1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Trek: Discovery" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by ShadowGUN, Nov 2, 2015.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Yeah, that's the type of outfit he would wear. He's one of the more interesting aspects of Discovery.

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Details on Burnham's skill set

3. ToonLoon

ToonLoon Member

You know that does sound useful for a First Officer...on a show where they explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations. But it looks like we are getting a season of Klingons and exploiting our alien expert's negative experiences with them in her childhood for drama.

4. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

This show is supposed to introduce a few new species or two to the Star Trek universe. I hope they are interesting. After all, the aliens have always been one of Star Trek's big draws.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

6. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

TV-MA? I didn't expect the show to be that much darker and edgier. Will the preview of the first episode on CBS be censored?

7. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, their were two rumors about an alien race who were nude and another episode featuring profanity and it's implications and such.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8/29: The producers are already planning seasons 2 and 3. They "have a road map for season two and the beginnings of one for season three."

9/5: NYCC panel on October 7
    3:45 PM - 4:45 PM
    The Theater at Madison Square Garden

This fall on CBS All Access, Star Trek: Discovery follows the voyages of Starfleet on their missions to discover new worlds and new life forms, while learning that to truly understand all things alien, you must first understand yourself. The iconic television franchise, which first launched over 50 years ago, continues to remain true to its roots, and Starfleet’s steadfast ideals of adventure, an earnest pursuit for exploration, and the hope that we can all come together for a better tomorrow. Join members of the cast, alongside the creative minds behind the new series for a panel conversation on Star Trek: Discovery.

9. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I wonder how the show will keep it's exploration elements while being serialized. Doing a "planet of the week" type story is quite hard unless all planets visited tie to the arc. This could be like the Xindi arc, where half the episodes dealt with going to other planets to learn about the Xindi (only with Discovery, we won't have the crappy standalone episodes of Enterprise season 3). Also, replace Xindi with Klingons. I'm guessing and hoping this could be the Xindi arc done right, but there's not much logical reason for optimism. My human emotion has gotten ahead of me and I need to do Vulcan meditation to ensure I can keep an objective mindset and not have my wishes for a great show yet my fears of disappointment overwhelm me.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

11. the greenman

Between DS9 and Enterprise, the Mirrorverse kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Probably a familiarity breeds contempt situation. I much rather see them pull it off on the big screen.

• Like Like x 1
    #131 the greenman, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2017
  12. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I've actually regained interest because of the Mirror Broken mini-series that's coming out which focuses on the TNG crew.

13. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

How is the mirror universe going to tie into the arc considering the no stand alone episodes promise?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

15. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

It seems we will have melodramatic titles in the style of the original series. I approve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. the greenman

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"
    "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"

17. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Maybe. At the convention, Frakes commented on Discovery going to the Mirror Universe, but that was it. He didn't provide any other details. And while he did say he has directed for Discovery, and other TNG cast members referenced him directing (and therefore being the only one of them who could comment meaningfully on the new show), there was no mention of what the content of Frakes episode(s) involved.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it. I enjoyed the Mirror episodes, especially "Crossover" and "Shattered Mirror" from DS9 and part 1 of Enterprise's foray there. I'm curious as to where they'll go with it.

If they somehow do tie the Mirror episode in with the overall arc, I'll be impressed. I'm more intrigued now at the thought of that.

Also, are 1 or 2 episodes premiering on CBS? I'm still doubting I'll be signing up for All Access, so I'm wondering how much I'll get to see.

• Like Like x 1
  18. the greenman

Yeah, I read the same thing, so we don't know if Frakes did that one.
    Really though. I agree. I better give it some time for reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Most of what I've heard is that we'll only get one. As for All Access, it's aggravating that CBS thinks people will pay a monthly fee just one hyped show (there's apparently one other original, but no one on the Internet is talking about it). I wonder if it's possible to just subscribe around the time of the season finale and binge watch, thus, only having to pay the monthly fee for one month. I'm worried that episodes might expire to circumvent users exploiting this tactic.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PF9

PF9 Member

TV-MA is a first for the franchise (which has never had its movies above PG-13).

Which is interesting because I'd also like a new Star Trek cartoon on Cartoon Network as a collaboration between CBS TV Studios and CN Studios (which I'd like set in the Kelvin Timeline because it has never had a TV show set in it before, so that we can have the original series characters on TV once again).