1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Trek: Discovery" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by ShadowGUN, Nov 2, 2015.

1. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

Every piece of news has got me less and less excited. This just looks like an edgy generic sci-fi show with the Star Trek name on it. I find that changing the design of the Klingons was unnecessary and is dishonorable (see what I did there) to the original. The creators deserve to spend an eternal dishonor in Gre'thor for what they've done. No one who makes stupid unnecessary redesigns deserves the honor of Sto-vo-kor. That's all I have to say for now. Qapla' everybody.

2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be more expensive, there are plenty of actors who would love to be in Star Trek and Dr Who could be considered an anthology as well.

3. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

This could've actually worked.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, it seems CBS is trying to reconstruct Star Trek while still keeping the name and all. Also, they probably don't want to disenfranchise newer scifi fans with the old legacy, which nearly impossible. I brought up expensive on the makeup and costume designs from the likes of Westmore or Blackman. On this new Klingon design, they better spin it to a storypoint.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

5. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

So instead, they may be disenfranchising older fans with a possible generic, in-name-only rendition of a 51 year old legacy. No offense, but newer fans aren't stupid. To put it in perspective, they'll also know whether or not this show is really Star Trek (Me? I felt the first reboot movie was only Star Trek 50% of the time, but I digress...), meaning the newer fans might end up being "disenfranchised" anyway if this is just going to be another generic in-name-only (dark) melodrama, especially if it's one that ends up being another weekly reminder of how we the viewers are supposedly "wrong" for thinking/believing certain things, and how much the universe sucks (you know, except when it doesn't), and how we supposedly can't do anything about it*, kind of like (some of) the procedurals that another post mentioned (no offense to those who actually watch procedurals). Deep Space Nine already tried to deconstruct the idea of Star Trek (kind of). The last thing any of the fans want to see is a deconstruction of the franchise (which is similar, but slightly different).

As for you, PicardMan, I really think you need to choose your words more carefully...

*None of the "prime" productions ever said the universe was unfair, but they never said it was fair either (after all, sometimes it's fair, and sometimes it's not). The viewers were always given the chance to imagine the possibilities. The fear is that this new show could end up being the exact opposite of that. Oh yeah, and the "realism" explanation isn't going to cut it this time, because Star Trek has never been about being realistic (necessarily) or unrealistic (again, necessarily).

• Like Like x 1
  6. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

I'm an avid follower in the Klingon religion and I don't believe in soft peddling my feelings about the show or it's creators. (maybe if it doesn't suck as much as I expect I'll be okay). I still suspect this show is a Romulan plot to destroy and dishonor the franchise. I'll be brave enough to say that no Romulan shall ever receive honor after his death. I'm sorry if my hate speech against Romulans offends you. Qapla.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Doug Jones on the Klingons and Saru
    Also, I read there's a rumor Meyer is working on a Khan prequel series.

8/5: New poster reveals a new character - a Klingon named Voq. "He is touched by fate and fire."

New info on a tie-in novel and the comic:

A prequel novel "Desperate Hours" is written by veteran Star Trek novelist David Mack. Michael Burnham is the only acting first officer on the USS Shenzhou. A Federation colony comes under attack from a mysterious alien aggressor. Burnham may have to defy Starfleet orders to save the lives of the colonists.

The comic from IDW is written by Mike Johnson and drawn by Tony Shasteen. It goes into the backstories of the Klingon characters.

Show writer Kirsten Beyer will coordinate with the crew on both projects to help integrate the stories smoothly into the main series.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I haven't been too excited about Discovery, either, and do not feel interested in signing up for CBS All Access. I'll admit, I haven't followed the production too closely, and some of this is franchise fatigue leftover from Voyager and Enterprise. Skeptical might be too strong of a word, so maybe its more a wait-and-see attitude.

I was at the convention in Vegas last week, but unfortunately I got in late on the first day, and so I missed the Discovery panels. Don't know if that would have changed my mind at all, but it would have been nice to get some more info and hear what cast/crew had to say.

9. the greenman

Not sure how you could be fatigued on a series that hasn't aired in 15-20 years.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

11. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

There are the Chris Pine movies, but those come out a little infrequently. I think the fourth one may or may not be cancelled. I'm not sure.

12. the greenman

Pine & Hemsworth are attached to that. I think they should treat it like the Voyage Home (4). Nimoy's direction was very funny. With both Pine & Hemsworth it would be awesome to have a father/son buddy film. One thing they need to concentrate on is the trinity of Spock, Bones, and Kirk. Give us something like "City on the Edge of Forever" except with Kirk losing his own father.

13. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

14. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I know. I also expected time, especially by now, to be an elixir. But all those years, with Voyager and Enterprise combined, of feeling like we were getting the mostly the same thing, year after year...I'm finding myself still weary, and wary of yet another show.

15. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

This show is supposed to be serialized rather than episodic, so that could be a change of pace. Of course, Star Trek has used this style of storytelling before, including the shows you are tired of. I remember the Xindi arc and found it to be a cool concept with very frustrating execution.

16. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I was definitely glad they were aspiring to something greater for the last couple seasons of Enterprise. I didn't not watch much of the third season, but I caught all of season 4 and liked it. Really wish that had been the first season and that Manny Coto had had the reins from the start.

I will watch the first episode on CBS, but I'm frustrated about then having to subscribe to their service to get the rest of the episodes. I might end up waiting for the season set. I don't know.

I hope the show does well. I hope its great. I don't have any reason to doubt it will be, I'm just not finding my enthusiasm there yet.

17. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

The problem with season 3 partially revolved around stupid standalone episodes that have little to do with the Xindi story (Vulcan zombie episode, I'm looking at you). Season 4, on the other hand, was a lot of fun for me because it actually dealt with stuff related to the original series instead of the infamous Temporal Cold War non-arc.

It's getting so hard to talk about Discovery on this thread when there's so little we know right now just a little over a month out. We, of course, can wonder how it can compare to the earlier shows.

18. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Not that this will stimulate much meaningful conversation, but here are some of the Discovery costumes that were at the convention. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  19. PicardMan

PicardMan Member

The third image from the top looks like what Malcolm Reynolds would wear if he were cosplaying as a Babylon 5 Centauri. I wonder who wears that outfit on Discovery?

20. the greenman

That looks like Mudd's.