1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Star Trek: Discovery" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by ShadowGUN, Nov 2, 2015.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I don't watch CBS as it is outside of Colbert. I'm sure as hell not gonna pay to get a crappy CBS digital service to watch one thing that would interest me.

Official PR statement

This bit seems to make things interesting:
    I wonder if this could mean Worf is getting his show that Michael Dorn has been advocating for or at least something not set in the all-running, all the time reboot-universe.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Dangit, CBS, get with the program and join Hulu!!

Too early to tell just what's going on here...at MDawg said: is it in the "new" timeline? The "old" timeline? Next Generation era? The Captain Kirk era?

$6 is pretty cheap...I wonder if they'll dump all episodes online at once, like Netflix, or spread them out? I'd like to pay $6 and watch the entire season, and then cancel the service...

3. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Viacom seriously needs it's own kind of streaming service or something Star Trek is too important to Paramount to give up.

4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

And the poor thing won't get a second season I'll bet, not because of merit but because of this asinine subscription sales model.

5. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

This has made me wonder if streaming services are starting to become a "dumping ground" of sorts for shows that the networks (terrestrial or cable) either aren't willing to take a chance on or otherwise don't (or no longer) want to deal with (on a related note, Power Rangers is moving to Netflix in 2017), but goes (far) beyond the scope of this thread.

Suffice it to say, I will agree with one thing: CBS is making a mistake by making this show; the first in the soon-to-be 50 year franchise since Enterprise exclusive to their (paid) streaming service. Also consider this:

ABC has Watch ABC, NBC has their streaming app, Fox has Fox Now, and PBS has their streaming app. Okay, so the first three are free (with a cable subscription; for PBS, I think they need your e-mail address...well for the Roku version, anyway), but still, I hope this doesn't mark the beginning of a possible trend...

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

More and more people are abandoning the broadcast networks in favor of watching their favorite shows on the internet, and the network execs know this. And then you have the "cord cutters" who just watch the internet and don't bother with broadcast TV or cable at all. Network streaming services are hardly a "trend". It's the future. In another decade or so, I predict that the line between network, cable and the internet will be very blurred.

If Syfy were a true science fiction channel, then the new Star Trek series could air there.

#7 Goldstar Neo, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  7. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Not to get too off track, but doesn't that make the old "you can't buy cable channels individually" argument for the cable companies useless then?

This is too big a franchise to be taking a gamble on. Look what happened with Enterprise and UPN.

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Probably, but that won't stop the cable companies from continuing to charge their customers for channels by the package, I'd wager. There are a lot of channels that they know people wouldn't pay for if they had the option to skip them.

Like I said before, Syfy could have aired the series, if science fiction were more of a priority for the channel.

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

Kurtzman? Yeah, that drains most of my interest for the series.... Wake me if Mannny Coto and company get involved...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. wonderfly

I could be misunderstanding, but Syfy is owned by NBC, and Star Trek is co-owned by CBS/Paramount, therefore: No, Syfy channel would not be a fit for airing a brand new Star Trek series.

It's heading that way fast. See the "leaving cable behind" thread on the Entertainment forum, but that's the future, and CBS is banking on that, it seems...

11. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the series, but need more info at this point. I probably won't be paying for this until I get some feedback.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

12. nowlight

nowlight Member

My big question as with most is, what universe is this going to be in? I hope its orginial and set after DS9.

13. the greenman

14. thewintersoldier

thewintersoldier New Member

Always been a little interested in ST, but not as much as other sci fi movies.

15. the greenman

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

2 rumors about the continuity about the series have surfaced.

This sounds like something all Trekkies could get behind.

I suppose think Legends of Tomorrow on CW.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. the greenman

I like the idea of being in between TOS and TNG. However, by jumping back and forth as an anthology will be kinda confusing.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

18. wonderfly

Perhaps an anthology series like "American Horror Story" - a new setting each season?

So something like:

Season 1: Set between "TOS" and "TNG"?
    Season 2: Set in the rebooted/altered new movie-verse?

I'd be down with that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

A few rules for any new Star Trek:

1. Do not let Brannon Braga write anything dealing with evolution.
    2. Do not let Brannon Braga write anything.
    3. No Hippies.
    4. No children.
    5. Get a science consultant.
    6. Listen to science consultant.
    7. Do no use anymore subatomic technobabble that makes no sense.
    8. If technobabble has to be used, at least use it correctly. Get a issue of Scientific American to see how it is done.

• Like Like x 1