1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Trek: Discovery" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by ShadowGUN, Nov 2, 2015.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I'd love a Star Trek cartoon, but it seems so unlikely considering how many decades it's been since the last one.

2. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Or a new Star Trek animated show can air on Nickelodeon, given that the franchise is owned by both CBS and Paramount, even after the 2006 Viacom split and that both companies are divisions of National Amusements.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I know. I was telling another fan at the Chicago convention that I wasn't planning on subscribing, and she said "So you're boycotting the show." I was trying to explain to her that it wasn't like that at all. Like you, Discovery would be the only reason for me to pay the monthly fee and it makes no sense to pay $7-10 a month for only one show. I'm frustrated in general that a trend is developing of everyone having their own subscription service. Netflix made sense because it was a lot of content in one place. With Disney pulling their stuff for their own service, and CBS doing theirs, and all the others...cord cutting makes no sense if we're paying 10 different groups a monthly fee.

Yeah, I'd guess they'd try to prevent that in some way. I was already annoyed by them offering a free month's trial, and touting Discovery in the process, but offering it more than a month before the show premiered. And a week trial a week before the show. Sorry, but no. Again, Discovery is the only thing I'm interested in there, so what the hell is the point of a free trial without it.

• Like Like x 1
    #143 DarkAngel, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  4. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

There is no way I'm paying for Cbs all access that network is pure garbage only other programming I'd watch is there late night shows.

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

In theory, the idea of CBS All Access seems like a deal to some degree. However, it is not ALL ACCESS just yet.
    *MODS let me know if this is okay in this thread, or if their is a better thread for this discussion topic.

PROS:

They allow live programming streams.

They did strike a deal with the National Football League to air their games.

They currently have exclusive shows like The Good Wife spin-off The Good Fight and Big Brother: Over the Top.

They also have older CBS/Paramount content like like Star Trek, Cheers, MacGyver, Twin Peaks and some CSI. One thing they have a step up on other online-subscribers is behind-the-scenes featurettes and bonus content.

They also have a limited selection of films from Paramount and Samuel Goldwyn Entertainment.

CONS:

The NFL Games can be blacked out on non-Verizon Wireless devices.

Not all shows or films that were archived are completely owned by CBS/PARAMOUNT/VIACOM, which means they may not be on there.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

#145 the greenman, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

CBS All Access seems like a terrible business model because what's to stop a mass exodus of subscribers once Discovery's first season ends? They need more apps or people are going to cancel their subscriptions in the off season only to renew them when Discovery comes back. If they go with the expiring episodes system, that would greatly anger many fans who were on the fence and only subscribed later into the shows run. With it being serialized, expired episodes would be plot critical. The only reason Discovery's whole first season isn't out all at once is so people don't binge watch it all at once and then unsubscribe. They can get about four months worth of subscribers by only showing it week to week. I'm wondering if we'll see expiring episodes implemented or not for Discovery because of the continuity lockout issue?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Now, CBS All Access has been out for at least several months, right? I wonder how they're doing. I know they're hoping for Discovery to give it a boost, but perhaps they're doing well enough so far...I don't know.

An additional potential issue for them is Fox having The Orville on, and out already. Haven't seen it yet myself, but since I won't be on Access, I probably will turn to that. Great timing and planning on Fox's part, and I wonder how many viewers Discovery will lose to them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

9. PF9

PF9 Member

The reasons why I suggested CN are:

1. To replace CN's loss of Star Wars cartoon rights to DXD

2. CBS and Time Warner have interacted in other areas, notably their co-ownership of the CW and their joint broadcast rights to March Madness

10. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Yes, but I feel Nickelodeon would be a better option because:

1. Viacom owns both Nickelodeon and Paramount plus both Viacom and CBS are divisions of National Amusements even after the 2006 split.

2. Reruns of Star Trek: The Animated Series were shown on Nickelodeon.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1