bucks a month for the basic service with commercials. That's much less than a movie at the theater. I am not going to subscribe to this service all the time, but while Star Trek is running, it's not a big deal at all.

8. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Depends on how one looks at it. A lot of options for how we spend our hard-earned money. If we're making a comparison to movies, I'd rather pay $10/month for Movie Pass to get a bunch of theater viewings every month than $6 bucks/month for a show I didn't find very good based on its first episode.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I personally think the movie theater experience sucks in every way you can think of. I much prefer getting my entertainment in the comfort of my own home. 6 bucks is fine for me for that. Not having to put up with crowds and talking is preferable to me. I would never bother seeing movies in theaters at all if I was confident I could avoid all spoilers until the Blu-Ray release.

10. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Gotcha. Let's just say I didn't find anything about the first episode nearly worth $6. I'll see if the second changes my mind.

11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The second one is worse than the first, but it also hints that the upcoming episodes are going to be much better. Another reason six bucks a month don't bother me none.

12. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Oh my gosh. We only have three users and one page worth of commenting on a new Star Trek show? I thought there would be much more discussion considering that this is a Star Trek show.

13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

It just debuted last night. There will be more reviews forthcoming, although I cannot predict if more Toon Zone members will join the discussion.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I watched the first episode on CBS last night. It was a pilot all right. It was ok, not great. If it was on TV, I'd probably tune in and watch.

The tension at the end -- eh. They worked together for 7 years, they shouldn't be questioning Burnham at this point. I'm still on the fence about all these subscription platforms, so I'm undecided if I'm going to keep watching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

I only came here to gush over the Power Rangers SPD crossover fanfic :zim:

• Like Like x 1
  16. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

That was exactly my feeling. Even before the end of episode 1, I was having a difficult time buying into those two knowing each other for 7 years. I don't think the writing or the performances captured that well at all. I thought of Picard/Riker at the end of 7 years together, and Sisko/Kira. Kirk/Spock. It's very difficult to imagine a mutiny situation coming up in relationships such as those where the two have worked together for so long and know each other so well. I also found it bizarre that they encounter an unknown object in space and their approach ends up being launching the first officer in a space suit right at it. Again, after 7 years experience out there, I'd expect a much more sensible approach to such an encounter. There was too much that felt like a writing approach of "hey, this would be very cool!" and then back tracking to contrive a reason for it to happen.

Now, I checked out episode 2 last night and found it far better. I think if CBS had aired them together on the network as a two-hour premiere, I probably would have had less criticism of the first half. Not that episode 2 eliminates what we were talking about above. But...it does pull the first half up and gives it more...well, a sense of completion. As part of a large whole, it works better.

Given that they're wanting people to sign up for All Access, I'm surprised they didn't show both episodes on CBS on opening night. I really hope that doesn't cost them viewership. Episode 1 alone was truly underwhelming, while combined with episode 2 is much more palatable and less problematic. I caught some of the after show, also, and the writer/producer who was on even commented that the first two episodes were meant to be a "prologue" to the rest of the show. So why split that up? Why not give viewers that best chance to see what the show is about by giving them a little more. TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT all had two-hour premieres. Why chop DSC's in half? Headscratcher.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

What seems inexplicable is that Samurai Jack got 8 pages of discussion during its debut episode. There's hardly anything here.

18. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The thing is that this is an animation board, so the cartoons are always going to have bigger talkbacks. The Cartoon Network / Adult Swim talkbacks are some of the biggest on the board, so it makes sense they have more people discussing it.

I imagine the Pilot of Discovery broke whatever Star Trek websites are out there.

19. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Ratings news. Discovery broke 9.6 million viewers. I wonder if the excuse of "nobody would watch a space opera show live" holds any water. Of course, being a one-time event probably helped raise the ratings. I wish CBS would look at these ratings and considering airing the show on TV, but they already crossed the Rubicon and would lose their subscribers. TV has been devoid of non-rerun space operas for years (excepting Orville). http://programminginsider.com/network/star-trek-discovery-sampled-9-6-million-viewers-cbs-sunday/

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

21. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Oh yeah. Fans will be watching all right, just not the way CBS wants. They should have seen this coming. Put more stuff on CBS All Access to convince us it's worth it. For those with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and better service subscriptions, why would we want to add yet another $6 for one show.