Spongebob vs Fairly Odd parents?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by YBP, Apr 24, 2005.

1. YBP

YBP Yamcha's Big Pants

Hey

I've told several people that I lvoe "Fairly Odd Parents" and people look at me with a look of disinterest and say "oh cool...but how cool is Spongebob?"

Does anyone else think that Spongebob is over-rated? Don't get me wrong Spongebob is a great show...but Fairly Odd Parents gets over looked too many times.

What do you think?

2. Fan of Sponge

Fan of Sponge New Member

No, I don't think Spongebob is a overrated cartoon. Spongebob was actually an underdog cartoon six years ago when it first permired. It didn't get really popular when I started to see interest of the show back in 2001 when season two was starting. I just hope season four, which starts in May will be very good compared to some the episodes which weren't good back in season three.

Still Spongebob is not overrated. I mean not only kids are wearing Spongebob stuff, but teenagers, college students, and adults have interest with the show. The show has made 85 million in the US and over 40 million worldwide especially in the UK where the show is starting to take off.

3. Runaway

Runaway Web-Head

I like SpongeBob SquarePants better than Fairly OddParents by a little bit. :zim:

4. Elven Moon

Elven Moon hiya, toonsters

Spongebob is so overexposed I've come to seriously dislike it. I don't normally voluntarily watch it. I prefer Fairly Oddparents.

5. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

Both shows have had there ups and downs. By that I mean some episodes being hillarious, and others being pretty dull.

But to tell you the truth, I thinks its to close to call for me.

For me the crowning achievment for FOP was the movie "Channel Chasers" which was in my opinion one of the best things Nick had all last year. But I've also found the Fairlyodd parents practice of repeating jokes several times an episode to be rather trying at times.

Spongebob, I think, has some pretty fun poses and expressions. But for me the thing that truly lifts the show for me in Tom Kenny's inspired voice acting. The show often stands and falls on how well he's doing (the other voice actors are pretty good to though).

6. YBP

YBP Yamcha's Big Pants

I agree, but it's not so much that Spongebob isn't good, it's just that Fairly Odd parents *is*. It's like Spongebob overshadows Fairly Odd Parents

7. jarjar23

jarjar23 New Member

Definetly SpongeBob. The new FOP episodes are not that good, imo.

8. Natey

Natey blank

both i seen every eps like 100000000000000000 times so its annoying but i wud proably say FOP but band geeks for spongebob will neva get old:p

9. Tak Mazé

Tak Mazé Worms and plastic minnows!

They both air far too often. I can't choose which I prefer, they both have their own kinds of pazzaz!

10. LightShadow1890

LightShadow1890 ..needs to change her avatar.

Not sure. I seriously say "neither", but that's just me.

Well, to me, Spongebob is to Nick as DBZ is to CN/Toonami...in terms of popularity and airing. I kind of do think that Spongebob is overrated, actually. But stating all the reasons why would be bordering around flamebait.

11. *The Person*

*The Person* Guest

Spongebob Squarepants. It has stupidy and songs. I like fairly odd parents but I like spongebob more.

12. ixiah

ixiah Nooblet

Both shows seem to rely on stupidity for humor. But I'd have to say SBSP does it better. Their style is more subtle and well timed. FOP's style is just crude. They hit you in the face with something that comes out of nowhere like "YAY RABIES!" and assume its funny. Sometimes it is funny when it surprises you the first time but don't expect to get surprised by the same gag 3 times in a row in the same episode.

Although Channel Chasers is indeed a treat. I really liked it. But their ordinary episodes... meh...

13. James_Batista

James_Batista Hatchling's Shell

I adore SpongeBob SquarePants, but I fully understand those who thinks he has become severely overexposed. I have personally grown tired of seeing SBSP merchandising EVERYWHERE, possibly even more so than Bob Marley and Betty Boop :shrug:

The funny thing is that at one time, SpongeBob was actually UNDERRATED. When I was a member of the Nick.com forums many years back(Don't ask), activity on the SBSP board was quite slow while most other show boards were brimming with activity. What a difference a few years make...

I was never a big follower of FOP, but I quite enjoy it everytime I see it. My favorite moment was the Star Wars/Spider-Man/Jurassic Park 3-in-1 spoof.

14. ryuuseipro

ryuuseipro New Member

I prefer FOP, hands down. It's one of my favorite cartoons. It's a really fast-paced and wacky show, and the characters are really wild & crazy! Sure, some episodes aren't as good (mostly the ones not directed by Butch Hartman), but it's better than nothing!

I've seen Spongebob. I like it, but I don't find it to be the Center of the Nick Universe (For me, that would be Ren & Stimpy and Invader ZIM). That's what Nickelodeon did to Rugrats, and it gradually became mediocre.

Furthermore, Spongebob promotes tolerance, but like South Park's Mr. Garrison once said, you can only tolerate so much. Spongebob himself was the epitome of annoyance. Yeah, I'm being too hard on it, but it's not really my thing, not as much as FOP is.

Some people hate both shows, or just Nick in general for cancelling Ren & Stimpy (which is moot now, as Nick relinquished the rights to Spike TV, another Viacom channel, and John K. has more creative freedom) and Invader ZIM (Jhonen Vasquez had a love-hate experience working on the show, so I can understand his not caring to do the show anymore; I'd rather ZIM be cancelled and remain a short-lived classic than have someone like Bob Camp mess it up).

I love those shows, but I try to make the best of Nick as best as I can. FOP is my favorite show there, as is Jimmy Neutron and My Life as a Teenage Robot. Those shows, you have to admit, are a fresh escape from the Clasky-Csupo-era (which had infested Nickelodeon for a long time), as well as a number of other mediocre shows they did in that era (mostly to one-up Ren & Stimpy)!

15. Frank

Frank Active Member

Spongebob has an overall better art style and is more funnier (the Season 1 and 2 ones and one or two Season 3 eps), but it hasn't been good lately. Lets hope Season 4 comes out good!

Fairly Oddparents has simplified art style and character designs but it can be funny at times. Unfortunately, the show has declined since Season 1 and the characters have become more shallow and annoying. Don't get me wrong, but in its prime, the show was very good and funny! But the recent episodes are not as good as the older ones.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2005
  16. Frank

Frank Active Member

That's true!

17. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

I agree that Channel Chasers was quite good, but the regular episodes of FOP don't do much for me. Fairy magic aside, it's a little too grounded for my taste and none of the characters really grab me.

Spongebob on the other hand I love, and agree that Kenny's performance may be what takes it to the next level.. He's just fantastic. The expressions are a big part of it too. Half the laughs come just from Spongebob's exaggerated reactions to whatever silliness is going on.

Even Spongebob isn't perfect though. Some episodes I can watch over and over again, but there are also a number which are quite bland. Generally speaking the more screentime Spongebob and Mr. Krabs get the better. Better still if they're together.

18. rrznn

rrznn New Member

spongebob- gay homo that nobody iknows what is he (a kid, a adult, male/female, etc)

fairy godparents is better, though the storylines are expected. (loser 10 yr old getting help from something else)

19. SailorMiniKitty

SailorMiniKitty W.i.t.c.h. and Winx Fan!

Spongebob.... i havn't seen any of the 4th season yet, but i've probably seen the rest... since i don't keep tack of which season the eps are from i dont really care... i just really enjoying watching it cuz it give me a laugh ^^ love Patrick too....