1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"SpongeBob Squarepants" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by SweetShop209, May 5, 2015.

1. SmileyToonatic

Pineapple Invasion wasn't as good as Food Con Castaways, but it it was enjoyable. Unfortunately this one drags on a bit, but not too much, so it's ok. I like how stealthy Gary was and how he set up the chain reaction trap to stop Plankton.

2. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Pineapple Invasion and Salsa Imbecilicus were pretty great/funny,

Plankton's evil scheme to get the Crabby Patty Secret Formula with the skunk was epic/brilliant.

Seeing both Mr. Krabs and the Bikini Bottom fish people suffer was satisfying since they were horrible to poor Squidward, go Plankton:D!!!!

Gary's major focus was great, his clever stealthy character vs. Plankton was awesome/funny.

Poor Plankton crazy at the end was funny, hehehe.

Plankton's next evil scheme on making everyone stupid like Patrick was great.

Both SpongeBob, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Plankton, and the Bikini Bottom fish people going stupid was so funny, hahahahaha:p.

Sandy/Karen saving the day was great, poor Sandy to save those awful Bikini Bottom fish people though.

Nice seeing Plankton beat Mr. Krabs before his humiliating loss.

3. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

I do find it odd since SpongeBob had 2 mil viewers for new episode and yet very few people talks about it. Could this be more targeted outside of our target range, like most adults than kids? Just an opinion

4. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Sandy's Nutmare - The plot starts off alright but gets notably better as it progresses. There's enough twists to make it engaging, and it culminates in a nice environmental message that, while a bit on-the-nose, is a good one to teach. Humor-wise, I think this episode is one of the weaker ones of the season, though I did get a couple of laughs out of the Shaman's stories at the end. I think all the positive elements combined are enough to make this a good one.

Food Con Castaways - Easily the best episode of the week. The first half is probably the most consistently hilarious this season has been so far, with a ton of great lines and visual gags, but even the part after the crew gets stranded has some very funny moments as well, especially in terms of the creative facial expressions, even if it's lighter on comedy overall by comparison. The plot is really solid, and the conflict of everyone but Spongebob wanting to eat the last patty feels very two-sided. Even the atmosphere in the forest is incredible, between the backgrounds, the lighting, and the sound effects. It's a really enjoyable ride overall, and one of the absolute best of the season IMO.

Pineapple Invasion - I'm surprised by how much I liked this one too. The gags here felt more out of the box than usual, and what I really like is that some that you'd think would be throwaways actually come back later as a plot point like the benefits of having to smell stenches. While the plot is fairly standard for most of it, there's definitely a lot of creativity in how things unfold and it does lead to some pretty funny twists. It may not be the most clever or best-written episode, but of all the episodes this week, I think this one had the best executed story.

Salsa Imbeclius - This one also had a lot of creative scenarios, but unfortunately I think the middle half significantly bogged down my enjoyment of the episode. A lot of it felt less like the Bikini Bottomites were acting like Patrick and more like they were just severely brain damaged. I don't know, I find it hard to believe that even season 8's Patrick would just mindlessly walk into others like they did. That being said, I did like that Sandy was put into the hero position here and the college section is humorous enough and something we haven't quite seen from this series before. My absolute favorite part was seeing Plankton as the school bully; it's the kind of thing you really don't see coming but makes perfect sense at the same time. It's probably my least favorite of the week but it still has its moments for sure.

So yeah, considering each episode this week offered at least a few things I really enjoyed, I'd say this season is getting better and better with every new batch we get.

5. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

I'll post my thoughts of this week's episodes later (I still need to see the last two aired episodes), but I just wanna tell you that it's been already a year since this new era had gotten. Can't believe time had flew fast and we entered a new era of SpongeBob. I'll still be talking the difference between this and post-movie sequel in this post.

I think someone here does have a point. It feels refreshing to have different set of writers after having the same writers (and storyboard directors except Aaron Springer and Sean Charmatz who already left after season 8; although most of the outline writers like story editor Steven Banks, Dani Michaeli, Richard Pursel had left before season 9) for so long. It's better to have some variety in the writing team instead of just having (almost) the same staff writers for awhile. As someone that didn't minded Casey Alexander and Zeus Cervas, I guess they (and Brookshier) needed to move on as they're probably tired of working on the same shows for years. Both Casey and Zeus are now at Uncle Grandpa (gasp!- yes really). Casey's work is more or less the same as his SpongeBob but less infamous as he's more a story writer and storyboard supervisor (early episodes) supervising director (in the later episodes). Sadly, Zeus didn't improved at all (the only Uncle Grandpa episode he worked on I liked was Messy Bessy). Luke and Marc also moved on to Uncle Grandpa. Brookshier only did Funny Face, Nickname, UG ate my Homework and Big in Japan (with Dominic Bisigano). Marc worked on it for three seasons with Ryan Kramer (who storyboarded the Food Con episode) but eventually left to return on SpongeBob (kind of a full circle).

I think with a new writing team, the characterization had gotten much better (season 8 and first half of 9 showed some signs). Thanks to them, Flanderization is almost no where to be found. SpongeBob is still naive but not too annoying (except Food Con in the beginning), Patrick is dumb in a funnt way but not too jerkish (except the Fishbowl), Squidward's abuse is justified when he acts like a jerk (Squid Plus One, Patrick the Game), Krabs acts like a father figure (Tutor Sauce) instead of being greedy all the time, Plankton is probably the same but more villainous rather than being sympathetic. Season 9.2's writing staff consists of Jack Pendarvis (from Adventure Time, though this is only for this season), story editor Kyle McCulloch (who worked on Skill Crane 10 years ago before he came back, also only for this season), Kaz (he returned after so long), Mr. Lawrence (wrote Lame and Fortune, but he will be promoted to story editor soon), Andrew Goodman (he wrote Sandy's Nutmare and he will be promoted to staff writer next season), as well as Daniel Dominguez & Josh Dominguez, Clare O'Kane, and Soloman Georgio (they're all freelance writers for this season). This is already more writers than season 9.1 which only had Alexander/Cervas, Blake Lemons, Brookshier/Ceccarelli, Mr. Lawrence (who hadn't left yet), and Derek Iversen (who still gets credited as an animation writer).

I follow Vincent Waller on Twitter and he had tweeted a lot of great news about the future of SpongeBob. He told us that the animation will get better and they're making the facial expressions more cartoony. Ben Gruber (writer of many TTG season 3 episodes) is stated to write for next season.

I also noticed that Dee Bradley Baker had't been voicing characters in the show lately. He still appeared in some like Squid Plus One (Norton), Sanctuary! (the snails), What's Eating Patrick (Perch Perkins), and The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (sewer monster), but it's like the casting director noticed that they got other voice actors besides using him for recurring/oneshot characters. I think this is a good thing because it allows the show to have more variety in voice actors. So far, the era got 5 guest stars (one of them which who already played a character earlier this season, which is Michael McKean), and they even brought other voice actors to do some role in the shows: Jeff Bennett (Charlton/Food ventor in the sewer episode, three other characters in LongPants), James Arnold Taylor (Nick Fishkins, Ishopd in Sold!), and recently Eric Bauza who voices the Shaman in Sandy's Nutmare.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Let me say how surprising it is to see season 9 finally finish, for what took 4 years to do, how the show really managed to improve from the season itself, and how it took a really long time to get to this point considering the 2nd movie ate up the production of this season, in short can't believe to see what this show went through in season 9 alone and how long it took to go through this one season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PinkiePie97

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. PinkiePie97

11. Toon4Thought

You'd think they would be at least a little more consistent about airing new episodes of a show that still does a lot of good for them.

12. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

New SpongeBob is still going to air every Saturdays in October month

13. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

If those are the season 9 episodes in November It just seems weird that Nick would still want to stall season 9's official end, but if its 10 I could buy that.

14. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Bulletin Board episode for what I watched is kinda weird. Anybody else want to make a comment? It's on nick.com

15. PinkiePie97

I feel like the episode was poking fun at people who troll online message boards.

16. Toon4Thought

I just found out that the season 10 premiere is going to be directed by Bob Jaques, who is mostly remembered as the animation director for the Carbunkle-animated episodes of "Ren and Stimpy" (and what most consider to be the best-looking eps of that series). As if the animation in the current era of SB wasn't good enough already.

17. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

Seems like the show has been hiring a couple of Ren and Stimpy legends lately (first Bob Camp, then Lynne Naylor).

18. SmileyToonatic

I'm confused. Has Bulletin Board actually aired or not? I watched it on Nick.com already but can't tell if it has officially aired.

19. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Ya, that was listed on October premieres right? They also put in promo confirming new Spongebob every Saturdays 10:30. Just only one 10 minute episode. Bulletin board aired last Saturday. If only you would've paid attention to promos and watched Saturday morning, then you'd notice it

20. PinkiePie97

It aired. I recorded it and watched it on Saturday.