1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"SpongeBob Squarepants" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by SweetShop209, May 5, 2015.

1. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

Why does nobody like Spongebob? :( :eek:
    I love it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I think he meant it's not hard to believe Spongebob is still making new episodes.

3. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

I thought the two recent episodes were okay. I must admit, it was a pretty clever idea for Plankton to disguise himself as money to try and get the Krabby Pattie secret formula from Mr. Krabs. It kind of makes you wonder why he didn't do that before. I was also surprised to see the return of the Sea Bears from "The Camping Episode".

4. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

The Fishbowl - There is some good dialogue and decent conflict, but for an episode that felt very original in concept for this late in the game and gave the complete central focus to Sandy for once, most of it felt surprisingly forgettable. It definitely wasn't without its moments, but I don't see much of a reason to rewatch it.

Married to Money - As predictable as this plot is, there is a lot to like about the direction. This is easily one of Plankton's more creative and convincing plans, and I like that they don't show him very often so the audience can become a bit more invested in Mr. Krabs' side of the story. The colors and shading are particularly great here, almost reaching "Sponge Out of Water" territory at times. I don't remember that much humor, but I did find the very end strangely amusing in just how blatant the depressing air felt. It may not be a particularly funny or compelling episode, but I think it has enough good elements to keep it relatively afloat.

Sharks vs. Pods - It started out straightforward enough with Spongebob finding himself joining in a gang of sharks, with some decently humorous bits of Spongebob talking in Fonz-speak (speaking of the Fonz, Henry Winkler is just kind of there IMO), but the plot goes in so many other directions afterward with most of the jokes coming out of nowhere that it feels like the writer legitimately didn't know where else to go with the setup. Some of the twists and visual gags in the second half were pretty good but overall this episode left very little effect on me.

CopyBob DittoPants - This is probably the closest to pre-movie territory season 9 has reached so far. Like Kaz's last episode, the plot wastes no time to get started, but unlike "Longpants" it runs with one fun concept from beginning to end. The humor, while I can't see many memes being formed from this, kept me laughing fairly often. The twists are all kept at the right amount of silly, one of which involving the Sponge himself took this kind of plot in a direction that I haven't really seen before, which impressed me as a result. Pretty much everything about this episode worked for me, making this the best episode of the whole week.

Sold! - Pretty entertaining as well. I really liked the idea of Spongebob and Patrick taking the commercial too literally and in the complete wrong way, along with Squidward rolling with it for his own selfish pleasures. Unfortunately, the episode loses some steam when it becomes about Squidward having to imitate the "new owners". It's fun in its own right, with some great vocal work by Roger Bumpass, but it doesn't feel quite as creative as what we got before. And the ending with his house becoming unfit to sell felt like too much of a punishment. Even with my gripes though, it's hard for me to not find at least some good with this one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frizzbee

Frizzbee Member

My favorite out of the week is "sharks vs pods"

6. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

I still need catch up to the other three episodes from last week. "Sharks vs. Pods" does sound like an interesting one.

7. MrTortellini00

The Fishbowl is the worst post-second movie episode so far.
    Aside from that episode, the week of months was pretty solid. There were episodes that exceeded my expectations (Married to Money) or episodes that were fun to watch (CopyBob DittoPants). Can't wait for Lame and Fortune!

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrIcyTea

MrIcyTea New Member

The Fishbowl was just really forgettable, I feel like that with most Sandy-centered episodes in post-Spongebob Movies 1 and 2 anyways.

9. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

10. Toon4Thought

I love that they actually re-scanned the original 1999 drawings to make this. The new island will take some getting used to, though, and it's kind of weird that this debuted on a rerun.

11. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Spongebob has been overdue for an high definition intro for some time now - and that looks really dang good.

If the animators really did find and reuse the original drawings, then kudos to them. It paid off.

12. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

The intro looks good in HD with the animation looking more improved and pretty decent.
    Though I still think they should of made it HD when season 9 1/2 came.

13. Toon4Thought

I distinctly remember seeing a tweet from Vincent Waller months ago that said they did.

14. SmileyToonatic

Aw man! I missed the new SpongeBob today! I'll have to catch it on Nick West.

15. Toon4Thought

"Lame and Fortune" felt like two different plots were being mashed together. The first half is about the fortune cookies themselves and what they cause, while the second half is Plankton using his own fortune cookies to sabotage the Krusty Krab. True, the fact the fortune cookies actually come true does somewhat connect to the Plankton section in a way, but the connection didn't feel too necessary and I think these both could have been stronger had they been able to be their own episodes. As it is, while there's definitely some decent creativity and a couple of great moments (the 'my leg' reference stands out in particular, largely due to him being voiced by Mr. Lawrence, who also wrote this episode), I think this one is just okay.

#55 Toon4Thought, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  16. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Sharks vs. Pods, Lame and Fortune, and Sold! were pretty great/funny,

The Sharks and the Pods, my favorite awesome new characters, cool to see some shark characters in the show:D.

SpongeBob talking in Fonz-speak was funny, Henry Winkler, Michael McKean, and David Lander guest starring was great.

The whole fortune cookies' fortunes coming true was great/funny.

Sheldon Plankton/Karen's major role there was great/funny, Sheldon Plankton's evil plan was great, but I root for Sheldon Plankton to kick Mr. Krabs' butt.

Poor Squidward/Sheldon Plankton can't catch a break as usual.

SpongeBob/Patrick's stupidity getting a new home and Squidward's evil plan to get rid of them were great/funny.

#56 Radical, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  17. SmileyToonatic

Okay, just saw Lame and Fortune. It was okay, the best part of it really was the jokes, especially the joke when Mr. Krabs "dies" from a fortune :) Plankton's scheme was really original, how he changes the fortunes. One of the best new ones in awhile, but the best recent episode was CopyBob DittoPants.

18. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

I think I realized why more recent episodes have been noticeably better than most of modern Spongebob.

From the looks of things, the show has been cycling through a different batch of writers during the latter half of season nine than in the past nine years alone, many of whose names I do not recognize. The increasing presence of former writers such as Kaz and Mr. Lawrence certainly doesn't hurt either.

For the longest time, the only writers whose names I saw consistently appearing for post-movie episodes were Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas and Luke Brookshier. Now I'm sure there are other writers that I overlooked, but those are the three that come to mind the most. In fact, a quick find-in-page search on the Wikipedia list for Spongebob episodes shows that their names appear the most out of almost everyone (86 times, 87 times, and 76 times respectively). Even the most prominent writers of the first three seasons didn't garner that many results! (Though Aaron Springer is the closest at 72.)

It appears that what we're seeing here is a break up of the monotony that's been holding the show back for so long, and in doing so, others writers now have their time to shine, and so far it seems to be paying off. The show may never recapture the magic of its first four years, but it's a welcome step in the right direction - and considering that the majority episodes from the past four seasons range from average at best to unbearable at worst, it is a much needed change of pace.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. SmileyToonatic

Sandy's Nutmare was good, I think facial expression-wise, the show is doing well. Humor-wise, it's kinda hit or miss. My favorite part in the episode was when SpongeBob met the Garden Guru, it was probably the most exciting part. I also like how the art style was changed when the guru told SpongeBob, Patrick and Sandy the ancient sky story about the sun, star and moon.

20. SmileyToonatic

WHOA! Did anyone see Food Con Castaways? IT WAS GREAT!! The jokes were funny and the plot didn't drag on, which is common with this season. But today's episode was phenomenal! Hands down best season 9 episode. Whenever Patrick, Squidward and Mr. Krabs try to steal the last Krabby Patty from SpongeBob was just priceless.